It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pope says those who insult religion should expect a punch on the nose

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 06:27 PM
link   
It takes more than a "punch on the nose" to fix delusions of grandeur

but what would the pope know about that.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 06:33 PM
link   
See, herein lies a huge part off this problem. Charlie Hebdo didn't insult their religion, they insulted a man... Even their religion, itself, considers him such with no flesh became god properties attributed to him and no grace about him. That's not insulting someone's religion, nor someone's mother (or any other relative)... those who attempt to portray an insult directed at a man as an attack on religion have elevated the man to worshiped status, also known as idol worship.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 06:36 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Yes exactly what I've been saying burdman...

Idolatry & Murder in the name of the Prophet are what is truly offensive about all of this!

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 06:37 PM
link   
He's the frickin' pope! Let him say what he wants about anything he likes...his fanbase is massive for-cryin'-out-loud...then again, I'd be vocal on a whole bunch o' things, if it meant I didn't need to focus on my own 'house'...dude seems to have a lot to say about the splinters in others' eyes...

Å99

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 06:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

He essentially insinuated that religion shouldn't be mocked, whilst I ask why? What gives religion the privilege for not being mocked? What's so special about religion? He puts himself up there, spouting about the Lord's wishes, how we should lead our lives and the like.

Why would a man be insulted by a person talking smack on his mother? That's the second time that you've used the term privilege and I don't see where any such privilege exists or was even implied. To me what he said was much more about saying that it's wrong to mock somebody's religion (but couldn't the same be said of anything that a person hold's dear — his mother for instance?). Seems like some basic golden rule type stuff to me. The part of his comments that were latched onto for the topic of this thread was simply an unnecessary analogy with the cautionary message that people will sometimes react violently to insults. Again, this is common sense s# that any 5 year-old child knows intuitively.

What gives him the right to suggest how I lead my life and what I find funny or should find offensive?

So you're offended by his comments? That's a bit ironic isn't it? Is there a right associated with one's ability to offer free advice?

I have never killed anyone in the name of a fictional invisible being, so I don't quite understand what your point is.

I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. I wasn't making any point other than that people are overreacting and making a big deal over some fairly innocuous comments. It seems to me that he really hit a nerve with quite a number of people which, given the subject, is pretty ironic.
edit on 2015-1-15 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Its all cool as long as i can punch the pope in the face if he tells me fairies and leprechauns don't exist.

Puddles

Q

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 06:59 PM
link   
After reading about "the last Pope" prophecy. Jesuit control of the Papacy. And then hearing about Albert Pike's three world wars where the third world war will be a war between Islam and Israel and that Christianity will be destroyed by atheism. www.threeworldwars.com...

Now we have the Pope's softening of dogma that have disillusioned some christian and now that is followed by his call to defend the church with violence. Maybe those doves being attacked by black birds was a sign that the church is changing from peaceful to violent under this Pope. Is this the start of a holy war or WWIII? Islamic terrorists attacking Jews in France? Pope declaring war on "atheism"?

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 07:02 PM
link   
a reply to: dieseldyk

and now that is followed by his call to defend the church with violence

I know, lets all ignore what the man really said and talk about a bunch of things he didn't say instead because that's more interesting.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 07:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
a reply to: dieseldyk

and now that is followed by his call to defend the church with violence

I know, lets all ignore what the man really said and talk about a bunch of things he didn't say instead because that's more interesting.

It is really, what he's not saying (or more specifically, doing) about the corporation of which he is the CEO.

Å99

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 07:20 PM
link   

edit on 073131p://bThursday2015 by Stormdancer777 because: stay out of it

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Would you like to see the pope on the end of a rope. Do you think he's a fool.

~ Black Sabbath

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 08:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: akushla99
He's the frickin' pope! Let him say what he wants about anything he likes...his fanbase is massive for-cryin'-out-loud...then again, I'd be vocal on a whole bunch o' things, if it meant I didn't need to focus on my own 'house'...dude seems to have a lot to say about the splinters in others' eyes...

Å99

The problem with that is when he starts advocating for curtailing freedom of speech and then tacitly admitting that violence in the name of one's religion is understandable. Both troubling positions for someone with, as you say, such a huge fan base.

Do you really want to see Christians moved to return to violence in the name of their religion on a large scale because the Pope said it was understandable that people who insult it should be punched in the nose?

I don't.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 08:18 PM
link   
a reply to: cuckooold

I really don't see how he's out of line. If you insult someone you have a chance to be punished for it. I'm not saying and he's not saying that it's ok to kill, but that you should be ready for consequences. You see those crazy Christians picketing funerals and they've been beat down before too. If someone insulted my mom I'd retaliate also. Just not as violent as murdering people. These guys took it way too far. They should've done something else to communicate their anger, but yes they did have a reason to be mad. Free speach pisses people off all the time.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Really confused here.

I thought the Pope was only quoted as saying he'd give anyone who insulted his mother a punch on the nose?

Did he say, those who insult religion get a punch on the nose, or insulted his mother, or both??

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 08:20 PM
link   
a reply to: cuckooold

I want to punch this fool of a man (the pope) hard as I can in the face...multiple time. HE along with his ideology is a joke and religion itself is a major problem for all.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 08:22 PM
link   
The concept of a pope is asinine. His opinion means less than nothing to me. You go kiss his pinky ring if you want.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 08:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: auroraaus

I thought the Pope was only quoted as saying he'd give anyone who insulted his mother a punch on the nose?

I was confused as well, I was sure I read "insult my mother and expect a punch"

Your mother

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 09:09 PM
link   
My oh my.... Wasn't Jesus all about forgive n forget?

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 09:27 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

The problem with that is when he starts advocating for curtailing freedom of speech and then tacitly admitting that violence in the name of one's religion is understandable. Both troubling positions for someone with, as you say, such a huge fan base.

Do you really want to see Christians moved to return to violence in the name of their religion on a large scale because the Pope said it was understandable that people who insult it should be punched in the nose?

I don't.

This isn't a freedom of speech issue. Freedom of speech/expression is a political right to express oneself without interference from authority. There is also a difference between acknowledging that some people will react violently to insults in some cases and endorsing violent reactions to insults.

To illustrate my point:

Once when I was a boy, as young boys are apt to do, I said something rude to a female classmate and she slapped me across my face.

Was she attempting to prevent me from exercising my legal right to express myself or is it simply that she was insulted and acted in a manner she deemed appropriate? Am I giving some sort of tacit approval to slapping by posting the above sentence? If I tell my nephew that he should be considerate and that speaking rudely to girls might carry with it a consequence — being slapped — would that be an endorsement of children slapping one another?

Elsewhere in his comments, the Pope plainly expressed condemnation for the terrorist attack in Paris and also made a point of saying, "To kill in the name of God is an aberration." In my opinion there wasn't a deliberate attempt by the Pope to excuse violence in the name of God or religion.

That said, I disagree with the sentiment (as I understood it to be) expressed by the Pope. There is no place in modern society for nuts, religious or not, who react to insults with murder. In my opinion, the terrorist attacks in Paris pretty much made printing a million issues of Charlie Hebdo, with the cartoon on the cover, completely necessary. Not doing so would have been tantamount to giving in to terrorists and that would only encourage more terrorism.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 09:50 PM
link   
It is funny how people today think that their freedom of speech should not invoke any negative reactions. If one decides to partake in antagonism of any kind expect a wide range of responses most likely none good, religion or no religion.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join