It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Journalists accidentally photographed a top-secret Russian submarine

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I wasn't implying this is a Borei, you are right about it not being that boat in the article… the part I brought was about armament. Just that its a missile boat, maybe. They are developing muti role vessels, this one is new.

Can't tell either if there is a "hump", the boat is too low in the water. Maybe intentionally?

Can't see the rear deck from above, either. Again, how do you know its "apparently outfitted for reconnaissance"?

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Based on reports of the class. It was designed to go very deep and take samples, according to the Russian designers.

It's too small to be a missile submarine, and even low in the water you would be able to tell there was a hump in the deck for missiles. It comes up right behind the conning tower, and slopes down further down the deck towards the rear of it. This deck is perfectly flat.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Looks like a stretched Oscar class to me. Looks a little cleaner, though, either they improved the anechoic tiles or left them off.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

It does now that you mention it. I thought that conning tower looked familiar but couldn't place the class. Some of the numbers they're saying are nuts. This thing can go extremely deep.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 02:02 PM
link   

t comes up right behind the conning tower, and slopes down further down the deck towards the rear of it. This deck is perfectly flat.

okaaay…

!0831

search results

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 02:06 PM
link   

That would explain the lack of tiles. They would fall off as the hull compressed and expanded on a deep dive. I was watching "Down Periscope" the other night. The scene where the Chief hangs the cord across the hull and it sags during the dive isn't made up. I saw the same thing on a 688 boat in 1985.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

I thought the same thing...reminds me of the movie Down Periscope

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 02:28 PM
link   

An article in Russian and a bunch of sub pics proves.....

Project 10831

AS-31

What's that? Devoid of weapons you say?

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 03:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: grey580
a reply to: smurfy

is it me or does that have windowed deck?

interesting.

You have a great point there. It does look like there are windows...

Zaphod58, please explain. You seem to have a great insight of this topic. I would like to know about, what look likes, windows.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: SirKonstantin

This is the first I've looked into this boat with any detail. Give me some time and I'll see if there's anything out there.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Yeah,

Because i was reading somewhere that this sub can go lower than most in the world. Would be hard to accomplish with glass. Yet, if it is do-able. That would certainly give an edge in battle.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 03:51 PM
link   

It most likely won't be armed. Too deep and any sort of opening is a Bad Thing, including torpedo tubes. Add in the size, and the tiny crew, and this thing would be brutal to try to fight.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Several classes of Russian submarines have windows in the conning tower (the B-39 on display in San Diego comes to mind). The section of the conning tower with the windows floods during submergence, negating any pressure difference. I believe they are there so that portion of the conning tower can be used for watch standing during inclement weather.

**Did some more reasearch, and it seems some boats also have/had a secondary bridge where the boat could be steered from while navigating a harbor
edit on 15-1-2015 by JJRichey because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Some great pics of other Russian boats, some with conning tower windows.
englishrussia.com...

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 06:00 PM
link   
a reply to: JJRichey

That actually makes a lot of sense. Smart too.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 07:16 PM
link   

What's that? Devoid of weapons you say?

Famous last words. So boat in the OP pic is a "research" vessel, got it.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Yes, because you have to have something to test a concept and see if it works. The first is used for research to test the concept.

At the depths this boat will operate, even with tubes closed, that's a structural weakness that could lead to disaster. Not to mention that 25 crew members would make fighting this thing a nightmare.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 07:20 PM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

I went to school with a guy that just had gotten out of the Navy. He was on fast attack subs. He said the bulkheads would shrink at depth and you had to be careful not to hit your head.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 07:20 PM
link   
*refresh made comment not needed
edit on 15-1-2015 by noeltrotsky because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Windows in battle? It's pretty dark deep under the ocean...?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join