It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mars warmer than parts of Canada, U.S.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Lots of ugliness going on in the world right now but for whatever reason THIS captured my attention. Currently the UK is getting hammered by 100mph winds, the US is in the deep freeze it's been a fast jump off into winter!

www.cbc.ca...

It will be colder than @MarsCuriosity's location in Gale Crater throughout much [of] the northern U.S. and Canada today," a tweet from Mars Weather, an account with updates from a weather instrument on board the rover, read Thursday.

On Thursday, Mars reached a high of –8 C at the Gale Crater.
While some 3.5 billion years ago Mars may have had a similar climate to Earth, the planet is now very cold, NASA says. In the summer, the Curiosity Rover could experience a high of 20 C if located near Mars's equator, or a low of –153 C at either of its poles.
But, that didn't stop the Gale Crater from being cozier than most of Canada on Thursday.

Plus it's been awhile since everyone took some time to "vent" about more mundane things like "OMG! my car is buried!"
"where's my street??"
"anyone see a salt truck??"

www.dailymail.co.uk...

It's so bad right now the Daily Mail noticed!! (I know, right?)
Currently here it's -2 degrees with a nifty -10 to -20 windchill. My songbirds hit the feeders like the Vikings hitting a medieval church and the wind chime seems to have frozen silent.

Hope everyone is warm and safe this evening!

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 06:25 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 06:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Caver78

Hey Caver78!!
YES!! Please!! Let's complain about the weather!! lol

I'm in SW Ontario, about an hour from Toronto...and today the wind chill was -28 degrees Celcius! (I know, right?)
I was out driving a lot today, the roads are terrible....white-outs everywhere from the wind....
Ugh.

S&F
jacygirl

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 06:31 PM
link   
All the more reason for me to stay indoors, curled up in my jammies munching on Lay's Sour Cream & Onion chips, and reading the crazy antics in ATS threads.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 06:37 PM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

lol...And that's EXACTLY what I'm doing now too, only the chips are Lays BACON!!

I was doing favours for people today (dr. appts, etc.)...not their fault the weather was crap. It's SW Ontario in January, lol...it's gonna be crap!

jacygirl eh?

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 06:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: jacygirl

Hey Caver78!!
YES!! Please!! Let's complain about the weather!! lol

I'm in SW Ontario, about an hour from Toronto...and today the wind chill was -28 degrees Celcius! (I know, right?)
I was out driving a lot today, the roads are terrible....white-outs everywhere from the wind....
Ugh.

S&F
jacygirl

Ditto for us but we are about 2.5 hours from Toronto if the roads are clear which they are not. It's been a Chilling week and it looks like it is going to continue for some time.

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 06:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: CranialSponge
All the more reason for me to stay indoors, curled up in my jammies munching on Lay's Sour Cream & Onion chips, and reading the crazy antics in ATS threads.

Ketchup chips here, the track pants are on and the wood for tomorrows fire is stacked inside the door, the wind is incredible and it just takes your breath away.
I suppose it's too late to bring in the garden hoses now? :-)

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 06:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Iwinder

Hey Iwinder! Didn't know we were neighbours!
Yes, we are supposed to just keep getting it for a while...got to pay for that green Christmas we just had.

After today, I think I'd rather be on Mars, hehe....

jacygirl

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Is the atmosphere the same on both planets? Nope.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 06:47 PM
link   
a reply to: jacygirl

If it's any comfort to the both of you, my area just finished with the deep freeze that you are both now seeing in your area (my apologies for passing it your way). It lasted for maybe about a week and we're now back to normal temps of around -20 degrees.

So it shouldn't last too long for you guys in the balmy southern Ontario tropics.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 06:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: CranialSponge

If it's any comfort to the both of you, my area just finished with the deep freeze that you are both now seeing in your area (my apologies for passing it your way). It lasted for maybe about a week and we're now back to normal temps of around -20 degrees.

So it shouldn't last too long for you guys in the balmy southern Ontario tropics.

Funny you should mention that......I could of swore that I smelled Onion and just a hint of Sour Cream in our wind today:-)
As far as warming up goes the 5 day forecast shows nothing but more of the same crap, We pray you are correct in your prediction.

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 06:57 PM
link   

LOL

Oop, sorry... I'll brush my teeth before I blow in your direction next time.

And don't feel so bad, we left our garden hoses out too... plum forgot about them.

Guess we'll both be hitting Canadian Tire come this spring... I knew my big fat wad of Canadian Tire money would come in handy at some point.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 06:59 PM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

Hey buster! I could use a change of atmosphere about now, lol.

Cranial...Well thanks for sending this our way!

Every year I hate it a little bit more, lol. I just can't imagine being elderly and having to deal with this.
Golden years my hiney!

jacygirl

Edit to add: How much have you got in Cdn. Tire money? I have a good-sized wad, and just counted it....$4.10....I was so disappointed, hahaha....
edit on 9-1-2015 by jacygirl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Am south of some of you and east of some, so THANKS!!!

The roads here don't get cleared unless a school bus needs to get thru. Let me tell ya, the constant 2 hr delays are killing me!! I'm on a hill so you have to shoot out the driveway, hang that left and pray real hard you don't skitter into the field across the road.

It's like Nascar on ice....uphill.
GRINS!!

Bless you Jacygirl for helping others!

Tomorrow I'm braving it for a snacky-run. Too many stores decided THIS was the week for serious specials. Ohhhh nooooo.....not Thanksgiving week, Christmas week or New Years but NOW when you need 2 pairs of long handles on, layers of shirts and by the time you've gotten your scarf & boots on....

it's time for the "call of nature"
it's just like being 9 yrs old again....
sigh

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

Ya know?
The atmosphere's really are different! I see you're currently located in the Seventh Circle of Hell, so how much colder does it have to get before we're all your neighbors??

Seeing as Hell is due to freeze over any second now.
(hugs to you)

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Sorry, had no choice. It was either send it your way or get stuck with the cold front hanging over my head. Needless to say, the decision was pretty dang easy: Grab large piece of cardboard, stand on garage rooftop, and start fanning in an easterly direction pronto.

The last time I counted, I had $19.35 in CT money. But hubby just handed me a whole bunch more the other day (he's addicted to Mastercraft tools)... so I need to recount.

Nothing I love more than shopping for free.

Wee !

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Well thank you, Caver!!

Must admit, I laughed...loudly...that was funny to read, and I can relate to it all!

I knew that mild December was the calm before the apocalypto-storm! It was too good to be true.
Last winter we had wind chills of -45 degrees....I shiver just typing it...

jacygirl

Edit: Cranial...Wow, nearly 20 buck$? I'm jealous....free is good....
edit on 9-1-2015 by jacygirl because: jealou$

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 07:11 PM
link   
From Turkey to Israel is also getting "snow-clobbered" not too unusual, just unexpected for that area. Hope the kids are enjoying it.

www.theweathernetwork.com... position

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Cranial you has CT cash????
So jealous!!
We send it in "special friends" Christmas cards. The 5 cent ones have been swapped around for like ever between all of us!!
HUGE SMILES!!

When did we go from cold fronts to OMG!!! the Polar Vortex just slid off it's cracker??
December was shockingly nice here. Over thanksgiving there was a bare 1inch of snow and I had to drag the grand-tot around the yard on his new sled.

(words don't describe how pathetic)

Sled didn't work, so I gave up and hauled him around on a garbage can lid cause that was the only thing that was going to slide. Now it's too cold for the kid to be outside more than a half hour.

I'm guessing this winter is going to be a 300b of Black Oil sunflower seed year.

edit on 9-1-2015 by Caver78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 07:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Caver78

(words don't describe how pathetic)

I'm guessing this winter is going to be a 300b of Black Oil sunflower seed year.

OMG...I just spit my tea out, laughing at that....(words don't describe how pathetic)....so funny...

Also...gotta ask...what is with the 300b of Black Oil sunflower seed?

jacygirl

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join