It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Phoenix: I need some suggestions

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 04:58 AM
link   

I'm working on a project idea, relating to the problems plaguing the inner cities of our country (usa). the situation is very volatile, inhumane and unhealthy on so many levels, i've lost count. At one point, I did some research into the cause and effect of the situation and realized the prison system is doubling as a mental and emotional health complex, which it is not equipped to do by any stretch of the imagination and actually exacerbates the problem. To add to the compounding issues, the violence and crime in impoverished areas, has caused entire generations of people to become vulnerable targets for all manner of related mental, physical and emotional trauma. This complicates their lives as well as the lives of anyone who interacts with them, such as police departments, people from outside their neighborhoods and so on.

So i came up with an idea called "The Phoenix". the concept behind the phoenix is to get the fire departments in the inner cities, to support, host and act as distribution centers for charitable donations, raised via a Go Fund Me account in their organizations name (i don't want anything to do with the money part of this and figured something like a fire department is a localized entity with enough clout to get things done). The charitable donations would be used to erect at least one large vertical farm in each city and at least one massive mental and emotional well being clinic, capable of supporting and distributing both mainstream and alternative medical/emotional and mental health, medicines, herbs and so on.

Problem is, I don't know where to start. Calling my local fire department with such a project, would probably make their eyeballs sweat. it's a big thing. it needs some real umph behind it. cause it's a big idea with the potential to help alot of people and wouldn't make it past the first reading of just some fire chief in some random fire department.

anybody have any ideas how to get something like this started?
edit on 9-1-2015 by undo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 05:47 AM
link   
i was also thinking that the charitable donations would serve to generate jobs and income flow, as people could be hired to erect the buildings, maintain the buildings and provide the services. they could also serve as inter-racial/inter-cultural hubs, as eastern and western medical treatments, both from medicines/herbs and from counselling, karate, yoga, that kinda thing, combine to solve problems.

if this worked well, it could be instituted in any city where there's a population of the poor and suffering. the government by itself, just can't seem to use the monies we give them in taxes, to the best effect for the poor. so if we had a world wide fund raising campaign for charitable donations, funneled thru the local fire depts, (have that aspect of it be volunteer work only with no big dollar salaries siphoning money off the top), that might actually give the effort better available resources.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 06:16 AM
link   
Sounds like a great idea .Might I suggest you approach a Church in your area ? I say that because there may be some individuals within it that might be a help . a reply to: undo

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 06:18 AM
link   
a reply to: undo

Look up what it takes to become a charity in your neck of the woods and find out whether you can access funding from grants etc to help get you started.

I think you have a great idea and it would help a lot of people. You will need to make speeches to different groups of people and remember regular meeting groups, especially of women will welcome a speaker and provided you know your subject, nerves - if you suffer from them will quicky dissolve once you get started and realise the people in front of you want to hear what you have to say and probably help. Good luck.1q

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 06:27 AM
link   
thanks for the comments.

i'm not capable physically, of doing circuits or even boots on the ground/voice in a box. i'm a coma survivor, breast cancer survivor, gulf war syndrome survivor, diabetes ongoing (i think i got that from the chemotherapy) and related issues (my kidneys are getting a bit unhappy as well. stress and me are not on friendly terms at this time lol.

i think it needs a person of color to champion it, as well, to avoid unnecessary complications as the idea is actually bigger than racial differences but not everyone is going to grasp that. my daughter has a friend who lives with us now, who is black, (she's currently away on vacation. i'm babysitting her blue and gold macaw parrot named "Abu" hehe) and she might be able to present it, but she's a bit young (although quite brilliant and well spoken). i'll have to ruminate on that.'

here they are (on the left is my possible champion and on the right is my daughter)

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 06:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: undo

So i came up with an idea called "The Phoenix". the concept behind the phoenix is to get the fire departments in the inner cities, to support, host and act as distribution centers for charitable donations...

Something important to keep in mind; the fire departments are owned by the city or municipality and the firemen work there through a mutually agreed upon collective bargaining agreement.

You would need to get the buy in of the respective city to use the firehouses to do this and also ensure that it does not conflict with the union agreement that each city has with its employees.

edit on 9-1-2015 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 06:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

So i came up with an idea called "The Phoenix". the concept behind the phoenix is to get the fire departments in the inner cities, to support, host and act as distribution centers for charitable donations...

Something important to keep in mind; the fire departments are owned by the city or municipality and the firemen work there through a mutually agreed upon collective bargaining agreement.

You would need to get the buy in of the respective city to use the firehouses to do this and also ensure that it does not conflict with the union agreement that each city has with its employees.

yeah, i was wondering how all that would work. what happens when the fire departments have fund raisers? maybe that mechanism can be used for this? don't most firemen donate their time in fund raising events for their departments?

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 06:47 AM
link   

yeah, i was wondering how all that would work. what happens when the fire departments have fund raisers?

Those are typically volunteer departments that need the money to operate. City run departments have the salaries and upkeep taken from property taxes. A city funded department would most likely not be able to officially collect money as they are not set up as a 501:C:3.

Firemen can form a group, independent of the department, and take part in fundraising activities but it starts to become complicated when you want it to be an officially 'sanctioned' event.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 07:00 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

hmmm. does a charitable fund raiser for a community project have to be officially sanctioned?

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Here a sketch of your farming building and hospital. Now let's take that a bit further. Imagine this thing going around any city and the living area inside this mega structure.

Stepped area will be for cropping and farming, the other area will be for hospitals, schools, offices, etc.
edit on 9-1-2015 by Abednego because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 07:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Abednego
Here a sketch of your farming building and hospital. Now let's take that a bit further. Imagine this thing going around any city and the living area inside this mega structure.

Stepped area will be for cropping and farming, the other area will be for hospitals, schools, offices, etc.

oh wow, that's a bit more intensive than i was imagining. lol
when i said vertical, i meant like vertically upwards. one building. each floor containing a single crop, several floors of crops. then distribute a separate basket for each floor. then they can go in, and pick which kinds of foods they want, based on the floor, and have like a stack of baskets. maybe once a week or something, they can go back and repeat that, so their families always have healthy, fresh veggies/grains/fruits. that alone can solve a plethora of medical,mental and emotional problems.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 07:35 AM
link   

hmmm. does a charitable fund raiser for a community project have to be officially sanctioned?

I would think if you are using public property that you would have to have municipal support.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 07:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I would think if you are using public property that you would have to have municipal support.

well it's probably better if it has some kind of official oversight, anyway, so it can't be accused as easily of being some kind of scam or tax laundering scheme. i mean there needs to be a good paper trail for the donation and distribution process.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 07:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Abednego

oh wow, that's a bit more intensive than i was imagining. lol
when i said vertical, i meant like vertically upwards. one building. each floor containing a single crop, several floors of crops. then distribute a separate basket for each floor. then they can go in, and pick which kinds of foods they want, based on the floor, and have like a stack of baskets. maybe once a week or something, they can go back and repeat that, so their families always have healthy, fresh veggies/grains/fruits. that alone can solve a plethora of medical,mental and emotional problems.

The reason for the stepped building is because crops need the sun, that way energy cost are minimized. Water can be recirculated using pumps.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 07:49 AM
link   
My suggestion of a Church may provide you with some of your questions to the monetary issues as well as possible property issues .Some assemblies may have the structures in place that can deal with accounting issues and civil codes for temp or permanent structures . Some assemblies may have a range of citizens from political ,accountants and the like . Where you have restrictions ,I am sure your ability to communicate in text can find someone local in the know as to who or where to speed the process . a reply to: undo

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 07:54 AM
link   
a reply to: undo

Why only firemen? They already have their hands full (is the response you may get). Why not appeal to the whole community.? If we want to fix our world we must all take responsibility, not just keep appointing people and hoping for the best.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 08:02 AM
link   
What a great idea!! I have been watching these Urban Farmers. They started out in one neighborhood and was successful, now it is catching on, all over the world.
www.youtube.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink">The urban Farming Guys

So, I think if you start a pilot program in your own neighborhood, it will catch on as it becomes successful. I would start by joining with like minded people in your area. Maybe place ads on Craigslist or the local paper.

The urban farm guys, are teaching skills to the neighborhood, and refurbishing crap buildings in blighted areas, providing food, and housing. It is taking homeless and drug addicts off the streets, the food they grow is feeding the locals. The work they do is amazing. They might be a good resource for information.

Many times they buy horrid properties for $1 and then use the property to teach the community the skills to refurbish the houses. Then they are giving the houses back to the homeless.

Or you might want to join with them, and start a program in your area. Im sure you can modify their approach to work within your vision.

edit on 9-1-2015 by misskat1 because: Bad link

edit on 9-1-2015 by misskat1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 08:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Abednego

opening it to the outside air, however, complicates it as it couldn't be year round and some cities have nasty/windy/cold/wet/hot weather. i'm thinking hydroponic crops with solar panel / photovoltaic energy production. i've seen some interesting systems that incorporate fish ponds with it, the fish water fertilizes the plants while watering them, but then the whole place would smell like a fish farm lol

at first, making it a 2 building construct. one for the vertical farm and one for the mental health/emotional/medical structures. that way we'd have a somewhat less comprehensive expenditure initially, and less chance of something going wrong.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 08:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: the2ofusr1
My suggestion of a Church may provide you with some of your questions to the monetary issues as well as possible property issues .Some assemblies may have the structures in place that can deal with accounting issues and civil codes for temp or permanent structures . Some assemblies may have a range of citizens from political ,accountants and the like . Where you have restrictions ,I am sure your ability to communicate in text can find someone local in the know as to who or where to speed the process . a reply to: undo

yeah, i will talk to the girl i mentioned above and see how she feels about doing that.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 08:16 AM
link   
a reply to: misskat1

that sounds pretty darn cool.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join