It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Liquid Financial Assets?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Not really sure where to put this.

I live in the US- and I've accumulated a small pile of USD over the last few years, put away for hopefully a purpose when it all comes unglued.

Anyhow, with the US dollar relatively "strong" compared to last year, I'm thinking now is a good time to "invest" some of this cash- since its value is up. I don't think anyone who is paying any attention thinks it's going to stay there.

Problem is, if its value drops sharply, all of the standard investments will drop accordingly. I'm looking for ideas on liquid assets. Preferably something I can store myself, without a whole lot of bulk.

Gold is out- I value it at maybe $100 an ounce, and only in a world where there is industry.
Fuel oil is out- it degrades over time, resale isn't easy, storage is big.
Food is out, has almost no resale as long as the trucks keep running.

So- what makes a good liquid asset?
Guns, ammo, and food are obviously top on the list for a useful bartering item once USD is gone, but until that happens they're effectively a losing investment for me. Can't readily re-sell them around here.

I've been sort of thinking copper- but my research indicates I can't really resell it for what I buy it for unless I'm selling it by the ton. Storage is an issue too, since I'm looking to relocate myself in the coming year.

I'm tempted to throw some cash back into bitcoin- it's had a hard year and with the dollar up, the exchange is about $275 a coin as of this writing.
Unfortunately, even now it could evaporate overnight- so it's hard to imagine putting more than small fraction of my reserve into.

I've been asking around for liquid asset ideas- everyone says gold. It just last night occurred to me that the people of ATS might have a better idea.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

Why is gold out? Once our paper money turns into fire kindling it'll be the only real currency left.

Sure people might trade now and then but we're not going to a barter system IMO.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I would vote for silver. Cheaper than gold and more people would be trading in it as a result. Of course I would only suggest that if you are sufficiently stocked for whatever situation might be coming.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Other precious metals - silver is only $17 an ounce and once fiat currencies $hit the bed it would make sense to have a little bit of this and a little bit of that, am I right?

If I were you I would invest in things to be self-sufficient, water filtration systems, materials to build additional security at your place of living, etc. Perhaps invest in a project such as building a greenhouse where you can grow your own food. That is what I would do if I were in your shoes - unfortunately I'm not but for that reason I hope to be able to begin hoarding the necessary items you mentioned (ammo, food, water, fuel, etc.)

With the state of affairs as they are, I'd say things are going to get pretty crazy in a short matter of time -I'm betting we will see out-of-control deflation in a matter of months

Best of luck to you

reply to: lordcomac

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 12:51 PM
link   
When the US dollar fails, nobody will have any gold- that's why its out. It's all been collected to a select few- and therefore in a barter based system its worthless.

Bullets. Food. Cigs. Fuel.
These are the things actually worth something. Gold only has real value in manufacturing. I'm not exchanging what's effectively, say, a years worth of my savings for an ounce of gold that will later be worth a few pies

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I appreciate the people suggesting real good ideas- water filtration, gardening, etc.
Sadly I'm not in a position for any of these. My plan was to be moving into the woods this coming summer- but thanks to the world we live in I'm at least one full year behind schedule.
Because of that, my food storage is basically a half dozen buckets.

I too am worried that rapid deflation is just over the horizon- but I'm not ready for it to all fall apart yet. I've got basic preparations and a plan to flee- but most of my lifes work is tied up in a building that I can't get rid of until summer of 2016.

My gut tells me that the dollar is worth significantly more today than it will be come spring- which means sitting on it isn't wise...

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 01:21 PM
link   
What about other currencies? If the dollar is "strong" it's got to be strong compared to something else.

Maybe it's time to invest in some canadian dollars :p

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

I'd rather invest in the Yuan, if rumours are true that they are backing it with physical gold and setting the petrodollar to fail.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 04:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac
I appreciate the people suggesting real good ideas- water filtration, gardening, etc.
Sadly I'm not in a position for any of these. My plan was to be moving into the woods this coming summer- but thanks to the world we live in I'm at least one full year behind schedule.
Because of that, my food storage is basically a half dozen buckets.

I too am worried that rapid deflation is just over the horizon- but I'm not ready for it to all fall apart yet. I've got basic preparations and a plan to flee- but most of my lifes work is tied up in a building that I can't get rid of until summer of 2016.

My gut tells me that the dollar is worth significantly more today than it will be come spring- which means sitting on it isn't wise...

When you say small pile of cash you must really mean it! Buying a means of cleaning water should be at the top of your list, unless you just plan on boiling it.
Here's a good brand.
Also, lifestraw makes a good portable one.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Couple thousand USD.
I'm a homeowner- not a rich man

My brother lives on a well- I've got ~50 gallons boiled and sealed in my home, and have a minimum of 80 on hand in the water heater at any given time.
SHTF I'm packing up my food and sealed water and headed his way

Thanks for the link though- I'll take a peek- I really should have *something* on hand, and I'm due to buy some more ammo soon too...

join