It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religion needs to die

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 04:18 PM
link   
a reply to: borntowatch

I think in a few generations and maybe some massive event religion will die off by itself.
No need to kill it it will just fade away.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Religion will continue to die off over the next few generations. There is no need to intervene in people's beliefs. Common sense and rationality will ultimately prevail. Hopefully, the lack of organized religion is replaced by an increase in spirituality and genuine goodness.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 04:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Yeahkeepwatchingme
So are you insinuating that all belief systems are inadequate substitutes for the Divine Intelligence?

Maybe people who misinterpret scripture, use religion to further their hatred, play on people's fears of eternal damnation/separation from God, to control and profit are the problem and not the religion?

Can't find the right comparison but it's like taking something away from everyone because some "misuse" it.

Yes. I am insinuating that doctrinal/belief systems ARE indeed inadequate substitutes for a real spiritual relationship with the Divine.

Religion is nothing but doctrinal interpretation of written scriptures. So it IS the problem.

Some people need religion (the travel guide) because they can't take the journey on their own. So much of the travel guide is nothing but slick pictures and exaggeration.....and it comes with a price tag. Cling to it if you choose. I care not. But stop inflicting pain and heartache on others in the name of it and its doctrinal rules.

edit on 9-1-2015 by queenofswords because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Much of what you say is true and could also be said of Governments .I guess that believing something does not make a religion but where two or more may agree and contemplate the finer points might be considered a religion .If you want to see it disappear then make it so to yourself and find a filter process .There is that saying that ignorance can be bliss . a reply to: queenofswords

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 04:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs

Religion needs to die.

Then you need to come & kill me motha lova!!!

Sorry....in my way of thinking "religion" does not equal "you", motha lova.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 04:24 PM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

I am a believer in the Divine Intelligence that governs the universe, but not in man-made religious organizations that suck the spiritual energy out of that universe.

That's a personal choice to be bled

One I choose not to avoid

Cody

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 04:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: cody599

Not all of us find our way to ourselves through ourselves

Some need to look at themselves from a different perspective, if they choose religion to be judged by, that's very much their choice, and should not be condemned for it.

Sometimes in life we need a belief stronger than we believe we can be, I'm fine with that.

Killing in the name of religion, before you all go there is a mental disorder, not a calling, and I won't argue that point.

Ban religion ?

Why kick away the very thing that gives some people hope ?

Just my 2 cents

Cody

I'm DEFINITELY not talking about banning it. I think it will die all by itself. As I said in a previous post, some people are only capable of reading the travel guide and listening to the travel agent's spiel. I don't propose purposely taking anything away from anybody.....no banning of your religion.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 04:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords

And while you are foaming at the mouth over my rant, just what is a believer. I am a believer in the Divine Intelligence that governs the universe, but not in man-made religious organizations that suck the spiritual energy out of that universe.

Am I foaming out the mouth?
Sadly all I can see what you believe in is an us and them mentality, you calling for a destruction of those you dislike, exactly the same thing thing you accuse the religious of.
You say religion should be destroyed, people are religious so you call for the destruction of people, I am not foaming at the mouth, just sad people like you exist.
You are a fundamentalist

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 04:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74

I think in a few generations and maybe some massive event religion will die off by itself.
No need to kill it it will just fade away.

Will it? Then how come in China ( almost a third of the world population) there are an increasing amount of people turning to Christianity? Why is The Russian Orthodox Church continuing to grow and find its place as the Church of that nation?

I think that in Britain and the U.S people are losing interest in religion. I do not think it is dying out on a world level. Go to India and tell yourself that religion is dying out.

edit on 9-1-2015 by lonesomerimbaud because: spelling.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 04:35 PM
link   
a reply to: lonesomerimbaud

Then how come in China ( almost a third of the world population) there are an increasing amount of people turning to Christianity?

Because all things western are cool in China, and because anything that is forbidden becomes irresistible.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 04:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: BELIEVERpriest

I hardly think that this thread qualifies as a denial of ignorance, especially when you target and attack another individual's way of life. Now, I dont consider myself to be religious (I am spiritual), but I do believe that there is much cultural and historical insite to be gained by taking the time to study and understand any given religion. Some of the best human beings I know are very religious people.

It's a rant. That's why it is in the RANT forum.

I am not attacking anybody nor their choice to belong to an organized religion. To each his own. I, too, know some wonderful people that are rabid in their religion.

It is an opinion about organized religion and the ills it causes.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 04:37 PM
link   

How am I inflicting pain and heartache by having certain beliefs? You just seem to have gripes with religion but forget that people twist beliefs to suit their own insanity and that's why we have fundamentalist crazies.

Religion is very personal for some, can't be summed up by scripture. Your knee jerk, umbrella judgements are simply ridiculous. Should fanaticism and violence stop? Absolutely. But don't condemn those who have beliefs because a fraction are causing problems.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Did you miss the part where I said something will happen first?.
I think it will happen because of religion and then people will reject it.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 04:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aliian

Religion can't die, until all the dead are resurrected.

Yes it can and lets see if religion gets resurrected in three days or as I suspect the corpse just rots.
edit on 9-1-2015 by HUMBLEONE because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 04:55 PM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

Something will happen? It would have to be on a world level.

I think religion (organised and communal spiritual practise) is an intrinsic need in humans. We have practised it seemingly as long as we have been homo sapiens.

Here is a quote from an article on The Economist website;

"Predicting Christianity’s growth is even harder. Yang Fenggang of Purdue University, in Indiana, says the Christian church in China has grown by an average of 10% a year since 1980. He reckons that on current trends there will be 250m Christians by around 2030".

Cracks in the atheist edifice

It seems that part of the Atheism agenda is to rid the world of religion in the BELIEF that it will make everything better. This was given a chance with Communism. Even with all the might of state and power religion could not be silenced.

I have to put up every day with people being cruel about what I believe. They think I am beneath them because of my beliefs. It is crazy. Einstein was a Jew who believed in God. Look what came from his mind! Think about all the amazing Arabic scientists and mathematical tradition that comes from Arabia.

On a light hearted note it's not religion that kills people, it's people. Same argument as the gun lobbyists.

Sorry just had to challenge you on the dying out thing. It is just the West really where people are losing interest. Who's to know the future, though.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 04:57 PM
link   

I understand what you are saying....I think religion is a joke...but at the same time it brings millions of people...maybe even billions happiness of some kind. I like computer games...they make me happy...id hate to see someone take away my computer games because a few kids do something violent after playing a video game. To each their own is how I feel.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 04:59 PM
link   

God wouldn't have a religion why should we? it just causes division.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 05:03 PM
link   
I understand. I too believe that religion is the source of much misery in the world. But whatever it is that connects someone to a greater purpose whether it's the self or a God, isn't for anyone else to say. All we can do is spread the concept of not judging/condemning all by the few. Dictating to others won't solve anything.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 05:12 PM
link   

As always, I respect your opinion but I think it isn't religion that needs to die but how people see their religion that needs to die (or change). Religion isn't always the worst thing, and a lot of the time its something people use to go out and do charitable work and yes I'm aware that people who aren't religious do charitable work and that but most of the time its a religious reason or backing. The problem is, that people are taking the words of scripture and suddenly think that it gives them an okay to attack people who do not wish to follow any religion or believe in their god.

See I have a religion, though I dont know whether it's one that is widely used but I believe in creation but not by a being but more from a force, a creation force like Gravity etc. This force is what was before the universe and will be here after to bring in the next universe. It moves through this universe giving life to worlds and creating the very building blocks that will grow to become what we know.

I just feel that people who see religion as the evil are wrong (not completely wrong but pretty close) religion like any other book or material can be interpreted in many ways and sometimes, well lately, most of the time is taken in the wrong direction.

(I will add that I've never read any religious text before the first paragraphs. There isn't a reason for that, I just dont really find them interesting.)

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 05:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74

No Religion doesn't mean no more God.
Please don't assume all believers in god are religious.
Religion is man made not from god.

I think one day people who don't buy into the religous BS will have had enough and leave the lot of you on earth while we reach for the stars...let you all kill each other off and we will come back with new pals and a better way of thinking and living

That was epic
Very well put.

(I have tried to express this sentiment a few times and botched up leaving me to look like an ignoramus)

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join