It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pelosi to name first Muslim lawmaker to House intelligence committee

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 06:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
I wonder how much of your outrage has to do with the fact that he is a Muslim.

My outrage is because of the guys politics.

Nice try.

And as guaranteed by the first amendment, and the fact I live in Indiana.

I will voice my opinion of him.

a reply to: Krazysh0t

Once again for the reading impaired.

I wonder how he reconciles his faith with it's racist history while demagoguing the Tea Party.

Qur'an, Hadith and Scholars:Racism

Thought this thread was about the guys politics and not Islam ?!!

Time to retire Neo

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 09:22 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

How is that any different from any politician saying the same, except with "bible" as their chosen book? I don't think either is a good idea, but there's no real reason to be captive to breathless outrage this time, and not all the others.

Frankly if you're concerned about education, you ought to be more worried about the homogenization of out textbooks, according to the dictats of unelected book approval boards for the states of California and Texas.

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 09:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: AreUKiddingMe
Sure as crap, they're infiltrating. Way to go, Pelosi.

Some people might think this is farfetched. I think it's a strong possibility or else somebody is being bought, bribed or blackmailed into appointing people that absolutely should not even be considered at this point in time. I know that won't go over well with the Muslims-are-great-no-problem-here-move-along bunch, but perhaps some deep study is needed by our oh-so-open politicians regarding the meaning of theocratic warfare, especially as it pertains to Islam.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 06:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: AK907ICECOLD

I didn't say president did i?

No, I said presidency. Meaning the "whole". Your putting words in my mouth.

Your amount of star explains why the people have the democrats in office! Lmao

The presidency implies President plus his cabinet, ie the Executive branch. Congress has nothing to do with the presidency, being part of the Legislative branch and all. Learn your government branches.
edit on 14-1-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 06:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: sirlancelot

a reply to: buster2010

So much for that separation of church, and state LEFTISTS purport themselves as believing in.

And no madrassas, and Qu'ran doesn't mean Chrstian or Jewish.

I'd like to point out that Carson is being appointed to the intelligence committee NOT an education committee. So his views on education appear to be a bit irrelevant here.

I think him favoring muslim schools is very much relevant to our Ntaional security. Think about!

The only thoughts I can come up with that go along that line of inquiry are racist.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 07:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: sirlancelot

a reply to: buster2010

So much for that separation of church, and state LEFTISTS purport themselves as believing in.

And no madrassas, and Qu'ran doesn't mean Chrstian or Jewish.

I'd like to point out that Carson is being appointed to the intelligence committee NOT an education committee. So his views on education appear to be a bit irrelevant here.

I think him favoring muslim schools is very much relevant to our Ntaional security. Think about!

The only thoughts I can come up with that go along that line of inquiry are racist.

How is that racist when madrasas ARE a threat to natiional security? I'll post a previous reply again:
"It simply can’t be denied that, generally speaking, students of madrasas are isolated and insulated from the mainstream society. This is especially true for the 10,000 or more so-called Quomi madrasas which do not take any money from the government, relying instead on charitable donations, and do not provide much by way of secular or science-based studies. Most of the madrasa students believe that by learning their conceptions of Islam, they will go to heaven. A similar motivation for learning English or science subjects is absent and they are not convinced that learning those subjects is important."

"A frequent allegation regarding the madrasa sector is its involvement with religious militancy. The Quomi madrasas are most often implicated in this debate because of the continued resistance to the mildest of reforms attempted by the state. Due to their unknown sources of funding and the use of centuries old curriculum in adaptation of hardened fundamentalist teachers there are reasons to believe that they can be (and actually have been) used as breeding ground of religious extremists."

peaceagainstntsumikhan.blogspot.com...

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 07:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: UnBreakable
How is that racist when madrasas ARE a threat to natiional security? I'll post a previous reply again:
"It simply can’t be denied that, generally speaking, students of madrasas are isolated and insulated from the mainstream society. This is especially true for the 10,000 or more so-called Quomi madrasas which do not take any money from the government, relying instead on charitable donations, and do not provide much by way of secular or science-based studies. Most of the madrasa students believe that by learning their conceptions of Islam, they will go to heaven. A similar motivation for learning English or science subjects is absent and they are not convinced that learning those subjects is important."

"A frequent allegation regarding the madrasa sector is its involvement with religious militancy. The Quomi madrasas are most often implicated in this debate because of the continued resistance to the mildest of reforms attempted by the state. Due to their unknown sources of funding and the use of centuries old curriculum in adaptation of hardened fundamentalist teachers there are reasons to believe that they can be (and actually have been) used as breeding ground of religious extremists."

Sounds like a good argument to demonize Christian schools too.

10 Frightening Things Happening at Conservative Christian Schools That May Be Funded With Your Tax Dollars

Though I'm sure you'll argue that it's not the same thing or something.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Sounds like a good argument to demonize Christian schools too.

There are no Christian schools who teach violence, as madrasas' do.
edit on 14-1-2015 by UnBreakable because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 07:36 AM
link   

I wonder how much of your outrage has to do with the fact that he is a Muslim.

The thing that outrages me most, is people who accuse others of racism in order to completely shut down any legitimate debate which mentions the word 'muslim'.

Contributing to a discussion about muslims or the muslim faith does NOT make one a racist.
edit on 14-1-2015 by doobydoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 07:36 AM
link   
a reply to: UnBreakable

You didn't read the link I provided did you?

1. Inflammatory anti-choice rhetoric. You might think grade school is a bit young to start learning violent anti-choice rhetoric. Luke Jones, who graduated from an Alabama Church of Christ school in 2004, tells AlterNet it started around the sixth grade. “I remember my English teacher passing around shocking photographs of dismembered babies. That was where I learned about abortion.” The pictures that feature in these discussions usually picture late-term fetuses terminated as a result of natural miscarriage. This means that they are not at all reflective of aborted fetuses in general, and give children a skewed – and overly emotive – reaction to a medical service.

Material from a 2005 anti-choice handbook called Abortion: From Debate to Dialogue is sometimes used to teach students how to argue with people who are pro-choice. Among the misinformation contained in its pages, the handbook teaches students that serious conditions like preeclampsia, eclampsia, placental previa and placental abruption do not usually endanger a pregnant woman’s life. Moreover, it implies, questions about a woman’s health are just distractions.

Strategies meant to help anti-choicers seem nice in abortion debates may be practiced in classroom role-playing activities. For example, the handbook says, anti-choice proponents sometimes “appear callous by showing no concern for women who die.” Pro-choice advocates, the handbook assures students, sometimes ask about this “to see if you have compassion on the circumstances of women… If you don’t show concern for these women in the midst of your response, you lose.” In other words, women’s well-being is not really the point – anti-choicers must learn to feign compassion for women in order to win arguments.

Some Christian schools use a controversial film – Ray Comfort’s 180 Movie – to insert talking points conflating abortion with the Holocaust.

4. Intolerance. Since September 11, 2001, Christian schools have become increasingly Islamophobic. In 2010, the Texas State Board of Education ignited a national controversy when it “voted to scrub [public school] textbooks of anything that smacked of a ‘pro-Islam’ or ‘anti-Christian’ bias.” In other words, public schools would now be required to use school curriculums that whitewash Christians and demonize Muslims. Though relatively new to public education, Islamophobia has long run rampant at Christian schools.

Back in 2011, AlterNet reported that Christian elementary and secondary curriculums A Beka Book, Bob Jones University Publishing, and Accelerated Christian Education teach that Islam is a “false religion.” Rethinking Schools reports that Bob Jones curriculum generally provides a surprisingly unbiased look at Islamic history, but sometimes makes wild claims like, “[T]he darkness of Islamic religion keeps the people of Turkey from Jesus Christ as their savior.” At the seventh-grade level, A Beka attempts to bolster its case against Islam by claiming, “[O]ver 500 people saw the resurrected Jesus Christ, no one witnessed Mohammed's supposed encounters with the angels.” Not only this, but the curriculum also casts Islam as a “fanatically anti-Christian.”

Many Christian school teachers also create lesson plans based on the teachings of self-styled “historian” David Barton, who has wasted many, many articles on “anti-Shariah” fear-mongering. At his own Web site, Wallbuilders, Barton waxes paranoid about what he calls President Obama’s “preferential treatment of Muslims and Muslim nations” and contrasts this with what he interprets as Obama’s “anti-Biblical” positions when, “In fact, there have been numerous clearly documented times when his pro-Islam positions have been the cause of his anti-Biblical actions.” Most of his backing “evidence” is pretty vague. For example, Barton alleges that, in August 2010, Obama spoke “with great praise of Islam and condescendingly of Christianity.”

5. Punishment by gender. Teachers in Christian schools sometimes stereotype boys as more rambunctious and rebellious than girls. In practice, this means that boys are often the targets of harsher corporal punishment. In 2007, a Chicago school was sued for injury and surgical costs after a forcing a 14-year-old boy to kneel in place for nine days, causing a hip injury. A few years later, in 2011, a Christian school teacher in Orlando was arrested on charges of beating a boy at her home with a rusted broom handle.

Many Christian schools punish girls more harshly because of perceived sexual acting out. In 2009, a California appeals court upheld a Christian school’s decision to expel two female students simply because administrators suspected they were involved in a same-sex relationship. Just last year, a 15-year-old girl was expelled from another California school for writing on Facebook that she was bisexual. Luke Jones tells AlterNet of an incident he remembers from high school, when a boy and girl were caught having sex in a school bathroom. The boy “got suspended for a little while but then came back,” but the girl was expelled for the remainder of the school year.

Christian schools are just as guilty of this crap.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Here is a different viewpoint, based on a madrassa in India:

"Ordinary people believe that a madrassa is a place where students are taught only religious subjects, and that it has no connection with modern education," Hossain said.

"For some years we have been working to change their notion. We are teaching our students all general subjects as their counterparts are studying in regular schools," he said.

"After studying in our madrassa, children can plan their career in any field of their choice. This is the main reason why more than 60 percent of more than 1,400 students at the madrassa are non-Muslims now."

Even, 11 of the 32 teachers in the madrassa are Hindu, Hossain added.

www.aljazeera.com...

I especially liked this:

"Madrassas based on strong intellectual traditions that draw from other cultures and religions can help overturn the historical divide between Hindus and Muslims, as easy access to Islamic tradition combined with other such traditions shall build up inter-cultural and inter-religious bridges," Biswas said.

Agreeing to the view of Biswas, Prince Haldar, a 12th grade Hindu student at Orgram madrassa, said that his madrassa education had helped him better understand Islam and had brought him closer to Muslims.

"Before I came to study in this madrassa, I was told that Islam was a militant religion and Muslims could not be friends of Hindus. I also heard that Muslims were biased against other religions," Prince told Al Jazeera.

"But now after studying in this madrassa for five years I have found that people have many incorrect beliefs about Islam and Muslims."

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Nice try. But I've yet to see in news where Christians are going around beheading, shooting, or stoning people to death while yelling "god is great" (allahu akbar)

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Did it occur to you that MAYBE that is because the media doesn't report on it very much?

Anti-Abortion Violence: America's Forgotten Terrorism

What do you think is the religion of these terrorists?

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 08:13 AM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

That's a nice story that madrasas' are working in a predominately Hindu country. Now show me a link where they have the same tolerance in a country with another predominately Abrahamic faith (Christianity or Judaism).

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Did it occur to you that MAYBE that is because the media doesn't report on it very much?

Anti-Abortion Violence: America's Forgotten Terrorism

What do you think is the religion of these terrorists?

Ya, those anti-abortionists sure have been in the new lately killing innocent students at schools or killing and raping who don't follow Sharia law. Again, good try.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Terrorism is terrorism. You are trying to make a distinction here when none exists. Those Christians are terrorists and those Muslims are terrorists. Christian extremists brainwash their children to act out violently to get their version of theocracy. Muslim extremists brainwash their children to act out violently to get their version of theocracy. The fact that you cannot see the similarities just shows how brainwashed the MSM has got you over the "Muslim threat".

Christianity and Muslim, same person, different clothes. If you are going to treat one unfairly (like Muslims) then you should treat the other unfairly (like Christians). If you are going to give the majority a pass for terrorist actions done in the name of their religion (Christianity) then it behooves you to give the other religion (Muslim) a pass for the same thing.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Terrorism is terrorism. You are trying to make a distinction here when none exists. Those Christians are terrorists and those Muslims are terrorists. Christian extremists brainwash their children to act out violently to get their version of theocracy. Muslim extremists brainwash their children to act out violently to get their version of theocracy. The fact that you cannot see the similarities just shows how brainwashed the MSM has got you over the "Muslim threat".

Christianity and Muslim, same person, different clothes. If you are going to treat one unfairly (like Muslims) then you should treat the other unfairly (like Christians). If you are going to give the majority a pass for terrorist actions done in the name of their religion (Christianity) then it behooves you to give the other religion (Muslim) a pass for the same thing.

Look, I understand that you are a Muslim apologist trying to justify multiple killings in the name of religion by radical Islamists. For you to even try to equate the number of heinous murders over the past few months (Australia, France, Pakistan, to name a few) to the same degree of Christian radicalism is totally ridiculous. You are the one who's obviously brainwashed. I'm exhausted arguing with you. I'm done. I'm outta here.

Before I go, I want to state I am so tired of hearing that the majority of Muslims don't condone violence and are forward thinkers. Ya, right.

"The survey – which involved more than 38,000 face-to-face interviews in 80-plus languages with Muslims across Europe, Asia, the Middle East and Africa – shows that Muslims tend to be most comfortable with using sharia in the domestic sphere, to settle family or property disputes. In most countries surveyed, there is considerably less support for severe punishments, such as cutting off the hands of thieves or executing people who convert from Islam to another faith. And even in the domestic sphere, Muslims differ widely on such questions as whether polygamy, divorce and family planning are morally acceptable and whether daughters should be able to receive the same inheritance as sons.

While the poll can lead you to divergent conclusions, there were some disturbing findings that only the most rabid apologist would dare parse.

In fact, according to the 2013 Pew Research Center report, 88 percent of Muslims in Egypt and 62 percent of Muslims in Pakistan favor the death penalty for people who leave the Muslim religion. This is also the majority view among Muslims in Malaysia, Jordan and the Palestinian territories."
atlmalcontent.wordpress.com...
edit on 14-1-2015 by UnBreakable because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 08:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
" Pelosi to name first Muslim lawmaker to House intelligence committee "

dystrophic irony from Pelosi at this perfectly timed brainstorm announcement !!

nothing like doing something that might not be to popular at the moment there Nancy.

I wonder if this fella has any connection to the Gülen Movement conspiracies?

If the American State is separated from faith, then why should an individuals faith matter? Is that only acceptable if the individuals faith is anything apart from the Islamic faith? Hmmm, hardly secular then is it if you believe it should show prejudice against an individuals personal beliefs that in no way break any law.
edit on 14-1-2015 by uncommitted because: added the last 7 words

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Look, I understand that you are a Muslim apologist trying to justify multiple killings in the name of religion by radical Islamists. For you to even try to equate the number of heinous murders over the past few months (Australia, France, Pakistan, to name a few) to the same degree of Christian radicalism is totally ridiculous. You are the one who's obviously brainwashed. I'm exhausted arguing with you. I'm done. I'm outta here.

Uh... No... The crimes committed by those extremists were REPREHENSIBLE. And justice WILL be served against them. The crime of stereotyping (*cough*racism*cough*) the Muslim people, acting like they are all extremists because of the crimes of the few is what I am calling out. Though it says a lot about you that you would make that assumptive leap for me and insert words into my argument that I never said.

Before I go, I want to state I am so tired of hearing that the majority of Muslims don't condone violence and are forward thinkers. Ya, right.

I never called Muslims forward thinkers. I just said that the majority are peaceful and non-violent. I never suggested that Muslims don't want to live in a backwards society. And in any case, if that were a crime than I guess we should round up all those Orthodox Jews. They believe some pretty backwards stuff too.

In fact, according to the 2013 Pew Research Center report, 88 percent of Muslims in Egypt and 62 percent of Muslims in Pakistan favor the death penalty for people who leave the Muslim religion. This is also the majority view among Muslims in Malaysia, Jordan and the Palestinian territories."

Muslims can be intolerant to outsiders as well. I see all of those countries are in the Middle East. What are the opinions of Muslims outside the Middle East in this regard? Oh yeah, your previous paragraph highlighted that opinions differ vastly among Muslims around the world.

The survey – which involved more than 38,000 face-to-face interviews in 80-plus languages with Muslims across Europe, Asia, the Middle East and Africa – shows that Muslims tend to be most comfortable with using sharia in the domestic sphere, to settle family or property disputes. In most countries surveyed, there is considerably less support for severe punishments, such as cutting off the hands of thieves or executing people who convert from Islam to another faith. And even in the domestic sphere, Muslims differ widely on such questions as whether polygamy, divorce and family planning are morally acceptable and whether daughters should be able to receive the same inheritance as sons.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 08:58 AM
link   

a reply to: kaylaluv

That's a nice story that madrasas' are working in a predominately Hindu country. Now show me a link where they have the same tolerance in a country with another predominately Abrahamic faith (Christianity or Judaism).

You're probably right - the other Abrahamic faiths are not very tolerant of Islam, unlike the Hindus, who appear to be tolerant of everyone. But isn't that something we should strive to overcome?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join