It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Switchblade / Autoknives

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 10:13 AM
link   
What are ATS folks thoughts on these knives?

My brother was fortunate to be in a position to get one out in the sandpit several years ago. They are small, concealable and restricted compared to firearms in the USA.
This one I've got is a Gerber V30.

Anyone else carry / own them?

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 10:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: WatchRider
What are ATS folks thoughts on these knives?

My brother was fortunate to be in a position to get one out in the sandpit several years ago. They are small, concealable and restricted compared to firearms in the USA.
This one I've got is a Gerber V30.

Anyone else carry / own them?

Automatic knives are neat, but truly no faster to operate than a well made flipper knife or assisted opening knife. I have had numerous auto's over the years and have had numerous autos fail over the years. One of my biggest issues with autos is if they fail to open when you need it, via the auto mechanism, they are virtually impossible to open in any speedy fashion and expensive to get fixed.

I have the same theory on most everything.....the more moving parts you have, the more likely you will have a point of failure.

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Dirt and grit get in the mechanisim and stoppd all the auto knives i have from functioning. I have even had one jam half open.

Simplicity is functionality is elegance.

Warning. I used to be a huge Gerber fan, but the last few years have seen a sharp move to the Chinese manufacturing sector.

Most were made in a America, the original reason i went to Gerber and Sog.

If you want good quality knives you have to go to the manufacturer and order a catalog. Most f the catalogs i get tell you right in the listing where they re made as well as the metal type.

I would rather buy a tool once then replace it every so often. Don't be fooled by Walmart Gerbers, most have a huge markup on them for a cheap Chinese made knife.

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: WatchRider

I don't own one but my buddy does. It handles nicely and is a good knife. well balanced and the grip is easy to go from say a modified sabre grip or filipino grip to a reverse grip. Front quillon prevents hand from slipping over blade and getting cut when thrusting. The release switch for the blade is large and easy to get to when motor skills are diminished from adrenalin & shaky or when wearing gloves. Has a glass breaker on the back if I remember right. More useful than for just breaking glass. Just keep the inside clean and the knife will serve you well. I prefer a manual for folder knives personally. Less to go wrong. Less things that can break.

All in all its a decent knife.

As far as switchblade and auto knives in general though. Too much that can go wrong. Failure to deploy. Snapping off at the bolster rivet. I prefer a knife with a solid through tang. Or a manual folder. Bigger is not better with knives and functionality. 3 inches is all you'll need usually. Larger knives like kbars to me are better used as tools for digging or like a prybar. Too big and don't change grips too well in my opinion. Although the filipinos have an art of using them with their slashing techniques that's very effective. For functionality I also prefer a knife with a nice sharp swedge or double edge.

new topics

top topics

join