It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Knife Purchase Advice (please?)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 11:20 AM
link   
ok im still on the lookout for a "high-end" scale release auto... ill have to be ready to pounce when a good one hits the market.

in the meantime im going with this

the Volcan Amsterdam

when i started this search about a month ago these were abundant, and now i only see a few for sale. so i grabbed one.

thanks for all the advice and good sites.

oh and keep it coming if you like, i love a good knife.

now i gotta wait for shipping.

almost went higher end but for my 1st scale release... that Amsterdam is reviewed well and a bargain at around 100 dollars

peace
edit on 12-1-2015 by uwascallywabbit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: uwascallywabbit

The knife I cut the tip of my thumb off with was made in the Ford Machine shop by my wife's uncle when he worked as a machinist. It isn't the prettiest but it is made out of some great steel. It gets razor sharp and stays sharp. I was showing off how sharp it was by flicking it on a piece of paper and the paper would flip on the floor when I cut my thumb tip off which also flew on the floor. A knife like that is more dangerous than a gun. It instantly cuts flesh.

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 11:40 AM
link   
I could point you in the direction of a guy in Finland who sells nice Scandinavian Knives...Over 150 to chose from his collection. I bought 5 from him at Christmas as his prices were awesome for a good Scandi Blade...

Here's a nice wee skinner i got for £50. Carbon steel with a beautiful bit of Curly Birch on the handle.

edit on 12-1-2015 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Here's a link to some of his collection...some he wont sell though. He's open to offers BTW, some of the knives belong to a friend. He Posts World wide just ask for Postage cost. as I bought a few he posted free of charge. Genuine guy to deal with.

The Damascus steel Kukri's at the bottom look awesome as does the Dagger. 99% of Blades are new or never been resharpened.

Knife Collection

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 04:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

wow thats good looking work!

thanks for the link man

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 04:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: uwascallywabbit
a reply to: Soloprotocol

wow thats good looking work!

thanks for the link man

No Probs.... i'll personally vouch for the guy and his knives....some heavy duty blades if ye want a work horse right down to the fine gutting fish type stuff. I can assure you that the blades are of top quality as are the sheaths. good pass on to the next generation knives....The wood on some of the knifes is outstanding.

As i said, he's negotiable...so if he say's £90 offer £60 and meet in the middle or less..

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 08:00 PM
link   
My only advice is that when holding the knife hold it with the roundish dull end not the sharp and pointy end.

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Asynchrony

that advice is similar to advice i got young from my FIRST scoutmaster Fred H.

he was a good guy and put up with all of us.

also had a little flea market knife reselling business.. and i think WE were his best customers.

they told us not to throw them, and we DID.

scouting was a ton of fun and its USEFUL fun too. i can still tie a few knots if it comes down to it. field manual is still of the shelf in case i get hungry enough to eat a rabbit. (fingers crossed) LOL

i think that being a scoutmaster is like being a lion who just lets the cubs crawl over him. each little cub is growling "im the king of all beasts!" and the scoutmaster is like (sigh) whos got hot cocoa?

im just a regular dude BUT

that early training made me think i could survive a bit if i had to

even as a 45 yr old, i feel that a knife and a way to make fire are in my pocket or i just aint dressed

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 10:44 AM
link   
just took another look at knife laws in my home state, and it looks like this purchase can legally sit on the shelf. it has a safety mechanism to keep the blade from deploying as an auto. but for the record, that amsterdam is going into the collection, NOT the pocket.

last time i bought knives i was in CA and the laws were a bit dif.

tiny autos are just normal legal now in CA.

but they are SO SMALL its almost like a toothpick joke

even the Microtech utx-70 is TOO BIG

they put out a smaller one for CA legal

BUT BUT BUT

check out this IMPRACTICAL OTF WINNER (loser?)

the Microtech Venomtech

pure non-sense

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: uwascallywabbit

ok it just arrived

talk about fast shipping

ok so for 105 US i got a scale release dual action auto

from Matt Diskin's company. he used to work with Butch Vallotton, who invented the nifty scale release auto.

for the price, this is a good knife.

i would NOT call it hard use, but for a lower end price, it has G10 scales, and a decent AUS8 blade.

opens smooth on manual and fires strong on auto. arrived oiled and sharp, but it will become sharper soon!

i would suggest grabbing one if you like the style as this type of knife seems a bit rarer than i first suspected.

thanks for all the input, and

PEACE

top topics

<< 1   >>

join