It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking: West Jet WA2154 is squawking 7500 - possible Hijack situation (Update: False Alert)...

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 06:19 PM
link   
a reply to: MrMaybeNot

Four rotating switches that each have to be turned to the individual number, then a separate button pushed if you're hitting IDENT, which highlights your code on the screen.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 06:21 PM
link   
a reply to: opethPA

If it popped once, pilot error. Three times, both pilots missed that it was set to 7500, and the controller didn't nudge them after the first time.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 06:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Four rotating switches that each have to be turned to the individual number, then a separate button pushed if you're hitting IDENT, which highlights your code on the screen.

Thanks for the info, so I'm guessing that the glitch was on the tracker side rather than a pilot mistake..

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 06:23 PM
link   
From West Jet:

There is no abnormal behavior from WestJet flight #2154. We expect it to land shortly in Puerto Vallarta.

Contrary to internet rumour, air traffic control has confirmed #WS2154 is “squawking” standard transponder code, not 7500.

#WS2154 has landed in Puerto Vallarta and arrived at its gate on schedule.

Captain confirms by phone that #WS2154 has arrived safely at its destination. The crew did not squawk “7500” as reported.

twitter.com...

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 06:24 PM
link   

a reply to: opethPA

If it popped once, pilot error. Three times, both pilots missed that it was set to 7500, and the controller didn't nudge them after the first time.

Doesn't sound like an easy thing to accidentally do.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 06:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Ok, suppose, because this is a conspiracy site, that someone took over the plane and landed it, having done some evil deed to the pilot. How long before we would hear about it?

Guess those pilots are in a heap of trouble?

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 06:26 PM
link   

It happens sometimes. On 9/11 a KAL cargo flight into Alaska popped a 7500.

I have the FR24 app, and follow the site closely. I've never heard it change codes like that.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 06:27 PM
link   
a reply to: daaskapital

Or someone is covering their ass.

link   

It happens sometimes. On 9/11 a KAL cargo flight into Alaska popped a 7500.

I have the FR24 app, and follow the site closely. I've never heard it change codes like that.

Thanks, that's interesting. Great to have you on ATS!

link   
a reply to: aboutface

They can be. They'll at least get an interview.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I wonder why the Pentagon was so quick to pipe up with that apparently unconfirmed info that the pilots accidentally squawked ... now the blame is on the website changing the codes?
Seems a little weird.
edit on bu312015-01-10T18:33:01-06:0006America/ChicagoSat, 10 Jan 2015 18:33:01 -06006u15 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 06:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
I wonder why the Pentagon was so quick to pipe up with that apparently unconfirmed info that the pilots accidentally squawked ... now the blame is on the website changing the codes?
Seems a little weird.

I think someone might be trying to save his job... WestJet denied flight #WA2154 squawked 7500 while NORAD confirms it squawked 7500, but "erroneously"... Who's right?

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 06:34 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Exactly. I've never heard of a glitch on a tracking site that randomly changes codes. And why to that one?

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 06:36 PM
link   

That would be a good explanation.
Good luck with them trying that one. It should all be confirmed if they did do the squawk.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 08:02 PM
link   

It's being reported there are three people in the cockpit.

Oh dear, Otto again!.

Two other possibilities...."Club Alta Millas" member or "Take Your Child to Work" event

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Pilots have to purposely tune the knobs to 7500. Its not an error, maybe something did happen in the cockpit and is now being covered up for some reason

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I apologize for my lack of knowledge on the subject, but the comments I'm reading are interesting for sure.. Can someone explain this more in layman's terms for me? What I've picked up so far was that there was a distress code sent "7500" for a hijacking, but the code was a glitch and the plane safely landed... And this distress code is not something simply done like "oops I bumped my elbow into a button triggering it", but they actually had to turn multiple knobs and then punch in a button?

I don't see how this could be an accident at all? I dunno.. I'm confused by this all..

Side question directed to Zaphod- just my curiosity getting the best of me, but you are essentially the resident aviation expert on this site. Were you a military and/or commercial pilot, or just a fan of the subject?

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 10:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Nochzwei

I won't say it happens all the time, but it dies happen that a pilot accidentally puts in 7500 without there being anything happening.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 10:02 PM
link   
a reply to: jhn7537

Civilian that grew up and worked on a military ramp.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 10:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

From what I understand, when any of the 7 series squawks are entered, the ATC scope automatically IDENTs and brings attention to the airplane in distress.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join