It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Backs Net Neutrality (was Obama Backs Government-Run Internet)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Obama is pushing a government run internet according to this story.

Something about striking down State laws in favor of local laws that govern internet policies?

Not sure what's going on with this.

Something about "Affordable" broadband for everybody.

Obama Backs Government-Run Internet

President Obama will travel to Cedar Falls, Iowa, on Wednesday to tout the ability of local governments to provide high-speed Internet to their residents.

And he will urge the Federal Communications Commission to strike down state laws around the country that restrict the ability of cities to build their own broadband networks. The move is likely to draw fire from Republicans, who argue that states should be free to set their own policies—including restrictions on local governments.

"Laws in 19 states—some specifically written by special interests trying to stifle new competitors—have held back broadband access and, with it, economic opportunity," the White House wrote in a fact sheet. "Today, President Obama is announcing a new effort to support local choice in broadband, formally opposing measures that limit the range of options available to communities to spur expanded local broadband infrastructure, including ownership of networks."

Affordable High-Speed Broadband for All Americans

www.youtube.com...

edit on Jan-13-2015 by xuenchen because:
:

edit on 13-1-2015 by SkepticOverlord because: Modified the headline to reflect reality, and avoid deception

edit on 14-1-2015 by SkepticOverlord because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 09:21 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Frankly, I'd love it.

Would absolutely cripple cable companies.

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 09:23 PM
link   

No surprise at all.

Just like AFFORDABLE healthcare.

Next Month's internet bill: $200 for 3 hrs per week.

Peace

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 09:25 PM
link   
I think what we need to be developing is a new, mesh internet where people's computers connect to other people's computers. It would work better in a big city where people are more densely populated, but it wouldn't be "owned" by anyone -- and it couldn't be controlled by anyone.
edit on 13-1-2015 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

link   
Sounds like he is trying to stop proposed republican controls over state by state internet access. Which although subtly proposed represents a blatant violation of the constitution.

I am behind him 100 percent on this.

We are not about to become China any time soon. No matter what the idiotic power mad element in the Capital are baying for.

link   

originally posted by: TheArrow

Frankly, I'd love it.

Would absolutely cripple cable companies.

Ya cause his other gov plans have worked out exactly as planned

and of course there would be NO regulation on it or anything...

you probably need to think that thought process out a little more...

Jumping on board with something just to get payback for something else , will just lead you into a worse spot then you were in

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Good. I am happy about this. Maybe now we won't be at the mercy of the oligopoly we allowed to develop.

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 09:27 PM
link   
a reply to: angus1745

I am behind him 100 percent on this.

We are not about to become China any time soon. No matter what the idiotic power mad element in the Capital are baying for.

I cant believe intelligent people are actually advocating this......

Are you guys under rocks or something every time this guy comes out with another gov plan that ends in a sh*t storm?

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 09:29 PM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

Yah I would much rather be screwed by corporations! And Obama suck! Romney 2016!

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 09:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: TsukiLunar

Yah I would much rather be screwed by corporations! And Obama suck! Romney 2016!

Yes lets the the gov get their hooks in, and run private companies out......

Cause thats going to work great.....

China here we come......

I swear, there are examples of this type of thing all over the world of what happens when the gov does stuf like this, and you guys are STILL biting on it

Idiocracy wasnt a movie it was a premonition....

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 09:35 PM
link   
a reply to: TsukiLunar

the nice thing about corporations and free market is if i choose not to buy a product, i can do that. Unlike anything the govt does that costs me money whether i get into the program or not. If you don't want to give the cable company your business, then why are you paying them for a service you don't want? I personally don't have a cable bill. I have a cell phone bill and thats all the internet i need.

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 09:38 PM
link   
a reply to: roaland

exactly.......

Also is there a single program out there that the gov has touched that DIDNT turn into a disaster?

link   

Well when the companies that control the market prove they can't be trusted, especially with something as revolutionary as internet, then I don't mind someone stepping up and taking the ball from their less than capable hands.

By all means though please continue to paint your corporate overlords as victims.

link   
God no...Not The OBAMANET!!!!!
Doesn't this guy ever give it a rest?

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 09:39 PM
link   

the IRS is pretty successful lol depending on which side of the check your on lol

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 09:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask

exactly.......

Also is there a single program out there that the gov has touched that DIDNT turn into a disaster?

It comments like this that are stupid. There plenty of successful gvmt sponsored programs, but that wouldn't fit the narrative you constructed in your mind.

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 09:44 PM
link   

exactly.......

I can put an envelop in my mailbox on Tuesday in Minneapolis, and by Friday it will be in San Fransisco.

It costs me about 50 cents.

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 09:44 PM
link   
a reply to: TsukiLunar

Well when the companies that control the market prove they can't be trusted

Lol so you trust the GOV?! Are you serious?

By all means though please continue to paint your corporate overlords as victims.

Please quote where i made the Corporate companies out to be victims.....(hint: you should probably stop throwing out false accusations)

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 09:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheArrow

exactly.......

I can put an envelop in my mailbox on Tuesday in Minneapolis, and by Friday it will be in San Fransisco.

It costs me about 50 cents.

thats a pretty weak example lol and not at all on par with the implications of gov run internet

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Except you can't choose when it come to internet. In America you have thechoices your corporate overlords allow.
edit on 13-1-2015 by TsukiLunar because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join