It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Controversial DNA Startup Wants To Let Customers Create Creatures

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 10:48 AM
link   
On a more serious note, this thread reminded me of a particular episode of "FullMetal Alchemist". Let me see if I can find an english version for you. Ah, here we are.

Not exactly Genetic Engineering, but close enough. The idea of Human Chimeras always sent shivers down my spine.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Eunuchorn

Is it still ok if they use human dna? Thought not. Hypocrite.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 10:58 AM
link   
put me down for a rancor.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 01:00 PM
link   
This is all going to happen sooner or later. You can either fight it and stay behind the curve. Or try to keep up so you won't be killed by giant chickens and super people.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 01:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: _damon
a reply to: Eunuchorn

Is it still ok if they use human dna? Thought not. Hypocrite.

Thanks for answering for me?

Why would I be opposed to them using human DNA? See, I don't pick & choose my beliefs & stances on a whim or based on some long term conditioned notion of human hegemony.

What's it like to be so passionate about a materialistic slave existence?

Bring on the chimeras indeed, & may they wipe out the pitiful drivel our species has become.
edit on 6-1-2015 by Eunuchorn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Well, this has a positive side, because it could put an end to all the human lives at stake in war. On the other hand, though, it'd make war more appealing, since it'd be easier to win over countries with human armies, while the attackers could have mutants that reflect Iron-Man like abilities. This 'create your own animal' project is obviously going to get out of hand quickly. I'd like a more peaceful advance on science, please ^_^

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: HarbingerOfShadows

Not a bad literary analogy at all!!!

Whereas as a human being I have the power to create life with a partner (and selectively create life, at that, as I feel should be practiced given population and our current ability to sustain life given production, technology, and the limitations of the planet Earth).....

I just don't feel that makes me a qualified decision maker to *alter* a life. To tinker. I am nowhere near knowledgeable, or even close to being knowledgeable about the most base of practices, so as to decide another's fate in such a fashion.

- NF

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Also, did anyone else notice the name of the company?
Cambrian.
As in the Cambrian Explosion?

The Cambrian Period marked a profound change in life on Earth; prior to the Cambrian, living organisms on the whole were small, unicellular and simple; the Precambrian Charnia being exceptional. Complex, multicellular organisms gradually became more common in the millions of years immediately preceding the Cambrian, but it was not until this period that mineralized – hence readily fossilized – organisms became common. The rapid diversification of lifeforms in the Cambrian, known as the Cambrian explosion, produced the first representatives of all modern animal phyla. Phylogenetic analysis has supported the view that during the Cambrian radiation, metazoa (animals) evolved monophyletically from a single common ancestor: flagellated colonial protists similar to modern choanoflagellates.

source
edit on 6-1-2015 by HarbingerOfShadows because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Finally pokemon are going to come true!!!

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 09:40 AM
link   
I read somewhere that the problem with the world is fools are bold and the wise are timid. perfect example right here. all the wrong people will be waist deep in this stuff. and they will be the first to break it, ruin it, turn it into a weapon and an abomination. don't get me wrong, this kind of stuff can be beautiful. living legos - yeah I know im oversimplifying it. but it can teach us all kinds of things about genetics and relationships and responsibility and just give us a better understanding in general of how life works. the question is, how would you safeguard it to prevent the fools from turning it into a nightmare?

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I thought I read about this a year ago, and it wasn't real? Has anyone done any digging into this company and it's claims?

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 10:09 AM
link   
a reply to: karmicecstasy

try to keep up so you won't be killed by giant chickens and super people.

Natural selection.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

There is nothing foolish about weaponization.

Nature does it all the time -- fangs, claws, strength, venom, feminism.

Sentience is conscious evolution.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 10:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: LewsTherinThelamon

I want you to say that while you're being mauled by an Acidic Bearsharkopotanocerous.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 10:36 AM
link   
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

You name the time and place, I'll bring the video camera.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 10:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: LewsTherinThelamon

nature does it in increments. we will do it in leaps and bounds. where nature will arm a frog with toxic flesh, we will arm ourselves with super strength, enhanced vision, limitless stamina, the capacity to breathe underwater. the temptation to rid ourselves of vulnerability will be too much to resist. the temptation to engineer an unbreakable defense comes frighteningly close to the compulsion to build an unstoppable offense. my whole point is that while this project could bring out the best in our species, i fear it will only stimulate the worst.

on a side note, do you think it is possible to engineer viruses that behave like power ups? take a pill and contract the ability to see 5 miles with ease? or take a shot and come down with a case of accelerated healing factor?
edit on 7-1-2015 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 10:53 AM
link   
If they can do this, why is there not velociraptors in cages at some zoo showing it can be done? Surely they can bring back a dead animal as opposed to creating brand new ones. Although I would love a pekingese the size of a newfoundland, with a pekes personality.

On a side note, this sounds like how all "B" Sci-fi movies start.

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 07:47 AM
link   
a reply to: generik

You people are nuts. Genetic engineering is going to be the next big thing - it's currently where computing was in the 70's/80's. Think of being able to plant a seed that grows into a house or stick a bug on an asteroid that #s out refined metals for later retrieval or a dyson tree style structure on a different asteroid that grows into a colony with complete life support and habitable areas or a leviathan-style ship you just have to graft engines, screens, sensors, etc on to. Genetic engineering is going to be #ing huge.

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Let's start with something simple.

We could raise boneless, skinless chickens.

A pig the size of a cow.
Just imagine how much bacon you
could get from one of those...

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Personally, I'd have been happy with some tailored chimerae in my unit.

I'll take a part-chimp engineer for rigging antennas and explosives on structures, and a half-bear to pack the crew served weapons and ammo.

eta: and, of course, you'd need at least SOME armored bear cavalry. Yeah, you're pretty much #ed.
edit on 11-1-2015 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join