It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Theory: We Live In The Past of a Parallel Universe

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 02:16 PM
link   
just as sec.

what about all the halos of 'dark matter' theorized to envelope Galaxies ?

that 'dark matter' might be the result of time-entropy-gravity influences or concentrations which also visibly bent the light from the hidden distant galaxies behind it.... Planets & Stars bend light to a lesser degree so, therefore time-space, entropy, gravity are within our sphere of 'normal or average', i.e. comprehensible to us

but in a larger scale place (like the boundary of a Galaxy and Intergalactic/IntraGalactic Space) we would be dumbfounded, completely lost in a bizarre environment
i'm not too keen on the differences of meanings between inter-and-intra ....
edit on th31142074876508262015 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 02:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan

originally posted by: freedomSlave
I have thought for a long time that the past ,present , future are happening all at the same time

The major world religions state that is what is happening. Everything is actually present to God and in the next dimension everything in this dimension is happening all at once to them there (and we are there too but don't realize it here). At this time, it seems we are stick 'in time' but in actuality we are outside of time and just experiencing something inside of time while we are outside it. We are 'really' elsewhere ... or should I say, we are really somewhere else in time?

It's my understanding that current hypothesis' propose that all of space/time exists in the same construct. We only experience progression through time due to entropy but there is no mathematical restriction that would prohibit events from moving in the opposite direction of the "arrow of time".

Einstein postulated that space and time are fused together, that past, present and future are merely illusions. We experience time a continuous flow but each moment in time could exist simultaneously.

The concept of "NOW" is relative.....

This video explains the concept nicely:

The Fabric of the Cosmos

Skip ahead to about 19:00 to get to the juicy stuff.....

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Clifford stone talks about one of the ets telling him there is a barrier between their dimension and ours. Maybe this is what we're talking about here? a reply to: FlyersFan

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 04:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlySolo
If anyone here can understand this article upon the first read, I want to be your friend :$ I can't.
The author of that article, Lee Billings, is not one of the authors of the paper written by Julian Barbour, Tim Koslowski, and Flavio Mercati. If you can read the paper itself, it's usually better because that goes right to the source instead of someone else's interpretation which may or may not be flawed in some way (I can find examples where science writers have made gross interpretation errors of scientific papers). Billings talks about inflation, and then appears to suggest the new research is somehow a solution to the problems with inflation, however if the authors of the paper believe that to be the case, they failed to mention it because I searched the paper for "inflation" and it's not mentioned in the paper itself, only in one of the references.

For anyone interested in reading the paper as posted to Arxiv, here is the link:

Identification of a gravitational arrow of time

The gist of the concept is in the first part of the abstract:

It is widely believed that special initial conditions must be imposed on any time-symmetric law if its solutions are to exhibit behavior of any kind that defines an ‘arrow of time’. We show that this is not so.

So if it's not "initial conditions", what is it? According to the paper's conclusions:

We conclude that the origin of time’s arrow is not necessarily to be sought in initial conditions but rather in the structure of the law which governs the Universe.
So in summary their paper says time's arrow is the result of a universal law, and not a result of initial conditions. It doesn't say some of the things the article says or implies.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 04:53 PM
link   
a reply to: deadeyedick

Like an egregore? And we manifesting our own reality?

Anyways, whole thread = *mind blown*.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 08:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Soylent Green Is People

"Time flies like an arrow;
fruit flies like a banana"

- attributed to Groucho Marx

But seriously, I sometimes wonder if entropy is what defines time, rather than time being the cause of entropy.

We live in a universe where entropy increases; therefore we experience time moving "forward" with that increase in entropy. But if there was a universe where entropy decreased over time, then time moving "forward" in that universe would actually seem backward to us.

...but it would not be time defining what entropy does, but rather entropy defining how time is perceived. Maybe time is a by-product of entropy, not the other way around.

If we reached maximum entropy we would just be in equilibrium and entropy would mull around, sometimes decreasing and then increasing. Like when you mix 2 liquids in a cup and shake it up, it eventually can't get any more mixed but it doesn't start to reverse and go totally backwards. There is no reason to think the 2nd law of thermodynamics would reverse itself. It's a statistical law so you can always have local violations which eventually add to the entropy. The stats for a full reversal are very zero-like.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 08:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan
A two branched time's arrow and increasing entropy, gravity, and cosmic inflation is part of the discussion of this theory and article discussion. The prospect of this being 'testable' and a provable theory is amazing to me. The barriers between the two branches ... that's what I'd like to know about. Anyways, for those interested in this type of discussion, you may find this article interesting.

Business Insider - New Theory : We Live In The Past Of A Parallel Universe

Part of the article quoted here.

Although the model is crude, and does not incorporate either quantum mechanics or general relativity, its potential implications are vast. If it holds true for our actual universe, then the big bang could no longer be considered a cosmic beginning but rather only a phase in an effectively timeless and eternal universe. More prosaically, a two-branched arrow of time would lead to curious incongruities for observers on opposite sides. “This two-futures situation would exhibit a single, chaotic past in both directions, meaning that there would be essentially two universes, one on either side of this central state,” Barbour says. “If they were complicated enough, both sides could sustain observers who would perceive time going in opposite directions. Any intelligent beings there would define their arrow of time as moving away from this central state. They would think we now live in their deepest past.”

What’s more, Barbour says, if gravitation does prove to be fundamental to the arrow of time, this could sooner or later generate testable predictions and potentially lead to a less “ad hoc” explanation than inflation for the history and structure of our observable universe.

This is not the first rigorous two-futures solution for time’s arrow. Most notably, California Institute of Technology cosmologist Sean Carroll and a graduate student, Jennifer Chen, produced their own branching model in 2004, one that sought to explain the low-entropy origin of time’s arrow in the context of cosmic inflation and the creation of baby universes. They attribute the arrow of time’s emergence in their model not so much to entropy being very low in the past but rather to entropy being so much higher in both futures, increased by the inflation-driven creation of baby universes.
Fascinating stuff
great thread

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 09:20 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

Its a far out theory but then so is Dr Who and Startrek.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 10:34 PM
link   
a reply to: FlySolo

It means, I think, a cyclic universe that goes in two temporal directions at once.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 10:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

There was one theorist who gave the analogy that likened time to a fully-developed, yet static, landscape -- and what we perceive as the passage of time is simply us moving through and experiencing that landscape.

That was Barbour, who's also involved in this work.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 11:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Soylent Green Is People

"Time flies like an arrow;
fruit flies like a banana"

- attributed to Groucho Marx

But seriously, I sometimes wonder if entropy is what defines time, rather than time being the cause of entropy.

We live in a universe where entropy increases; therefore we experience time moving "forward" with that increase in entropy. But if there was a universe where entropy decreased over time, then time moving "forward" in that universe would actually seem backward to us.

...but it would not be time defining what entropy does, but rather entropy defining how time is perceived. Maybe time is a by-product of entropy, not the other way around.

Uh ungh!!! Jesus did it!!!

Jk great find... Don't understand a lick of it and I love this kinda stuff. :p

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 12:01 PM
link   
a reply to: C-JEAN

You are quite close to my thinking !! B-)

And, may I add:

Did not all of us noticed that EVERYTHING is spinning/rotating ??
. . .from the smallest to the largest ?

Sooooo, is that "spinning" generating the "time" ?
. . .or . . .?

Blue skies.

Yes I think so ... The measurement of movement is what we call time ... The big question for me is what causes that movement and what is it's original source.
In 1300 Dante wrote of this in his Divine Comedy
It was a scholarly consideration which is called "The Primum Mobile" or First Movement.
He, Dante ascribed the source to God as he was a Christian
I however tend to think of it as the Creator first becoming concious of being and eventually working upon the matter that already existed ... unfolding the Plan that is the Universe
Though I would like to add that I share Dante;s and others opinions that the stars are the base of the Universe and there exists many realms or dimensions hidden from us ... Certain of these soul realms are transitory but there also exists realms that are Eternal and closely connected with the original source/Creator
edit on 9-1-2015 by artistpoet because: typos

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Can anyone break this down in layman's terms... I just can't visualize this.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I think that we are experiencing simulations that are bad copies of the REAL timeline, that THEY use to try various decisions before using them in the timeline. SORTA LIKE LET'S SEE IF THIS CHOICE BLOWS EVERYTHING UP. OOOPS! TRY AGAIN!

Did any of you watch "Person of Interest" and SAMARITANS run through with the team?

If not, I still have a really bad feeling about those noises coming out of the sky. It be sounding way too much like LANGOLIERS munching up our reality to me. I gots to go! Buh-bye!!!!

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Fantastic find! Great reading. Thanks!

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 05:47 PM
link   
is it possible to figure out whether we are moving forwards or backwards?

That'd be interesting

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 07:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: freedomSlave
I have thought for a long time that the past ,present , future are happening all at the same time

I concur.

I have had that sensations many many times as well as the sensation
that I'm living in the past for some reason.

Rebel 5

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 07:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Necrose
is it possible to figure out whether we are moving forwards or backwards?

That'd be interesting

Einstein who is very often misquoted, for example that
nothing can travel faster than the speed of light which
he never wrote, he wrote that nothing can pass the speed
of light.

However, According to Einstein's equations, particles and such
that are and have always been traveling faster than the speed
of light (what are called Tachyons) could be mathematically
stated to be travelling backwards in time.

So, let's take a positron. A positron is a particle of anti-matter.
Positrons have been observed and do in fact exist, they can be
mathematically explained as a positively charged electron, or
a negatively charged electron (as they naturally are observed)
travelling in reverse time.

Unfortunately, nothing in Einstein's equations give us a clue
of determining if we are travelling backwards in time, or
(theoretical) galaxies of anti-matter.

If a galaxy was travelling backwards in time, they also could not
pass the speed of light and slow down to sub-light speeds, so
each galaxy would perceive time the same way.

It's all relative remember.

rebel 5

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 07:32 PM
link   

The future "universe" (just to use a word for "it")) is the perfect infinite loving light of God who also fills us with his loving spirit and bring light into this world of darkness like prophets, saints, or Holy Beings like Jesus Christ.

This dark universe is just the past, but perfection is the finished work of God. Light is overcoming darkness because Light is Life a sea of stars merging and filling the entire universe.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Philip K. Dick was interested in this kind of thing and believed the universe was a hologram and that it was both 70CE and the present at the same time.
He had many fascinating and profound ideas and visions and experiences

Some are collected here and touch on this very subject.

deoxy.org...

Some examples

The great secret known to Apollonius of Tyana, Paul of Tarsus, Simon Magus, Asklepios, Paracelsus, Boehme and Bruno is that: we are moving backward in time. The universe in fact is contracting into a unitary entity which is completing itself. Decay and disorder are seen by us in reverse, as increasing. These healers learned to move forward in time, which is retrograde to us.

Apollonius of Tyana, writing as Hermes Trismegistos, said "That which is above is that which is below." By this he meant to tell us that our universe is a hologram, but he lacked the term.

The phenomenal world does not exist; it is a hypostasis of the information processed by the Mind.

edit on 9-1-2015 by stargatetravels because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join