It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ISIS Have Made Their Move Into Afghanistan Says Army General

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 09:52 AM
link   

The Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) is now active in southern Afghanistan, according to Afghan officials, who say the extremist group are now fighting the Taliban and recruiting new members in the country.

Newsweek

Well isn't this a wonderful development. ISIS has hopped over Iran (from Syria and Iraq), and is now mustering its forces in the latest Country that the U.S. (and the other Allies) are hastily retreating from.

Some might welcome ISIS and the Taliban fighting each other...but personally I suspect that, given ISIS's utter depravity that it will not take long for the Taliban to fall under their direction and control. The prize is the untold billions that can be realized in the Opium trade.

And...right next door is Paksistan...and its nuclear weapons.

Does anybody not think that WWIII is well under way, with ISIS emerging as the leading antagonist?

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 09:56 AM
link   
a reply to: mobiusmale

i said lots of times, either isis or the taliban are gonna start to take over in afghanistan when we pull out.
just like iraq, neither country are ready to defend or govern themselves.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 09:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: mobiusmale

The Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) is now active in southern Afghanistan, according to Afghan officials, who say the extremist group are now fighting the Taliban and recruiting new members in the country.

Newsweek

Well isn't this a wonderful development. ISIS has hopped over Iran (from Syria and Iraq), and is now mustering its forces in the latest Country that the U.S. (and the other Allies) are hastily retreating from.

Some might welcome ISIS and the Taliban fighting each other...but personally I suspect that, given ISIS's utter depravity that it will not take long for the Taliban to fall under their direction and control. The prize is the untold billions that can be realized in the Opium trade.

Does anybody not think that WWIII is well under way, with ISIS emerging as the leading antagonist?
Isis is only a threat in the vaguest definition of the word. Should western powers deem it so, they could easily completely wipe ISIS of the map. The only problem with that is the massive amounts of innocent lives that would be lost in such a process. There may come a time when western powers must do a cost/benefit analysis, though. That is a day I fear may come to pass soon.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 10:00 AM
link   
hmmm most interesting because a couple weeks ago in an interview on 60 minutes they asked the commanding general there how this departure was gong to be different then Iraqs departure. As our combat troops our leaving Afghanistan.

I am wondering if something is up there might be a pattern developing here?

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 10:02 AM
link   

I don't understand...didn't we fix everything...we gave them infrastructure, democracy and a new government..how in the world could all of this backfire?

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 10:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: chrismarco

I don't understand...didn't we fix everything...we gave them infrastructure, democracy and a new government..how in the world could all of this backfire?

The phrase "You can lead a horse to water" comes to mind.
edit on 14-1-2015 by ScientificRailgun because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 10:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: chrismarco

And we cut off the Head of the Snake (Bin Laden).... wasn't that supposed to make everything all rainbows again.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 10:11 AM
link   
so why are isis fighting the taliban thought they were on the same side do isis actualy know why there fighting then

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 10:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: mobiusmale

Well hold on a minute buddy. ISIS only seems to operate in countries that have been destabilized. They cannot get a foothold in any other countries. So regardless of where Pakistan is or isn't, ISIS wouldn't gain a foothold there because the country hasn't been destabilized recently.

Not to mention, ISIS is a regional threat. They have zero ability to do anything but fight over destabilized countries. Any real country with a real military would wipe the floor with them.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 10:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: zedy63
so why are isis fighting the taliban thought they were on the same side do isis actualy know why there fighting then

Maybe, and just go with me on this, not all Muslim ideologies are the same. I know it's a crazy thought to have here on ATS, but just putting it out there.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 10:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

originally posted by: zedy63

Maybe, and just go with me on this, not all Muslim ideologies are the same. I know it's a crazy thought to have here on ATS, but just putting it out there.

But they all support Sharia Law, no? Please defend Sharia Law. Please. I'd like to see how that would look.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 10:18 AM
link   
What the hell is this article talking about. They've been attacking Afghanistan since Summer. And made their way into the news for the first time via this.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 10:18 AM
link   

LOL

ISIS has hopped over Iran

How is it one hops over Iran exactly?

From the article.

Ben Barry, a former brigadier, 35-year British army veteran and current senior fellow for Land Warfare at the International Institute for Strategic Studies told Newsweek: “We have to treat these reports with some caution; I don’t believe they’ve been confirmed by anyone high up in the ISIS organization

Article sounds like lies to me.
edit on 14-1-2015 by Dabrazzo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 10:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun

Isis is only a threat in the vaguest definition of the word. Should western powers deem it so, they could easily completely wipe ISIS of the map. The only problem with that is the massive amounts of innocent lives that would be lost in such a process. There may come a time when western powers must do a cost/benefit analysis, though. That is a day I fear may come to pass soon.

They have quickly evolved from a "JV Team" offshoot of Al Qaeda, to an organization that controls rather substantial real estate across Syria and Iraq.

They have access to substantial Oil revenues, advanced conventional weapons systems and hardware (usurped from the fleeing Iraqi Army), have a sophisticated propaganda capability with a global reach (and have created a vortex that is funnelling fanatical fighters...ok, stone cold killers...to them by the thousands).

If left unchecked, as they still are for the most part, they will ultimately completely dominate Syria, Iraq and Afghanistan. They may well move on to Lebanon, Jordan and Pakistan. They have already issued threats to Saudi Arabia and others. They already have influence in Africa.

I suspect that, at some point, they will pause to consolidate, and to more completely develop their military capabilities (including cyber forces).

You are right that, if we chose to, we could completely destroy them in fairly short order...right now. But if we wait - as it seems almost certain that we will, given the current political landscape, within a few short years we could be facing a ferocious State-actor-level enemy with millions of men in arms, advanced military systems (possibly including nuclear weapons), and substantial numbers of fighters infiltrated in our own cities and towns.

We have underestimated them up until now...including taking seriously their pledge to raise their flag at the White House itself. How many Countries will they take over until we wake up and realize what is really going on?

How many Countries did Germany take over before we snapped out of it...how much of Asia did the Japanese roll over before we finally took the risk they posed seriously?

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 10:33 AM
link   
It isn't out of the question that ISIS could have established a presence in Afghanistan. They probably have some sympathisers there. Last i heard, they were active in Libya. Indeed, upon checking the news, they announced just this week that they had kidnapped 21 Christians in the country. If they can operate in Libya, they could do so in parts of Afghanistan...

Oh, and due to ISIS' ideology, they will likely conflict with all other Muslim terrorist organisations. They believe that it is their duty to establish a caliphate of 'pure' Muslims under their control. This would put them at odds with pretty much every other Muslim who doesn't support them. Additionally, they are of a different ideological position than the Taliban...

edit on 14-1-2015 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 10:36 AM
link   
I wonder if the price of heroin will go up?
Or maybe they will increase production, the price will go down and we will see an increase of heroin addicts on our streets.
Option #2 would be the one that ISIS should use, if they are smart.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Dabrazzo

How is it one hops over Iran exactly?

Maybe Iran loaned them some of their ' Stealth flying boats'.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 10:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Well hold on a minute buddy. ISIS only seems to operate in countries that have been destabilized. They cannot get a foothold in any other countries. So regardless of where Pakistan is or isn't, ISIS wouldn't gain a foothold there because the country hasn't been destabilized recently.

It is true that they don't operate in stable countries, but i think that there is a possibility that they could establish a presence in Northern Pakistan, where things aren't as good.

Not to mention, ISIS is a regional threat. They have zero ability to do anything but fight over destabilized countries. Any real country with a real military would wipe the floor with them.

Exactly. I think we can even point to the Kurdish Peshmerga as an example of military superiority over ISIS. Most of the clashes between the Peshmerga and ISIS have resulted in Kurdish victories.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 10:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Hendrick99

Christians all support the Ten Commandments, but I see them arguing between themselves all the time on what is and isn't Christianity. And no, I'm not going to defend Sharia Law.

If you HONESTLY believe that Muslims all share the same ideologies, then you have a stupidly simplistic view of the world.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 10:43 AM
link   

The Taliban have already joined forces with ISIS according to this:

news.vice.com...

In a development that further complicates the fragmented allegiances and deteriorating security situation in Afghanistan, several defectors from the Taliban have pledged allegiance to the Islamic State. These disgruntled ex-Taliban members have reportedly stepped up their recruiting efforts in recent weeks, and even launched military operations in Afghanistan's south. A group of self-proclaimed Islamic State fighters in Helmand province have reportedly been drafting new members, flying the militant group's trademark black flag, and battling their former comrades in the Taliban.

www.youtube.com...

Video above.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join