It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seattle Cop suspended for racial slur

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Now I don't know how huge of a deal this actually is. I would just like to know people's opinion on this, In the video you hear a police officer saying "your gonna get your ass shot boy." What I question is the officer's reasoning/defense saying that the suspect looked to her like a boy. I don't know if that guy looks like a boy to me. I think the guy is actually 32 years old, But to me the bigger deal is her little cackle/laugh that you hear when she is chasing him down in the car, Like she is playing grand theft auto.

And the Union is appealing her suspension.

mynorthwest.com... fter-Seattle-cop-suspended-for-racial-slur

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 12:08 PM
link   
To me, it doesn't seem racial at all. I think the cop did a fine job. The maniacal laughter was a bit disturbing, but I really don't think she meant the "boy" as a racial thing. I would tend to say the same thing to a young man of any race, simply because I'm older.

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Be careful what you say officer.....(but you can shoot anybody you like with reasonable impunity)

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: American-philosopher

If that was a racial slur it was the most kind and informative one I have ever heard.

It sounded almost like advice. It definitely was a legitimate warning. I am critical of many police over reactions. This isn't one of them. So sad to see people ridiculously sensitive to harmless words. She could have said many far more expletive words with a racial tone but I believe the use of "boy" in a racial way never crossed the officers mind.

Makes one wonder if the roles had been reversed would this even be an issue?

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 01:08 PM
link   

I think this says more about the PC culture in Seattle than it says about the police.

Racial slur? Really? A wee bit sensative are we??

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Yes.

Thug is being chased for domestic violence.

Attention and discussion is centered on the cop saying the word "boy," which might have offended the thug.

Nobody is talking about the real victim in this case, the women who the thug has been accused of committing domestic violence against.

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Jamie1

You've made way too many assumptions for me to deal with. But while I don't think the use of the word "boy" by the cop was a racial slur, YOUR use of the word "thug" is another matter entirely.

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Try this....

go out on the street approach a black male and call him "boy"

nah, no racial slur there....

edit on 13-1-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 03:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

You've made way too many assumptions for me to deal with. But while I don't think the use of the word "boy" by the cop was a racial slur, YOUR use of the word "thug" is another matter entirely.

Why?

How do you define the word "thug?"

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 03:31 PM
link   
My guess on some of these is: it's not the first incident.

Behaviors don't just pop up here and there.

Don't cops go through training not to use certain words and phrases?

edit on 13-1-2015 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 03:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

Yes, the cop might have offended other criminals who beat up their girlfriends.

Let's focus on the cop. Demonize the cop because she used a non-approved word that others choose to be offended by.

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 03:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jamie1

Let's focus on the cop. Demonize the cop because she used a non-approved word that others choose to be offended by.

It's her job. She chose it. Personal responsibility (that phrase has come up before).

Am I suppose to allow her excuses for not doing her job properly?

edit on 13-1-2015 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 04:10 PM
link   

It's her job. She chose it. Personal responsibility (that phrase has come up before).

Am I suppose to allow her excuses for not doing her job properly?

I'm very certain you have no authority to allow or not allow anything the cop says.

The issue isn't personal responsibility. The issue is she used one word, "boy," in warning a thug he was about to get his ass shot.

The Thought Police have come down hard on her. The PC drones have supported the thought police. Nobody talks about the woman who may have been beaten, or the thug who may have beat her.

All eyes and fingers are directed at the cop for saying "boy" while chasing somebody accused of domestic violence.

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 04:16 PM
link   

I'm very certain you have no authority to allow or not allow anything the cop says.

Exactly. Her job, her choice, her responsibility, her consequence.

I'm not the one trying to shift the subject discussion.

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Exactly. Her job, her choice, her responsibility, her consequence.

I'm not the one trying to shift the subject discussion.

Yes, all her choices.

When she made them she probably didn't think that calling a domestic violence perp "boy" was going to be more important than catching the perp.

Cops are better off just letting thugs run away. There's no upside in arresting them.

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 09:55 PM
link   
If you don't like someone, they can take your livelihood away.

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 10:20 PM
link   

How are people so ignorant still? How is "THUG" not offensive? Unfortunately, this word is, usually, only used to describe African American law breakers. How some people are so oblivious to this little fact, bewilders me... Thug has, essentially, replaced the N-word.

As for the police officer calling a man a boy, yeah... boy also used to be a term used by slave owners to refer to their (grown, adult) male slaves in order to demoralize, and rob those men of their manhood.

How about we just call people by their names, or refer to them respectfully..? Sir? Ma'am?

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 10:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Pont52

How are people so ignorant still? How is "THUG" not offensive? Unfortunately, this word is, usually, only used to describe African American law breakers. How some people are so oblivious to this little fact, bewilders me... Thug has, essentially, replaced the N-word.

As for the police officer calling a man a boy, yeah... boy also used to be a term used by slave owners to refer to their (grown, adult) male slaves in order to demoralize, and rob those men of their manhood.

How about we just call people by their names, or refer to them respectfully..? Sir? Ma'am?

So you're saying when you think of the word "thug" you only think of blacks?

Seriously? All thugs are black in your mind?

Wow.... just wow.

edit on 13-1-2015 by Jamie1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 01:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: seabag

I think this says more about the PC culture in Seattle than it says about the police.

Racial slur? Really? A wee bit sensative are we??

yeah it does says something about the pc culture, if you say something about even a pet dog here its over. your enemy number 1

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 02:00 PM
link   
So forget racial slur or anything racial for a minute. I have been affiliated and work with and volunteer with people who are considerably older then me. For me I don't want to be called boy or kid by someone who is older then me. I find that is a little disrespectful to me. like it lessen s me in a way. especially in some of the political groups I have been in.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join