It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Journalists accidentally photographed a top-secret Russian submarine

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 12:00 PM
link   
newstwenty4seven.com...

A big oops.

Score for people with cameras!

I know next to nothing about this sub. What's so special about it?

Members of military Internet forums found on one of the photos of the Russian version of the magazine Top Gear image secret of the deep sea submarines of the Northern fleet.

In the photo to the article "Splashes of white," which tells a test rally Mercedes-Benz GL 450 to Arkhangelsk, depicts the deep nuclear submarine AC-12 project 10831, known as "Losharik". The photo was taken from the shore of the White sea, where the vehicle is tested on-road quality.

opinion experts, this is one of the first high-quality photos of Losharik", which is considered one of the most secret Russian submarines.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 12:11 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

No one knows for sure. Russia was going with a mothership/parasite sub idea several years ago, and it's thought this might be a result of that design philosophy, but it's larger than the designs were in that study.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Does it look like a fishing boat when partially submerged

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Wow, it's black and ... well submarine-shaped! If I had seen that, I wouldn't have known it was super secret. I wonder what gave it away?

I thought Russia's submarine fleet was in bad condition these days?

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

Their older boats are. They have at least two, possibly three new designs in development, including a new boomer that just entered service.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Well the article says it's designed for underwater operations. It might have a mini sub for scientific study.

In any case I'm sure our military will be examining this pic carefully.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

No, they weren't talking mini-subs, they were talking a full on parasite attack submarine carried on the back of a larger sub.

This particular boat is known as the Losharik. It is designed for very deep water ops, and is able to take soil and other samples. Other than that not much is known about it.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 12:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Very deep water? How deep are undersea fiber optic cables?

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

It's similar to the USS Jimmy Carter. It's designed to go deep and tap cables and perform other espionage tactics.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Better image…

here

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 12:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
Better image…

here

Good work intrptr

You can use the ATS link as well,

files.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 15-1-2015 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

That long back deck is indicative of a Boomer, right?

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

No. The bigger Russian boomers traditionally have had missiles in front of the sail. Larger fast attack submarines have a long back deck as well. A missile submarine would have a hump on the back deck, to allow for more room for the missiles. The new Russian missile boat is the first to put the missiles behind the sail.

edit on 1/15/2015 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 01:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

That long back deck is indicative of a Boomer, right?

Funny thing, when you say that, the Soviet BM subs had a big long raised hump running back from the conning tower, or some of them did, the one in the picture is akin to the American sub in the outline.
edit on 15-1-2015 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Just about all missile subs do. It makes more room for the missiles, that are usually longer than the hull width.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Yah. War is boring, anyway.

But the real renovation is in the armament. The submarines carry 16 nuclear-tipped RSM-56 Bulava missiles, each with 10 independent warheads, designed “to thwart evolving Western ballistic-missile defense shields,” Spahn explains. The new missile is capable of “post-launch maneuvers” and can “deploy a variety of countermeasures to defend against interception.”

article

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 01:18 PM
link   

is it me or does that have windowed deck?

interesting.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Different boat though. This one appears to be designed for espionage, not carrying missiles.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 01:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Different boat though. This one appears to be designed for espionage, not carrying missiles.

Hows that?

An above shot of that long back deck of the vessel in the photo is missing. My guess is there are missile hatches lining it.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 01:32 PM
link   

The Borei class is designed to carry missiles. This isn't a Borei class.

Borei Class SSBN

Borei

Delta IV

There's no hump on the back to allow for missiles.

Long deck doesn't mean missiles.

The length of the Losharik is 200 feet long. The Borei is almost 600 feet long. Delta class missile subs are over 400 feet long.

Missile submarines are usually longer, and have a taller deck.
edit on 1/15/2015 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join