It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Norway issues warnings about farmed Salmon....

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 01:11 AM
link   
articles.mercola.com...

Living on the west coast, indeed right on it....I have heard many not so delicious rumours about fish farmed salmon.....
Turns out the Norweigan Government thinks there are risks to eating them too......
Since I get to eat from the abundance of wild sea food here,.....im thinking maybe the influx of the salmon farms may be a little premature....
They are expanding operations as fast as they can it would seem.....
snippet from the link...

.A Norwegian researcher has raised serious concerns about high levels of contaminants in farm-raised salmon
She claims the type of contaminants detected in farmed salmon have a negative effect on brain development and is associated with autism, ADD / ADHD and reduced IQ. They can also affect your immune system and metabolism
The Norwegian Health Department has issued new official recommendations to women of childbearing age or who are pregnant,............

Fish farming it seems, has a right way and wrong way about it...like most things.....and the profitable way is not always the right one.....
We need to re examine the efficacy of our methods.....
Though the wild fish are the best .....IMHO...

edit on 12-1-2015 by stirling because: (no reason given)

And Not to disappoint the ATS tradition...heres the conspiracy part.....

articles.mercola.com...

with snippet from link as above....

Salmon Confidential draws back the curtain to reveal how the Canadian government is covering up the cause behind British Columbia’s rapidly dwindling wild salmon populations: fish farms
In British Columbia, pacific salmon are an essential species for the ecosystem. They fill hundreds of streams and rivers, feeding hundreds of species, including humans. Since the early 1990’s, salmon numbers have rapidly dwindled, coinciding with the introduction of farmed salmon pens

Sew it would be interesting to see of any Salmon farm workers may be on our site....I for one would like the inside dope.....anybody?

edit on Mon Jan 12 2015 by DontTreadOnMe because: IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

edit on Mon Jan 12 2015 by DontTreadOnMe because: ex tags added

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 01:15 AM
link   
a reply to: stirling

My girst ever job was a fishmonger and I do not eay farmed salmon.
Often I would open one up and the meat was white.
Not enoigh colouring in the feed often they had deformitys.
I will sticm to wild.

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 01:15 AM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

Phone soz.

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Aparently there are some worries about cancer causing agents as well a Creutzfelts disease....
Then theres the alledged damage to the wild stocks......(from my knowledge true to some extent but how much damage is arguable....)

It was very convenient for Harper to fire all those government scientists etc wasn't it?
I wonder of the fix was in......?
Perhaps a multi fix even....same service but charge everyone whos trying to put something past our watchdogs......

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 03:38 AM
link   
A salmon shouldn't reach 20lb in weight in a little over 12 months. Just the same as we do with cattle these farmed Salmon are pumped with growth hormones and various other drugs in their feed. Yum Yum.. Pacific Salmon or Atlantic Salmon sounds great, but it just means they were reared in farms in inlets of both Oceans.

If you want one. Go Catch a fresh runner.
edit on 12-1-2015 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-1-2015 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 04:17 AM
link   

Sea lice from farmed salmon are one of the most significant threats to wild salmon...
www.farmedanddangerous.org...

IHN a fatal salmon disease a potential threat to wild salmon...
www.ctvnews.ca...
edit on 12/1/15 by ccseagull because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 04:30 AM
link   
Sounds no different than feed lot cattle. Simply no good period.

I agree with the above, you want it go catch.

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 04:33 AM
link   

Need more details because this sounds like some propaganda from the beef, pork or chicken industry deflecting the concern onto "wild salmon".

And just how in the heck is farm raised salmon causing a reduction in wild salmon?

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 05:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Logarock

Need more details because this sounds like some propaganda from the beef, pork or chicken industry deflecting the concern onto "wild salmon".

And just how in the heck is farm raised salmon causing a reduction in wild salmon?

ccseagull member just answered your question in the post above yours.

It is not propaganda. There was a lot of media attention given a few years back about Scotland's Salmon farms.

If you do a google search, "Scottish farmed salmon concerns", then you will find many articles that are very informative.

I don't much like the idea of farmed fish, but as the stocks in our oceans dwindle and are probably equally as toxic because of our abuse of the ocean environment throughout all the world's oceans, the only way fish will be on the menu is by mainly farmed sources. I've watched this happening.

I live in a small fishing harbour town where the three oceans Atlantic, English Channel and Celtic Sea meet. I stress the word small yet it is the busiest working fishing harbour perhaps in the whole UK. European Union quotas have decimated the fishing industry in the UK. When I say decimated I mean decimated, no hype.

We hear constant worries about fishing stocks in our oceans, alarming as they are. Many areas of our oceans have become marine deserts as a direct result of our abuse. Russian factory ships have been dredging the ocean here for many years. Their methods are so shockingly destructive. They destroy the ocean bottom and I dread to think how much ocean life they kill and don't use.

The destruction of our oceans is not on many people's minds because it is so hidden. I can see a time common when our oceans are so toxic there will be nothing left in them if we carry on using them as a toilet and waste disposal.

Nooo, not propaganda! If you care about our impact on nature you should be worried, too.

edit on 12-1-2015 by lonesomerimbaud because: spelling.

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 05:21 AM
link   
a reply to: lonesomerimbaud

Yea I know this just don't see where fish farming is harming wild fish. That was stated in OP.

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 05:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Logarock
a reply to: lonesomerimbaud

Yea I know this just don't see where fish farming is harming wild fish. That was stated in OP.

The wild fish interact with the pens when they run. they feed off the same crap and the sea lice that feed off the Farmed Salmon attached themselves to the wild Salmon and vice versa.

Sea lice are a parasite, they feed on the blood of Farmed fish then attach themselves to the wild fish upsetting the gene pool.

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 06:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Logarock

The thing is that farmed salmon aren't in a natural state. They don't have the same life experiences as wild salmon, i.e.: spawning grounds, migration, etc. Being farmed in enclosures not only breeds disease but it affects the rest of the ecosystem in terms of other wildlife depending on that same food source; and salmon carcasses feed trees, provide forest habitat.

For example:
www.straight.com...
Reimchen cites the finding of another study that found N15 present in samples of bear urine and bear feces up to 800 metres from salmon streams. With thousands of kilometres of Coastal and Interior rivers and streams home to salmon, it’s not unreasonable to think that millions of hectares of forest may be involved.

Several years ago, Reimchen latched on to the idea of using tree rings to determine how trees at varying distances from fish-bearing rivers grow in response to the decaying salmon left behind by bears and other scavengers.

If the tree rings were found to contain the nitrogen isotope N15, it would be a sure sign that salmon were helping to feed the trees. Usually, N15 is almost undetectable in plants. But the isotope is found in the flesh of marine species and is relatively abundant in salmon because of their position near the top of the marine food chain. A reasonable proposition would be that if salmon parts were left near a tree, then as the salmon decayed, that tree would pick up N15. When the results of the tree-core analysis began coming in, an interesting picture emerged.

Reimchen learned that as much as 55 percent of this nitrogen isotope present in core samples taken from some streamside trees originated in salmon. Not only was N15 elevated in some trees, but it also rose and fell depending on salmon abundance.

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 06:26 AM
link   
The title of the OP is disingenuous. It should read that “some Norwegians”… To say “Norway” gives the article a pseudo authority as it implies an official Norwegian position, which is incorrect.

Although there is some interesting points made in the article, it has clearly been written with an anti-fish-farming bias. Basically, it’s all unsafe and if you eat farmed fish you’ll die!

Farmed salmon is inferior to wild salmon from a taste perspective, and there is a recorded negative environmental, especially in enclose sea lochs or fjords and the proliferation of parasites impacting wild fish.

Regards

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 06:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi

Although there is some interesting points made in the article, it has clearly been written with an anti-fish-farming bias. Basically, it’s all unsafe and if you eat farmed fish you’ll die!

Regards

Feel free to eat it 7 days a week. let us know the outcome.

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 06:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74
My girst ever job was a fishmonger and I do not eay farmed salmon.

Same here, we had the same girst job, and I try to never eay farm raised seafood also, particularly salmon. I always found it to be substandard as compared to its wild caught counterpart.

You phone really sozs by the way.

edit on 12-1-2015 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 06:55 AM
link   

Regarding British Columbia farms in the straits where wild salmon runs, a whistle-blower woman biologist went to WAR with Fish and Game officials on her study results.

I saw her documentary and was shocked by the ignorance and squashing of decent mercilessly to protect BIG BUsINess.

It might be ob YT or for sale on PBS.oeg

She was damaged greatly by this War...

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 06:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Granite

Granite - I wasn't aware of this woman. I found a link, very interesting. Thanks for the info.
www.theglobeandmail.com...

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 06:59 AM
link   
a reply to: ccseagull

Wow you know your stuff...starred your post.

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Check it out: What's In Farmed Salmon
www.whatsinfarmedsalmon.com...

A single serving of farmed salmon can contain roughly 3 times the toxins the US EPA has established for adults and nearly 6 times the tolerable level for a child

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Yes, that is her...a brave and strong professional. Thanks for finding a link.

originally posted by: ccseagull
a reply to: Granite

Granite - I wasn't aware of this woman. I found a link, very interesting. Thanks for the info.
www.theglobeandmail.com...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join