It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Students Targeted With Propagandist’s Absurd Film

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Bill to require controversial documentary
in schools gets a House sponsor

An effort to require students in Florida public schools to watch a controversial documentary by conservative pundit Dinesh D'Souza gained ground this week with the support of a state House member.
Rep. Neil Combee, a Lakeland Republican, filed a bill seeking to mandate that all eighth- and 11th-grade students view the film America: Imagine the World Without Her. His legislation is identical to a measure filed by Sen. Alan Hays in November.

Hays, a Umatilla Republican, received heavy criticism that he was foisting propaganda on children when he announced his plan. But legislation in just one chamber doesn't go far.

Its appearance in the House could give it wings, although some key lawmakers have suggested the proposal overreaches by being too prescriptive.

"Not to say the Legislature shouldn't create objectives" for schools, Senate Education Committee Chairman John Legg said. "But how to get there and what to teach to get there is not something the Legislature needs to engage in."

Hays made similar arguments last year when attempting to end the state's role in adopting school textbooks. But in this case, he argued, parents would have control by having the ability to opt out of the showing if they're opposed to the film.

When he first began watching the film, Hays said he was flabbergasted: The narrator "was interviewing those who were espousing what I consider anti-American views."

By the time the documentary ended 105 minutes later, he had a completely different thought.

"I looked at my wife and I said, 'Every student in America needs to see this movie.' " Hays praised its message of American exceptionalism.

In Florida, pieces of legislation — no matter how weighty or trivial — have little chance of adoption without a companion in the opposite chamber. So even while critics vilified Hays' bill, they knew it wouldn't stand on its own.

Combee's bill changes that.
www.tampabay.com...

Now just imagine if Micheal Moor's Sicko or Capitalism A love story was made compulsory viewing by LAW! for 8th graders how many Cons would have babies right there on the spot,heads would explode over at FOX, pundits would cry waaah!,matter of fact this is where I came across the story
This convicted felon get to toy with our kid's minds..sigh!!

edit on 5-1-2015 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 08:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

Propaganda by someone convicted of election finance fraud none the less...

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 08:31 AM
link   
I watched the documentary a while back, it's bad and boring and i remember hearing more than a few one sided arguments, and i kinda hated the historical reenactments, but i always hate those.
To make it mandatory viewing? well unless you counter it with for example the movies you pointed out, then yes, it is brainwashing, it is propaganda. If you make ANY viewpoint mandatory, then you have to make the opposite viewpoint mandatory as well so children are aware of a spectrum of ideas.
On a personal note, i admit to have always made fun of people that decide to home school.
Now, i am starting to think they have just been ahead of the curve.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 08:33 AM
link   
So if Rep. Neil Combee and Sen. Alan Hays have their way, students will be forced - by law - to watch this propaganda? How can you force students to watch a film, by passing a law? That is straight-up Nazism.

Democracy is America is dead.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Government needs to stay out of education. Common Core is bad enough, but straight out propaganda films, by either side, are over the top. I keep a close eye on what my kids are taught and this would have me in the Principals office demanding some explanations. Patriotism is fine. Support the people who make our country great, not the over bearing Big Brother who makes "American" a curse word for the rest of the world.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 08:35 AM
link   
I used to make fun of home-schoolers, too-
but now that I'm older and wiser, I look back on what I was taught in school and would NOT teach my hypothetical kids that nonsense.
Only now they don't, they teach completely different nonsense.

But now the only stay-at-home parents (with some exceptions, of course) are the ones who are too stupid to work. The rest of us are stuck in this system, without time to teach our offspring.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 08:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Blackmarketeer
So if Rep. Neil Combee and Sen. Alan Hays have their way, students will be forced - by law - to watch this propaganda? How can you force students to watch a film, by passing a law? That is straight-up Nazism.

Democracy is America is dead.

That's why I keep saying I can't be with those guys until they change fundamentally ,the Dems have major issues but daayum!! these guy??

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 08:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
Government needs to stay out of education. Common Core is bad enough, but straight out propaganda films, by either side, are over the top. I keep a close eye on what my kids are taught and this would have me in the Principals office demanding some explanations. Patriotism is fine. Support the people who make our country great, not the over bearing Big Brother who makes "American" a curse word for the rest of the world.

Whatever happened to so-called small government a Rep rallying cry.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 08:47 AM
link   
If this does manage to pass congress, expect NObama to be ready with his trusty veto pen. He did say he would not hesitate to veto bad bills.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Without America the ocean currents would be all messed up. But I guess he wasn't talking about the continent not being there, just some dystopian (why does Fireforx want to autocorrect that to "utopian"?) alternate reality where it's just Mexico and Canada. The horror...

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Do we get to make up our minds about it?

But in this case, he argued, parents would have control by having the ability to opt out of the showing if they're opposed to the film.

Well thats good. So why pass a bill, "mandating" it?

Isn't all school curriculum pretty much mandated?
edit on 5-1-2015 by intrptr because: spelling

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 08:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun
If this does manage to pass congress, expect NObama to be ready with his trusty veto pen. He did say he would not hesitate to veto bad bills.

Luckily it's only a state measure, so only Florida's students are subject to the bill.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 09:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879

originally posted by: DAVID64

Whatever happened to so-called small government a Rep rallying cry.

It's always smaller government when it is something the Democrats want not when it is something the Republicans want. If the people who really believed in smaller government would do some research they would find that both sides expand the government and would never vote for either side.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 09:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: IShotMyLastMuse
I watched the documentary a while back, it's bad and boring and i remember hearing more than a few one sided arguments, and i kinda hated the historical reenactments, but i always hate those.
To make it mandatory viewing? well unless you counter it with for example the movies you pointed out, then yes, it is brainwashing, it is propaganda. If you make ANY viewpoint mandatory, then you have to make the opposite viewpoint mandatory as well so children are aware of a spectrum of ideas.
On a personal note, i admit to have always made fun of people that decide to home school.
Now, i am starting to think they have just been ahead of the curve.

Are you suggesting...gulp...teaching children critical thinking skills? How un-American.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 09:09 AM
link   
I watched about half of it a while back I usually enjoy those types of movies but it was so damn boring that I turned it off thinking I would watch the rest later but I never got around to it and erased the thing.

Real boring well that fits with school in a way. What I did watch I remember it made a few fair points although I didn't fact check them so they could be complete BS.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 09:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

Well i am from europe, so you caught me red handed there

I do hope things change in america, it's such a pity, children have almost infinite potential, and to see adults put blinders on them, under the illusion that "they know better" is depressing.
this is how you end up with homophobes, racists, misogynists and misandrists and all that jazz.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 09:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

This is wrong. Mandatory is not how the education system was designed to work.

Now, if a teachers wants to show this?? It rides along with the idiots that have their students watch Al Gores crap.

But mandatory is not the way to go.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I knew I had watched an interview about this book.

How someone as clueless as D'Souza even became popular is amazing. He claims to be so America first but wants to put global poverty before American poverty.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 09:43 AM
link   
What's funny to me is that these guys (and us adults) care more about this video than the kids.

Mandate it- and some tuesday afternoon they'll wheel in the 20" tube and VCR (I imagine this has changed, but hey) and turn off the lights.
The kids will be busy picking their noses, throwing paper airplanes, or using friendface on their smartphones instead of watching the movie.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 09:50 AM
link   
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

The President can't veto State laws.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join