It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can I Offend Gay or Black people in Cartoon Drawings and get away with it ?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: 0SolidSnake0

Reminds me of a joke I just made up right this second:

An "N word" and a "C Word" and a "WTF Word" all met up in a bar with a mentally challenged dwarf,and a lesbian africaan nun.
All of a sudden,
in walks a jew,a shia muslim,a zoroastrian and a yazidi.
Next come the taoist and the celtic pagans.
Then the stragglers-hindus,bhuddists and last of all sneaking along the trail are the agnostics and atheists.
I am amongst the stragglers now,and I help them carry what makes them slow.
The machine of science-that heavy book of truth.
Can it be carried through the chaos?
It can be,if people unite.

Well,sheeeit-my joke isn't funny is it?
Turned out not to be a joke at all.
apologies..

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Why does one want/need to offend anyone? Pretty shallow life if that is one's objective imo.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
Why does one want/need to offend anyone? Pretty shallow life if that is one's objective imo.

Might one not be talking hypathetically

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Create your own business and then make everything you do that is not politically correct known to the media. They can't fire you. They give you free publicity. I work them, not the other way around. Just find the flaws and abuse the # out them. I'm not required to side with any cause if I do not want to do so. If some group or person thinks they can force feed me their agenda, I'll turn it back on them.

Politically correct is the dog # of our time. Destroy it.

edit on 9-1-2015 by LOSTinAMERICA because: (no reason given)

(post by Jamie1 removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 03:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Soloprotocol

You see this is a perfect example of what the problem is.

In Islam it is forbidden to create any image in alikeness to the Prophet, for anyone.

Its not like in Christianity where it is encouraged and how we have all these beautiful paintings of the saints and Jesus.

No in Islam to do that is a grave sin, it is blasphemy to even try to draw a picture of the prophet.

So if your a Muslim and you see some atheist western has created a image of your prophet, but not only that has done so as a joke, you are going to get pissed off. Moderate or fanatic you are going to be offended, by that, and as a culture who see nothing wrong with that I don't think we quite understand why Muslims get so offended by it.

These pictures are just more ammunition (as if they needed any) for the extreme Imans to radicalise the youth with.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 03:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

In Islam it is forbidden to create any image in alikeness to the Prophet, for anyone.

Its not like in Christianity where it is encouraged and how we have all these beautiful paintings of the saints and Jesus.

No in Islam to do that is a grave sin, it is blasphemy to even try to draw a picture of the prophet.

So if your a Muslim and you see some atheist western has created a image of your prophet, but not only that has done so as a joke, you are going to get pissed off. Moderate or fanatic you are going to be offended, by that, and as a culture who see nothing wrong with that I don't think we quite understand why Muslims get so offended by it.

These pictures are just more ammunition (as if they needed any) for the extreme Imans to radicalise the youth with.

No, the problem is this:

is used to justify mass murder.

link   
a reply to: Jamie1

Show me gags like that in a mainstream news paper and targeted not a women but at homosexuals or ethnic groups (not that it is right against women)

lets face it, publishing satire around religion is pretty dam popular these days in the MSN, show me the homophobic or racist cartoons that Je Suis Charlie were publishing.

Again I am not saying that it is right what happened.

All I am saying is that it is hypocritical that we will tolerate what is extremely offensive gags aimed at religious groups but when it comes to other groups in society such as say people of ethnic groups we take a much tougher line.
edit on 9-1-2015 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

link   
dp
edit on 9-1-2015 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 03:34 PM
link   

NO!!!!

It is not!!!!

The problem is that you are giving a depiction of the prophet Mohammed, not only that but you are portraying him as a "bully" that is incredibly blasphemous and offensive to people of the Islamic faith.

How we engage Islamic communities is all wrong, this Idea that Islam is a "evil" religion is just as offensive as calling blacks "evil" or homosexuals "evil" none of which is true.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Show me gags like that in a mainstream news paper.

lets face it, publishing satire around religion is pretty dam popular these days in the MSN, show me the homophobic or racist cartoons that Je Suis Charlie were publishing.

Again I am not saying that it is right what happened.

All I am saying is that it is hypocritical that we will tolerate what is extremely offensive gags aimed at religious groups but when it comes to other groups in society such as say people of ethnic groups we take a much tougher line.

Can you not read?

All those "gags" as you call them are just a tiny sampling of what's not only tolerated, but rewarded in the music industry.

Again, the problem is THIS...

Is used to justify mass murder.

And yes, I knew what you're saying. That's why I called it out as being ridiculous. It's like blaming rape victims for how they dress. Idiotic.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 03:37 PM
link   

"Your rights stop where my feelings begin" is not a good social policy. Where does it end? If I make a fart joke and it offends a passerby, should I be punished?

Being pressured to stop expressing freedom of speech via violence and threats will never end well. I truly, truly hope Charlie Hebdo's cartoons are spread as far and wide as possible, as a giant middle finger to anyone who might get their precious little feelers hurt because someone drawed a piktur of their darling widdle prophet.

Suck it up sally.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Yes it is wrong to justify murder because "the drew a offensive picture of our prophet"

But at the same time, it was wrong to draw the picture in the first place.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 03:41 PM
link   
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

"Your rights stop where my feelings begin" is not a good social policy. Where does it end? If I make a fart joke and it offends a passerby, should I be punished?

how about you take that "your right stop were my feeling begin" and start telling people how much you hate blacks and call them all the names you can think of.

like i said, freedom of speech comes with the responsibility to respect others so as not to cause offence, there should be no need to "tell people" what they can and cannot say. We don't need to tell people not to use the "N-word" just like we should not need to tell people not to draw a picture of "that guy"

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Everyone is holier than thou. All I can say it my # don't stink because I took two teaspoons of perfume this morning. See? We all do it. Music is pushing the envelop to see how much it can get away with. It looks like a lot to me. That shows you were this generation's mindset is.

While praising 100 people I offended 2. The 2 can shut up. We don't want to hear you. If I'm offended, I'll say my peace to the person who did it and drop the issue because there's no time to give an ignorant bastard.

I tried to be a little over the top because it proves a point.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I see it like this. Making fun of something you are born with is quite unfair but jokes are being made about homosexuals and black people and nobody has died because of it.

Religion however is a choice, even though it sometimes is a choice after years of brainwashing from your family.
And yes, religion deserves all the mocking available. If it is strong, then you'll be able to take it.

Religion is made up ancient rubbish. You may disagree but that is my opinion.
Homosexuality and blackness isn't made up, it's real. So is disability and other things that really exist and can't be changed.

If religious people behave like asses, then yeah, someone should tell them in the hope that someone will wake up and smell the coffee.

That is the difference between mocking REAL people and an idea.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Hecate666

I think you make a good point, but some would say that gender, sexuality and even to some extent nationality can all be a "choice"

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 03:46 PM
link   

a reply to: ScientificRailgun

how about you take that "your right stop were my feeling begin" and start telling people how much you hate blacks and call them all the names you can think of.

like i said, freedom of speech comes with the responsibility to respect others so as not to cause offence, there should be no need to "tell people" what they can and cannot say. We don't need to tell people not to use the "N-word" just like we should not need to tell people not to draw a picture of "that guy"
"That guy", you mean Mohammed? Is he now Voldemort status? I just updated my headcanon. Mohammed is Voldemort. Delicious.

To respond to your post, though, I can go around saying the "N" word all I like and making offensive racist jokes in free western countries like the U.S.

I can join the Westboro folks holding up signs saying "Thank god for dead soldiers" and "God hates fags"

I can make poorly drawn satirical cartoons lampooning every jew in the world. And nobody can arrest me for any of these things. Are the socially acceptable? In most places, no. But it won't get me killed, and there's not a freaking RELIGION that says I'm not allowed to say the N word, and I should be killed for saying it.

THAT'S the distinction.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: 0SolidSnake0

No you can't...especially with mutts like me who is an equal opportunity racist and makes fun of my race ALL THE TIME. I'm a human being, I can't choose my race...but I can choose to blow people up over a belief.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 03:49 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

But at the same time, it was wrong to draw the picture in the first place.

The way I see it, it's wrong for Muslims to draw an image of their prophet. It's also wrong, in my understanding for Muslims to eat pork. But it's not for Muslims to dictate what's "wrong" for those of us who aren't Muslims. Everyone has to endure public displays that go against their personal morals and sensibilities.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join