It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RISE OH YE NATIONS! Repent!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 09:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheTengriist
a reply to: OpinionatedB

Abrahamism surely is a strange faith. It seems tailored for nosy, neurotic elitists. Wouldn't be so bad, except all its branches teach that you, too can become "elite" if only you become nosy and neurotic. become one of the Chosen People. Get treasures and crowns in heaven. party with 72 virgins. Rule your own planet. Just drive yourself and everyone you know into a frenetic mess before you die, and die with panic and worry over whether you will be "good enough."

All nations would be best-served by striving to divest themselves of this faith, engineered by a bronze-age tribe of paranoiacs with delusions of grandeur and a remarkable fear of the human penis. Mankind can do better - or best of all, Mankind can do nothing at all, and step away from the witch doctors and their angry sky-demons.

dont forget ritual cannibalism honoring a blood sacrifice in worship of a sun god.

it would be considered barbaric by any other name.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: daaskapital

I don't know if you hang around this off topic forum, but try reading a few threads sometime and you will see they all pretty much get turned into the same argument by a few modern day Manachees.
edit on 093131p://333 by backcase because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 10:01 AM
link   
a reply to: backcase

Modern day Manichees? You obviously have no idea what they believed because they believed exactly what Christians do.

Manichaeism taught an elaborate dualistic cosmology describing the struggle between a good, spiritual world of light, and an evil, material world of darkness. Through an ongoing process which takes place in human history, light is gradually removed from the world of matter and returned to the world of light whence it came. Its beliefs were based on local Mesopotamian gnostic and religious movements.

Don't Christians teach of a struggle between light and dark (good and evil) and that the process of removing the good from the evil happened in human history (Jesus' sacrifice)?

I'm not a Manichee, if anything Christians are.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 10:08 AM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Manachees held the idea that they were gods very highly. They also esteemed very highly a man named Faustus who wanted to do away with the OT.

My knowledge of the Manachees comes from the words of an ex Manachee: St. Augustine.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Kind of how (he who will not be named) got rid of the OT law by teachings Jesus' sacrifice would take the light (believers) from the material world at his second coming?

Manichees have more in common with Christians than me. Christians believe in a struggle between light and dark, they believe that salvation (removing light from this evil world) happened some time in human history, and they believe in doing away with the OT law in favor of Jesus' sacrifice (which is the "ongoing process" that happened in human history).

Look in the mirror, maybe you're the modern Manichaean.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Great thread, OP. I'd simply like to add 1 John 1:9 for the believers reading. Confess your known sins privately to God the Father and you will be cleansed of all unrighteousness. It is the only way to maintain fellowship with God. Sadly, too many churches neglect to emphasize that truth.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

The Manachees also denied that Jesus had a human nature, they held worship of the sun and moon and other planets.

they believe that the human soul is the very substance of God and that God does things as He is forced to and not by choice.

also they held the belief that God's power is limited (probobly because they saw themselves as gods, and saw that they are limited as men)

They believed the New Testament to be a work of deceit.

Also they denied baptism as a superfluous and unnecessary practice. They were against orthodox Christianity.

Read Contra Faustum some time

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: BELIEVERpriest

I think you added a little something extra to that quote that came from your own bias.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 10:43 AM
link   
A sure sign of one's need for repentance is a smug, self-righteous aversion to the idea of it.

The act of calling men to repentance is not a self-righteous act in and of itself. Nowhere in the OP was there a claim that the person making this thread was:
1. without their own sin
2. not in need of repentance themselves

What human can fathom the mysteries of God? Who can probe the limits of the Almighty? He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted. The whole of Creation in and of itself is a testament to His unsearchable and unknowable majesty. We, mere human beings, cannot even travel beyond our own solar system, yet in our foolish vanity we mock the One Who created it and everything beyond. We haven't even searched the limits of the earth, we are still learning about our own bodies, yet mankind has no reverential fear and awe of the One Who fashioned the earth from nothing and our bodies from dust.

The impudence and audacity of mankind is almost beyond comprehension. Most people can't even explain how a cell phone works, but they are all too ready to criticize God's judgment within His own creation.

All men are sinners and all men will be tempted with sin as long as they remain in bodies of flesh. None are good according to God's absolute standard of good. Those who truly think they are "good" are really blind to their own state of wretchedness. Any act of "righteousness" on our part is still like a filthy rag in comparison to God's perfection and holiness. Can a mortal be more righteous than God? If God charges His own angels with error, how much more those who live in feeble bodies of clay, whose foundations are in the dust, who are crushed more readily than a moth?

Who are we to question God's judgment? Who are we to criticize His ways? As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are His ways higher than our ways and His thoughts higher than our thoughts. He has seen the end from the beginning and the beginning from the end, yet we do not even know what will happen tomorrow. And still, men maintain their indignant affront towards His sovereignty.

All of creation is fallen and flawed, lost to corruption by the sin of one man. However all of creation has been reconciled back unto God through the righteousness of one Man. Even though creation has been reconciled, it still remains in a fallen state which must finish its course to completion. Creation will reach a maximum state of entropy. The 2nd Law of Thermodynamics which was introduced into the closed system of creation the moment Eve reached for the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil, will reach equilibrium. There will be a culmination of all things.

Those who are alive must be given opportunity to repent, those yet to be born must be given the opportunity to choose eternal life. All men will be offered the choice, whether through the spread of the Gospel by missionaries or by divine providence. Perhaps some even at the moment of their death, right before they cross over. Who is to say how God ministers to each man their opportunity for salvation? All human beings capable of salvation will be given the opportunity to choose. Because God is just, this must be so.

The point of this thread is to remind men of their opportunity to choose, and to encourage them to choose wisely.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 11:10 AM
link   

I don't often hang around here, but i have participated in some threads.

While many times religious threads can become a free-for-all with some off-topic posts, i do think that some of the questions posed are legitimate concerns which should be raised and contemplated. Of course, it doesn't mean that all threads should be bombarded with the questions, but it should be expected that they would get raised by some for the sake of discussion. I do think it is healthy to criticise one's beliefs and weigh them with logic.

Thanks.
edit on 14-1-2015 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 11:16 AM
link   
a reply to: OpinionatedB

How about you just stop bad behaviors on your own. Take responsibility for your own life/decisions/mistakes instead of having to repent/pray/fast.

Christians need to stop relying on a sky god to make them feel good, take ahold of your life. You can still believe, just don't rely on mythical beings to save you.

I kind of hope that your rapture will happen soon so only us atheists are left lol

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 11:21 AM
link   
a reply to: WashMoreFeet

What human can fathom the mysteries of God? Who can probe the limits of the Almighty? He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted. The whole of Creation in and of itself is a testament to His unsearchable and unknowable majesty. We, mere human beings, cannot even travel beyond our own solar system, yet in our foolish vanity we mock the One Who created it and everything beyond. We haven't even searched the limits of the earth, we are still learning about our own bodies, yet mankind has no reverential fear and awe of the One Who fashioned the earth from nothing and our bodies from dust.

And, can you believe the impudence and audacity of some people who actually claim to know the heart and mind of such a "GOD", and believe they have the right to tell us what this "GOD" wants of us?? These same deceived individuals also believe that this majestic being of unfathomable greatness wrote/inspired a book, The Holy Bible, the inerrant Word of God, that supposedly tells us how to , and especially how NOT to,"WORSHIP" this incomprehensible being.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 11:21 AM
link   

The act of calling men to repentance is not a self-righteous act in and of itself. Nowhere in the OP was there a claim that the person making this thread was:
1. without their own sin
2. not in need of repentance themselves

thats not the point. there is a supply and demand here. first you create the crisis, then you supply the bandaids. the crisis here is that we are all worthless and undeserving of sharing the same reality with god. the bandaid is jesus. unless you are convinced that you are worthless and undeserving, you are not driven to accept jesus and the accompanying terms and conditions. which is why these threads exist. perpetuating the wheel of self-hatred and inability. replace "sin" with "jews" and you have yourself a nazi.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 01:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: backcase
a reply to: BELIEVERpriest

I think you added a little something extra to that quote that came from your own bias.

Would you care to explain exactly what you misunderstood about my post?

1) A believer can only confess the sins that he is aware of.
2) All prayer is directed towards God the Father.
3) After the sin(s) are confessed, God is just in cleansing us of ALL unrighteousness.
4) Each individual believer is a priest (in Christ) after the order of Melkizedek, who represents themselves before God. Therefore, confession is a private function of the individual believer's priesthood; between the believer and God.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 01:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: undo
who does the planet belong to? who owns the earth. who tried to give it to jesus in exchange for jesus' fealty? my theory is that its the same guy who convinced adam and eve that they should feel guilty that they were naked procreators. it's his planet, afterall, and he didn't want procreators with eternal bodies on his planet.

this will make sense when you realize that was what necessitated jesus' arrival, rather than the idea that we had actually done evil in the garden by being procreative. just read that text. it'll hop right off the page and give you realization. yes jesus came for our sins, not because we actually had sinned (procreation was not a sin till the fall narrative), but because the guy who owns the planet, used divine law to condemn us to a shortened lifespan. i bet there's more of us out there in the universe, who didn't have to go thru this because the bad guy doesn't own their planets.

So he would be the bad guy because space travelers seen his beautiful planet and decided they would turn it into a human farm? I followed your logic until that part.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 01:47 PM
link   
KimINa reply to: BELIEVERpriest

Well the scripture does not use the word 'privately'.

I am a Catholic and I feel a great deal of peace when I leave the confessional. Since the Catholic church was instituted by God, it is my duty to defend the sacraments as being rites instituted by God also. I'm sorry you feel differently, but there is a great deal of abundance on the sacraments that you miss out on.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 02:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword

And, can you believe the impudence and audacity of some people who actually claim to know the heart and mind of such a "GOD", and believe they have the right to tell us what this "GOD" wants of us?? These same deceived individuals also believe that this majestic being of unfathomable greatness wrote/inspired a book, The Holy Bible, the inerrant Word of God, that supposedly tells us how to , and especially how NOT to,"WORSHIP" this incomprehensible being.

I do not, nor have I ever claimed to know the heart and mind of God. I clearly stated in my post that no human can fathom the mysteries of God or probe the limits of the Almighty.

All I know of God is what He has seen fit to reveal of Himself, which is that He is loving and merciful but also holy and mighty, completely beyond our comprehension.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 02:49 PM
link   

I am a Catholic and I feel a great deal of peace when I leave the confessional. Since the Catholic church was instituted by God, it is my duty to defend the sacraments as being rites instituted by God also. I'm sorry you feel differently, but there is a great deal of abundance on the sacraments that you miss out on.

The same peace can be achieved in privacy, especially knowing that a man behind a booth is not judging you. Why do we need priests if we are ourselves priest? It defeats the purpose..

I could just as easily say that it is you who holds the bias, since I can back up my statement directly with scripture. We are priests. There is no need for an "ordained" priesthood.
edit on 14-1-2015 by BELIEVERpriest because: added text

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: deadeyedick

the point is the space travelers, as you call them, were the ones that said we were bad lol
the creator didn't. however, because the planet belongs to a particular nasty "space traveler", we've been subjected to his interpretation of divine law - thus the need for jesus as an intermediary . jesus is giving us advice on how to navigate this place, under the bad guy's ownership, which unfortunately requires us to follow his version of the law, which is often not a bad thing (i mean he is interested in keeping order on HIS planet) but requires us to submit to the idea that the way our creator, created us, makes us evil and subject to his condemnation

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: BELIEVERpriest

The same peace can be achieved in privacy, especially knowing that a man behind a booth is not judging you. Why do we need priests if we are ourselves priest? It defeats the purpose..

I could just as easily say that it is you who holds the bias, since I can back up my statement directly with scripture. We are priests. There is no need for an "ordained" priesthood.

Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective.James 5:16

First, confessing to each other might help someone else.. maybe I am not alone in the boat in which I find myself.

Second, I could use prayer to overcome these obstacles from others.. do you have any idea how much prayer of your brothers and sisters can help you?

If people think I am some kind of perfect person who, as such and in their mind might deserve God's grace, then what service have I done by telling a lie?

No.. I will not lie. I DO NOT IN ANY WAY deserve God's grace.. yet oddly, HE doesn't seem to care! He says I love you, just love me back.. so I do.. HE says this to everyone! And I will not hide the truth from people!

I am a sinner, I am the worst of you.. yet HE loved me anyway..and guess what? I AM NOT UNIQUE IN THIS! Because HE loves you too..

how powerful is that truth spoken outloud and not hidden in the closet!?! How powerful is it to show others how you overcame all your obstacles so that they might have encouragement in overcoming theirs?
edit on 14-1-2015 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join