It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How 'religious moderates' protect 'religious extremists'

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 10:18 PM
link   
a reply to: InverseLookingGlass

I agree with you and people should take heart to those words. It may save them a world of pain.
edit on 8-1-2015 by LOSTinAMERICA because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 12:08 PM
link   

"It is perfectly absurd for religious moderates to suggest that a rational human being can believe in God simply because this belief makes him happy, relieves his fear of death or gives his life meaning. The absurdity becomes obvious the moment we swap the notion of God for some other consoling proposition: Imagine, for instance, that a man wants to believe that there is a diamond buried somewhere in his yard that is the size of a refrigerator. No doubt it would feel uncommonly good to believe this. Just imagine what would happen if he then followed the example of religious moderates and maintained this belief along pragmatic lines: When asked why he thinks that there is a diamond in his yard that is thousands of times larger than any yet discovered, he says things like, “This belief gives my life meaning,” or “My family and I enjoy digging for it on Sundays,” or “I wouldn’t want to live in a universe where there wasn’t a diamond buried in my backyard that is the size of a refrigerator.” Clearly these responses are inadequate. But they are worse than that. They are the responses of a madman or an idiot."
blog.gaiam.com...

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: woodwardjnr

That makes a whole lotta sense.... a man looking for a diamond is his yard n Sundays related to a belief in a higher being. This is the same garbage used to help prove that one point is more valid than another. Do you see the problem? Atheists are the same as religious people, just a different name. He calls religious people madmen and idiots and makes no points to scientifically disprove the existence of God, so who should i take seriously? a relation to a diamond in my yard or a book written 2000+ years ago?

How about we change the language. the guy with the diamond in his yard is an atheist trying to disprove the existence of a higher being "I don't wanna live in a world that has a God. I need meaning in life to be absent of God in order for me to grow as a person." The man could spend all day long trying to show the religious how stupid they are and still not be 100% sure. Do you see the other side of the coin yet?

The problem is people with line in the sand mentality. I'm right you're wrong and NO we can't be friends because I think you're stupid

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 03:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: JDmOKI
a reply to: HUMBLEONE

sooooo you don't think others beliefs should be respected? I'm confused

listen, you can walk your stupid dogma in my neighborhood anytime, just keep it on a leash, clean up all its turds and keep the barking to a minimum. Thanks.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join