It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you really believe US gov can't fix all the social issues, I assure you they can.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Most of us just read read read.

But if we take a break from reading once in a blue moon, we might have some brilliant thoughts.

* United States of America has plenty of brilliant people. You can find them if you look for them.
* United States of America has over half a TRILLION dollars tied up in US military industrial complex.

Do you really believe that all this Brainpower, Manpower and gobs and gobs of money would not be able to solve social issues, medical system, inequality, economy, education, jobs.

Do you really believe that if US government HAD TO, that they wouldn't be able to solve these problems.

So why don't they ?

Not a priority folks

Not a priority

that simple

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 01:01 AM
link   
a reply to: TryAndStopTheFuture555

Take a fat person, or politically correct obese person.

All they gotta do is eliminate dinner, no eating after 6 PM, only water and coffee or better yet some fancy tea.

THAT ALONE will cause 10% loss of their fat.

So why don't they ?

Not a priority.

Priority is to eat and be fat and happy. Who cares about the future.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 01:50 AM
link   
Lmao .. good joke ...

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 03:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: TryAndStopTheFuture555

All they gotta do is eliminate dinner, no eating after 6 PM, only water and coffee or better yet some fancy tea.

So why don't they ?

Not a priority.

As a "cuddly bear" (technical term) I find offence with this! I have to keep my figure to boost my single friends "it factor" when we are out and they are drinking their diet shorts and Im necking another carlin. I am helping the world one thin person at a time!

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 04:02 AM
link   
maybe at some point america could have made the difference, but not anymore.
i guess things changed after 9/11.
If it was directly responsible for the change in american attitude, or if there are other factors it's hard to say.
But today's america is riding on it's former glory, nothing more. the image of a powerful, inventive, and somewhat stubborn country/ people is no more.
Maybe one day america will get back to greatness.
In my humble opinion right now we are in this uber politically correct, over sensitive period, and it will lead to different forms of censorship, and (especially) the young minds will not tolerate it on the long run, and because america is a young country, in an attempt to burst out of this sensitivity bubble, might go back to raising it's voice, but that could take one year or decades, who knows.
You can blame the government all you want, and that's what most of us do anyway.
But if people don't make noise, if they do not show in a CLEAR manner what they want, the government will continue to just feed itself.
If you knew nobody would ever confront you about it, you would steal from shops your whole life.
Since nobody confronts the government, they steal. As much as we like to think of them as semi gods, they are people like all other, so if america doesn't wake up, the government will just continue to eat away your money, and your freedom.
That's what is happening in Italy, especially where i am from, people are tired, and jaded, they don't stand up for anything, so the government is like a black hole, eating up everything.
America has the potential for greatness, you guys just need to pull your heads out of your @sses.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 09:59 AM
link   
In every thread I've seen you post, you seem Hell bent on blaming the government for everything. Ok, let's start with a social issue, the homeless. Let's say, that right now, the govt gave every homeless person a house. I mean, there are plenty of them empty, ready to sell. Where does the money come from to buy them or do they just take them from who ever owns them? Now, do you think the homeless have the funds to run it? Heating, cooling, gas, water, etc... How about repairs? Owning a home is more than just living there. Or do they pay for all that too?
How about jobs? What jobs could the govt start Right Now? Manufacturing? What do we make and to where do we export it? How do the factories get built or re tooled to make those products? Who pays for it all or do they just print more money. Printing a few more trillion couldn't hurt, right?
Inequality? You can make all the laws against it you want, you can not force people to change the way they think.
Education? Should teachers work for free? Or if not, who sets the salary and how much is a good teacher worth? Who sets the standard for a "good" teacher?
You throw blame around a lot. You sound like a very angry young person, who thinks the world isn't "fair" so blame the big bad government. You want someone to blame? Blame the people who sit around whining and don't do anything about it.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 10:01 AM
link   

The main priority of any government is to perpetuate it's self.

That is all.

No amount of external pressure from the citizenry, short of complete destruction, will change that priority.

edit on 1/7/2015 by dezertdog because: added sentence

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 10:18 AM
link   

It is not in the best interest of the political class to fix the problems

If the problems were fixed, they would not be needed, they would not be as powerful
they would have to be honest and therefore not become millionaires within a short
time of being elected to the federal level.

It is that simple:
the political class stand nothing to gain
by fixing problems
and everything to gain
by encouraging suppression
of thought processes

and everything to gain by perpetuating the problems
and presenting themselves as the only ones who can fix things
while never actually fixing things
but in reality scheming ways to make things worse
ie Obamacare
to give themselves more power and more money
The aphrodisiac of the political elite.

Without an entire overhaul
ie revolution
this will only continue

They are training the children through federally run curriculum
to become a perpetual servant class to the political class ideas
one who will never rebel
and will always serve the political elite

So slim chance of a real revolution

edit on 10Wed, 07 Jan 2015 10:20:04 -0600am10701amk073 by grandmakdw because: format

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 10:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
You can make all the laws against it you want, you can not force people to change the way they think.

That's the core of the problem right there. You can throw as much money into 'social issues' as you want, assign as many government busybodies and nannies to study, monitor and implement your plans as you can find, but the one thing you can't do very effectively is change the attitudes, culture, values and beliefs of the citizenry. In fact, trying to force people to conform to certain standards is just going to lead to anger and resentment in some cases, meaning that a powerful central government is actually causing problems by acting in this manner, not solving them.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 11:44 AM
link   

You do know that not everyone is like minded and what may seem like a solution to a problem for one person would make another person upset correct?

While I do agree that the state isn't interested in long term solutions to social problems, you missed the reasons why. The reason the state isn't interested in fixing anything long term is because any real fix will cause massive hardship in the short term. Since humans are inherently short sighted, the public will blame the politicians for their short term woes and not reelect them. In other words, a politician pushing a long term solution is political suicide.
edit on 7-1-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 06:33 PM
link   
You would be advocating for a centrally controlled and planned economy essentially.

Let's take a look at just one item, milk.

When you go to the grocery store, how many different kinds of milk are there - dairy, almond, silk, etc.? How many different brands? How many different sizes of cartoons? What about milk products like heavy cream, buttermilk, half and half?

What is the average milk consumption per person per family? Does it vary by region, by time of year?

How do you adequately account for the supply and demand? Can you adequately account for the supply in demand in such a way so as to ensure that all of your people across all the nation are able to have an adequate supply and varied choice? Can you take into account variability if one family decides it needs more milk from one week to the next?

And that's just one product ... out of all the many things you would be attempting to adequately model and account for across the entire country.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 04:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I like you so much more when you are objective and speak the truth.

Try doing more of that.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 04:51 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

LOL David

In no sense did I imply that YOU are the brilliant person who will solve these problems.

Besides. I don't think you got resources either.

Thanks for contributing David

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 04:55 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

no

I am not talking about micromanaging products end edibles.

I am sorry you didn't get my point and the half TRILLION mentioned in the OP

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 04:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: TryAndStopTheFuture555

So why don't they ?

Not a priority.

So in this day and age of all the worry warts screaming about big brother we have somebody advocating Big Brother dictating how one lives their lives.

Being fat has many contributing factors.

Not just lifestyle choices.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 05:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
In every thread I've seen you post, you seem Hell bent on blaming the government for everything. Ok, let's start with a social issue, the homeless. Let's say, that right now, the govt gave every homeless person a house. I mean, there are plenty of them empty, ready to sell. Where does the money come from to buy them or do they just take them from who ever owns them? Now, do you think the homeless have the funds to run it? Heating, cooling, gas, water, etc... How about repairs? Owning a home is more than just living there. Or do they pay for all that too?
How about jobs? What jobs could the govt start Right Now? Manufacturing? What do we make and to where do we export it? How do the factories get built or re tooled to make those products? Who pays for it all or do they just print more money. Printing a few more trillion couldn't hurt, right?
Inequality? You can make all the laws against it you want, you can not force people to change the way they think.
Education? Should teachers work for free? Or if not, who sets the salary and how much is a good teacher worth? Who sets the standard for a "good" teacher?
You throw blame around a lot. You sound like a very angry young person, who thinks the world isn't "fair" so blame the big bad government. You want someone to blame? Blame the people who sit around whining and don't do anything about it.

do they know who owns the homes??
we gave ours back to the bank over a year ago. they changed the locks on doors over six months ago. it was supposedly auctioned off over a month ago. so why are we still getting notices from the city about the property taxes???
they sliced and diced the mortgages, and broke the chain of ownership. who owns those homes?? how much money has the gov't and fed forked out to clean up this mess?? more than likely the gov't and the fed do since they are the ones who have been buying the fraudulent mortgages and bailing out the banks
so yes the gov't could have done a number on the homeless situation quite easily!
instead of bailing out the banks they could have stepped in to help the homeowners instead.
they could have bought the mortgages at a reduced price and rewritten the terms and even reduced the principles.
this would have cost them LESS money, cleaned up the mess and left the property rights intact along with reducing the cost of living somewhat since after all many of the rental property has a mortgage attached to them also. And it would have prevented some from becoming homeless and probably avoided some of the unemployment.
they could also do something about the student loan program but the won't.
they could raise the minimum wage to something people could live on but they won't.
so well instead of our kids going to college and then good paying jobs and buying homes the are instead either bypassing the college or they are coming out of college with a ton of debt and joining those who opted not to go to begin with behind the counter of the nearby burger king while still living with their parents--you know the ones who many thing should have their retirement and social security funds ripped off next because nothing was done about the scams the banks and investors pulled off and so they are still playing their games and it's about to crash again and that is about the only thing left to raid are the ira's, the retirement funds, our savings and checking accounts!!

where do you think this is heading??
ain't anywhere that's pleasant I assure you!!!

as far as the jobs go I don't think the gov't has learned anything in that area either since they seem to be selling us out more with another trade deal!

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 05:56 AM
link   

not to mention that every problem offers a giant windfall for some buddy of some congressman as they pretend to "fix it"!!!

I bring this little story quite often but I am gonna do it again sorry
back in I believe in the 90's there was an apartment in syracuse that was rented out under the hud program
this 4 br apartment had leaking sewage pipes and was rat invested! we they taxpayers were paying 1,000 dollars so some poor family coulld have the priveledge of living there!
while I was reading about this in my local newspapers we were living in a three bedroom duplex that wasn't infested and there were no leaking plumbing anywhere
matter of fact if we had any problems whatsoever all we had to do was make a phone call and someone would come and it would be taken care of
we were paying around $600
my husband was a journeyman machinist at the time so he was making well over minimum wage and well we weren't on any handouts. we moved out of that apartment when the rent went up to $650, we couldn't see how to fit it into our budget! but we were helping some landlord make over $1000/mo on their rat invested germ generating apartments!

have you ever noticed just how many of the politicians and gov't workers in our area own rental units? I don't know if it's the same all over but in my area there were really quite a few
the duplexes we were in was owned by the sons of a former mayor of our city
we looked at one apartment that was owned by someone in the police dept
we rented one place from a person who was on the city council from a nearby town

they know a good thing when they see it!
while I admit that those programs are a godsend for many people
they also seem to be a great way to ensure that the most favored can make more and more money
businesses are relieved of having to pay their employees a decent wage... just pay them the minimum and refer them to the nearby social services office if they don't like it!
and well those that provide the necessities of life can charge much more when the gov't will pitch in and help their customers pay!!

everybody keeps whining about how the free market and capitalism should be preserved but the truth is that we have neither! used to be that the customers ability to pay could restrain the cost of things but not anymore!!! they can charge whatever and well if your in the right industry is the customer can't pay what you are demanding the gov't will divert money out of the taxpayer's pockets so the customer can or will enable another customer to have the ability to enjoy your goods and services.

as long as the problems exist they can divert more and more money to help their own!
that is why it doesn't get fixed!

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 06:44 AM
link   

I am being objective and speaking the truth. How about actually explaining why I'm wrong instead of using some childish retort?

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 06:49 AM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

The thing is, this country has NEVER had a free market. Government has been giving money to corporations since we were founded. Here, read up on the construction of the first transcontinental railroad.

Crony Capitalism and the Transcontinental Railroads

Plus kicking the can down the road is a time honored institution in this country. That is why it took 70 years for America to address the slavery issue, and we did it in the most violent way possible.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 07:24 AM
link   

that was an interesting read
thank you

join