It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gotta love double standards ..

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Watching this entire fiasco with charlie hebdo have to laugh at the idiocy of western double standards ..
make fun of / insult islam its freedom of speach .. speak out against israel get called anti-semite .. arrested.. jailed,, fined .. your life destroyed .. say something about another race they find offensive youre charged with a hate crime ..

so how many more must end up dead in bodybags because some fearmongering hatefilled bigot spouts off things that they know will cause tensions to rise and more people to die ?

and to top it off everyone conforming like good brainwashed slaves of the state supporting "free speach" ..

Well I am NOT charlie and I damn well will not conform to idiocy that costs human lives .. and causes further divisions and hate ...

Meh.. enjoy your slavery and conformity ..
You may now flame away .. time for another drink .. cigar .. and continue the search for sanity in an insane world ..

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 08:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Expat888

Really admire your bravery Expat...

I said the same thing in the original Hebdo thread...

I now empathise with Pariahs, because that's what I was made out to be just for pointing to the stupidity...

God forbid people do that...
Because then they're terrorist sympathisers, rather than rational people who would take into consideration the off chance of a massacre before putting others in danger, with a cartoon that has no real meaning or viable application to everyone's daily lives...

The attack was heinous...
That doesn't negate stupidity in the least...

People will say oh but it happens with pictures of Jesus & God but Christians don't do this sort of thing...
Which is an absolute...

But when doing so it's taken into consideration that Christians do not do these things...
Some Muslims do...

In that lies the biggest of differences and completely dispels the comparison!
edit on 15-1-2015 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 08:20 AM
link   
I've had my drink, cigar? I'm a lowly cigarette smoke but I do feel for you. I can even say I envy you wherever you are.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 08:22 AM
link   
No flames here .a bit of chuckles and perplexity watching a live stream of what you mention on the different threads on our beloved ATS . The mental gymnastics needed to even follow any coherent line of thought is staggering .Maybe you got it right with a hit of juice and a big fat smoke while watching the squirrels jockey for the best spot at the bird feeder is all that is needed to num out from the crazies .:>) a reply to: Expat888

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Sums it up better then I could.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 08:46 AM
link   
What if i find the violence, murder, torture and slavery in the mainstream
religious texts offensive? does that mean i can be free of televangelists and
road side preachers?? after all we wouldn't want to offend anyone. See its
simply a bad idea....

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 09:05 AM
link   

The whole thing is a sham…

Many have been misled.

Link

Source of pics…

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 09:39 AM
link   
For years and years i have heard and seen comedy make fun of every possible topic, from 9/11 to rape victims, stupid people ugly people, christians, muslims, politicians, leaders , celebrities, normal people.

Everything has been through the comedy mill, the harder the joke the bigger the laugh and chock.

Standup, sitcoms, tv shows, music, movies, cartoons...

All of them have had one purpose, to make us smile and laugh of all the ugly things that we don't like to talk about.

None of them was to create hate or to insult anyone, and everyone accept it, even though it goes a little to far once in a while.

It's called humor, and magazines like Charlie Hebdo has practised it like many others.

Humor is not a crime, hate speech is not humor, two completely different things...

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 09:40 AM
link   

This actual sums it up rather nicely...

In Solidarity With a Free Press: Some More Blasphemous Cartoons

Link

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 09:41 AM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

Its old age and crazy .. Had to speak up ... my misguided sense of justice struck .. besides seen every trick in the book the manipulating bastards use over the years .. saw from start what this was/is .. just disappointed so many here on ats failed to see it for what it was .. and is ..

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 09:44 AM
link   
a reply to: corvuscorrax

At present .. sat out on a hillside with a bottle watching the stars ... is ok fire em up smoking lamp is lit ..

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 10:26 AM
link   
After considerable research, Cracked has determined that there are 5 groups of people that society says it's OK to make fun of. The article is absolutely true.

Movies and sitcoms constantly exploit these people.

People it's OK to mock

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 04:11 PM
link   

make fun of / insult islam its freedom of speach .. speak out against israel get called anti-semite .. arrested.. jailed,, fined .. your life destroyed ..

Could you please explain what exactly you mean by that? There're plenty of anti-Israel demonstrations as well as plenty of anti-Israel politicians or other important (media) figures. Social media are teeming with both anti-Israelism and anti-semitism without anything bad ever happening to any of these above mentioned. Besides, we must not forget that mean jokes or movies about islam get criticised heavily by important people and opinion makers. There's a major difference however:

If, after a mean joke, those offended by it go on a horrendous killing spree after which many crocodile tears are being shed and words of support for the victims are uttered, that doesn't necessarily mean those expressing these words of support think mean jokes about islam are okay. In fact, they'd probably condemn them if it wasn't for the terrorist attack.

Same with jokes or mean things about jews or Israel; they just haven't gone on a killing spree over it as we know at the moment. That people now suddenly support the drawers of the cartoons isn't because they necessarily condone mean jokes about islam, but because they believe killing because of a joke is even worse.

so how many more must end up dead in bodybags because some fearmongering hatefilled bigot spouts off things that they know will cause tensions to rise and more people to die ?

You can say all you want about poor taste in jokes but the magazine didn't kill anyone nor did it order anyone to do so. The attackers did it, they consciously devised a plan to commit an atrocity. Should we really, seriously let what we do and don't do be decided by these individuals, who aren't even capable of handling a bit of satire?

Well I am NOT charlie and I damn well will not conform to idiocy that costs human lives .. and causes further divisions and hate ...

A rather dull cartoon in a magazine that most people in Europe didn't read anyway didn't really create further division. It was those who decided to retaliate with horrible, lethal violence because they couldn't handle the slightest hint of offense.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Bingo on your OP:-)
I have nothing to add but praise for your words and wisdom.
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 09:36 PM
link   

and to top it off everyone conforming like good brainwashed slaves of the state supporting "free speach" .

So now supporting free speech is being a brainwashed conformist? Right...

make fun of / insult islam its freedom of speach .. speak out against israel get called anti-semite

You'd get called an Islamophobe in the first situation, but free speech laws will usually protect people in both situations.

say something about another race they find offensive youre charged with a hate crime

No, that wouldn't be a hate crime unless you were directing your comments at a specific person and they felt harassed by your actions. A hate crime is any normal crime which is motivated by racism or bias against a particular group of people. Making a general statement about another race is not a hate crime.

a reply to: Pitou

At least someone in this thread has some common sense.
edit on 15/1/2015 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 10:21 PM
link   

There is THIS article for example.....

www.haaretz.com...

www.jpost.com...

I just don't get why it's FREEDOM OF SPEECH when people are mocking Muslims yet it's all dead serious and OMFG WONT SOMEBODY THINK ABOUT THE CHILDREN!?!? when people are mocking Jews? Same thing should go for all religions IMO. Unless people want to admit to being hypocrites.

As for the OP............

I am not Charlie because I don't believe it's my right to mock a whole religion just because I can. I'd rather just not do it.

PS. check out the Liam Neeson thread...people are QUICK to turn hypocrites and claim a person isn't ALLOWED to have an opinion , IE FREEDOM OF SPEECH because of their occupation. Like , a lot of them are saying since he acts he isn't allowed to have opinion on ANY other thing. And those are guys who've been kind of vocal in the freedom of speech conversation on other threads in here. SO IT BEGS THE QUESTION..has the standard gone THIS low on ATS??

Sorry for the rant...this OP was just too hardcore lol. A lot of hypocrisy here lately.

edit on VAmerica/ChicagoThu, 15 Jan 2015 22:29:40 -060040America/Chicago by Verse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 12:36 AM
link   
I'm with the OP on this. Hypocrisy abounds. They're going around arresting people for hate speech, cracking down on social media commenters, and simultaneously proclaiming free speech a sacred right.

Though I think there is a difference in what is being defended- the americans refer to generalized free speech, the french are focusing more on the freedom of the press- the press is allowed to do or say what they want, but not the public.

I want to make another point-
The cartoons published are not funny- they are not humorous. The only thing that gives them attention is the fact that they depict a drawn image of the prophet Mahomet, which is prohibited in Islam.

There is only a snarkiness in doing that, there is nothing to laugh at in the cartoons- except those that find it funny to poke and provoke that part of the population.

A little bit can be shrugged off as a lack of tact and class, but at this point, it is becoming downright stupid and irresponsible. It is pressing everyone to take their sides of the battle field, and some will be joining the extremists, when they were once moderate, just out of a need to defend themselves from constant harrassing.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Yes youre a good little slave of the state maybe your masters will let you lick there boots. Not in the mood to play with minions kid .

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 12:40 AM
link   
a reply to: ChaoticOrder

When it is directly provoking and causes people to get killed its crossed the line from free speach . Good day thank you for playing.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 12:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Expat888
a reply to: ChaoticOrder

When it is directly provoking and causes people to get killed its crossed the line from free speach . Good day thank you for playing.

Oh ok, so we should blame the people who make provocative drawings instead of faulting the people who feel it's ok to commit murder because they feel offended by it? I guess you're one of those geniuses who feel it's a good idea for the Oxford Press to ban any words related to pig or pork? We wont be able to say anything without a fear that we would be offending someone and breaking the law if people like you had their way. How about you stop making molehills into mountains and accept the fact that people are always going to offend each other. And for the record speach is not a word.
edit on 16/1/2015 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join