It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Advice on cold weather gloves.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 06:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Oaktree

Sure here is a picture.
They have liners inside and I have stayed out on the ice all day in minus 30 with these bad boys without a single issue.

Mine are white...thats a google image of the ones I have but just a different color.

edit on 6-1-2015 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 07:18 PM
link   
These are what I use and couldn't be happier.

About $90. I cant keep my fingers warm in ANY gloves, needs to be mits.
www.motorcycle-superstore.com...

I have bad circulation in my hands so I always stick the chemical warmers in for added comfy.
Can be -15f and my hands are always toasty after 1 1/2 hrs blowing snow

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 07:24 PM
link   
a reply to: AK907ICECOLD
Thanks!
Appreciate the input,

As always,

Kitty Paws.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Well I have a pair of gloves that I have used for the last... Jesus, twelve years now. During the colder winters (we have had some pretty warm ones the last two years) it can get down as far as minus seventeen C around here if you add in the windchill effect, and my gloves put up with that very well. They are leather doorman's gloves. And by doorman, what I mean is bouncers gloves. I have never been a bouncer, but a friend of mine "back in the day" offered me a pair for fifteen pounds, which for real leather is a steal at any rate.

These gloves have compartments built into them which contain sand. This adds weight to the glove but also means they can be used to block a knife strike with a higher chance of success. I added a secondary layer to them for the extreme weather, a pair of fingerless, leather riggers gloves with padded palms. I am a locksmith, and I can perform all my work with these gloves on, with minimal effort required to account for the difference in fingertip response and dexterity.

The only thing you have to make sure of, is that when you pull the gloves on, you first massage the sand out of the fingers, and that when you have your hand inside the glove, that you can make a fist without the sand getting in the way of your fist fully closing. That maximises the amount of benefit you get from wearing them in the cold, by ensuring the highest possible degree of dexterity.

I would not have thought it would be at all hard to operate a vehicle while wearing them at all, although I have not tried, because I do not drive yet, though I am learning. The weather has not been cold enough to warrant wearing gloves while driving during one of my lessons yet, so if I get any better info on that, I will let you know. The difficulty with the gloves, is that they have no makers mark on them what so ever, so I cannot recommend a brand to you.
sorry!
edit on 6-1-2015 by TrueBrit because: Added clarifying detail.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Outdoor Research Firebrand mitts or gloves are the best you'll ever own for under $100. Can find them new on EBay for around there. Used by Seals and USMC!

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 08:06 PM
link   
a reply to: DrumsRfun

Right on!
Thanks, Bro.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 08:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: semperfortis
Mast General Store Gloves

Best gloves I have ever worn...

I buy a pair each year..

Those look fantastic!
My old system was a pair of thin polypro glove liners inside wool gloves inside fleece glommit (mittens where the finger section folds back and velcros to the back of it) WIth these you can still access your trigger finger or pack the end of the glommits with insulation.

In seriously cold weather it's best to just keep your hands in your pockets which also keeps your arms close to your body. If it gets too cold pull the arms inside your coat and fold your arms across your chest. Amazing how many people don't know that trick.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Ah! Something I know about!

I'm from Alaska, and an Eagle Scout so let me see what I can do here to help.

Ideally, you're going to want layers. One layer close to the skin that wicks moisture, an insulating layer, and a water-proof breathable layer. I prefer mittens for cold weather, as they keep the fingers together for warmth.

A good pair of base layer gloves like these GI Polypropylene liners:

Can be had for $8.00 on Amazon.

Next, get some insulation with a good pair of wool gloves:

These OR wool gloves have capacitive fingers to allow you to operate touch screens. Amazon has them for about $25.

FInally, put a Goretex of other waterproof/breathable shell over it all. I like OR (Outdoor Research) products, and these Mt. Baker mitten shells go for about $80-$90:

This will give you some flexibility as well. When you need to use your fingers for tying knots or whatever, you can remove the mitten shell and still keep your fingers somewhat warm. Because you are using wool and synthetic, these fabrics will maintain their warmth even when wet. Because you have layers, you can also mix-n-match the three layers for varying temps.

Another advantage of a mitten outer shell is that you can throw one of those chemical hand warmers (the kind you shake) inside. I don't use them very often, but they can come in handy in some situations.

In total, you might spend a bit more than your $100 budget, but you'll be prepared for all kinds of conditions. These are all good quality products and should also last you quite a long time -- in comparison with junky department store mittens/gloves.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Try these.

Best gloves I've ever had.

These are flight gloves I wear while holding a machine gun out of a UH60 going 170 MPH over Afghanistan in the high mountains in winter.

They WILL keep your hands warm.

Some details:

They are Gor-Tex lined. Nomex and goatskin, and have silver weaving for anti-microbial properties. They are also water repellent.

They should last you a long time if you're not doing the crap I do all day in them.

$29.95
edit on pTue, 06 Jan 2015 21:18:22 -060020156America/Chicago2015-01-06T21:18:22-06:0031vx1 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 10:00 PM
link   
a reply to: semperfortis

Mast General Store Gloves

Best gloves I have ever worn...

I buy a pair each year..

I've been looking for gloves lately and these look like just what I've been looking for! lol, Do you get commission for referring people to this General Store because it sounds like I'm not the only one that likes these gloves.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Get gloves skiers wear. They have to be warm and flexible. For extra warmth, wear polypropoline glove liners.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 10:23 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

I never knew that sand could be added to special gloves. I'll bet it always increases the damage when the bouncer hits someone?

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 10:34 PM
link   
When it comes to working outdoors in -30 celsius temps, I wear a pair of good quality real deerskin gloves overtop of a pair of wool gloves. Snowblowing, shovelling, chopping wood, etc etc.

You still have freedom of movement with your fingers (unlike mitts), the deerskin gets better and better with age (it softens and shapes around your hands/fingers), and the wool absorbs moisture and holds in the warmth like nothing else.

As MystikMushroom pointed out, layers are the key.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Northern Outfitters by far makes one of the warmest mittens on the planet. The fur patch on the back of the hand is to wipe your snotty nose on. The mittens are rated to -60F.

Iditarod mushers run Northern Outfitter products. I figure if it's good enough to go 1200 miles in sub-zero temps on the back of a dog sled, 100's of miles from civilization...it's good enough for me!

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 10:57 PM
link   
I like soft leather choppers with separate liners. The liners should be at least fifty percent wool. The high content cotton ones aren't bad either.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 12:47 AM
link   

ProFlex 817WP Thermal Waterproof Utility Gloves. $33 on Amazon. Your hands will never be cold and they're articulated so working with them on is easy. Best winter gloves I've ever owned.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 02:45 AM
link   

Latex gloves? Look up ambitex latex gloves. I do the same thing with two pairs of cheap gloves. They are a bit on the bulky side but I did try my bicycle gloves then latex, then the cheapo gloves.

Just make sure you buy one size that fits your hand comfortably with the latex and outer gloves in a bigger size.

Latex gloves come in packages of 100. But you might get a few free ones from teenagers at subways and burger joints.

Make sure you put the latex in the middle otherwise if it is in the outrr most part it will tear almost instantly.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 04:43 AM
link   
a reply to: WeRpeons

Sadly no commission...

I just love those stores.. They have some super quality gear....

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 04:47 AM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

best glove invention ever that is

I sure needed a pair of them last week to wipe me nose on

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 06:03 AM
link   
I love my surplus inserts. I prefer the black over the traditional green or the grey. The wool on them always seems more fine. They're about $5/pair. I buy two or three pairs a winter. Usually I wind up losing them before they wear out. They do good for northern Michigan winters.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join