It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Better Vanity

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 07:33 PM
link   
As the saying goes. ..

True nobility does not lie in being superior to others but in being superior to your former self."

In other words - when you know better, you do better.

Is that vanity or education? Or elevation?

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 10:31 PM
link   
a reply to: ImaFungi

I would do all I could to get every stat to 100. Perhaps a cop-out.

But really, for an imaginary man or woman from whom we can add and remove stats, I would put all my stake into the quality of sensuality, and let them loose in the world.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 10:41 PM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

Might they go hand in hand? The priest is pious because he believes someone is always watching him. I believe it was Foucault who made the correlation between society and prisons, the notion that someone is watching is always lingers in the back of our heads. Once we figure out who is actually watching, only refinement helps us to stand the sight of ourselves.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 10:45 PM
link   
a reply to: pl3bscheese

I have not yet referred to wikipedia. I am attempting to speak about human language, behaviour and conduct through my own point of view, perhaps too poorly for you.

Friend; I have had no core pains for quite some time, and I am quite healthy. As I can observe, you have not had any real contact with myself, and this leads me to believe your diagnosis is of your own mind, a projection of sorts. If my advice is of any worth to you, we can not learn from each other if we believe we already know each other. Assumptions made at such a distance, without proximity to any of the observables from which to deduce, only leads to error.

I do care about substance, but if it smells I might just seek a better smelling substance.

What you do know is that I am vain, which I have admitted, that I have discriminating tastes, which I have admitted, and perhaps a strong sense of smell, but you have tried to equate it to narcissism, dishonesty and for some reason a painful core. So how does my vanity, my pride in my appearance and upkeep and conduct, and my desire for cleaner air, mean that I am suffering from narcissism and a painful core?

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 03:46 AM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

I think that the ability to see subjectively is the starting point for vanity, when one looks in the mirror and looks at their clothing and possessions, they are seeing what these items represent to society in general - trends and fashions and categorisations - all based upon appearance. If you are "blind" like me, then you would not really "get it" and would appear very "odd" and see objectively without any complex shades of perceptual awareness - although, appearing "odd" could itself be the next trend. For example, I went out wearing a pair of pants that were about 10 years old and an expensive shirt bought at a discount price, and very expensive shoes - to me, objectively, my clothing was clean and presentable, however, to those that can "see" it would be obvious that I just went thought my wardrobe and slapped together what I could without being fashion conscious. If I were to see the way that they saw, then, perhaps, I too would become as vain as them, however, from my calculations, the ability to see with "vain" eyes is related directly to the level of thought that one expends concerning themselves about the attitudes and behaviours of others (not in the metaphysical sense, but in the actual sense relative to their particular social environment). Thus, "looking at people" causes one to judge and to develop complex systems of perception whereas those whom do not, see things, rather, "black and white". This explains why many non-sociable people tend to avoid eye contact and have not adapted very complex non-verbal expressions - they do not wish to know what others are thinking and neither do they want to communicate their thoughts and sentiments.

From my current study, I believe that even text characters on a screen (such as this) appear radically different to those that are "switched on" - being able to read a lot between the lines, the text even having its own kind of "colour" that highlights the personality of the author. As such, being vain, even the way one types would have to be doctored to maintain whatever characterisation they desire to have.

edit on 6-1-2015 by SystemResistor because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 11:11 AM
link   

As I can observe, you have not had any real contact with myself, and this leads me to believe your diagnosis is of your own mind, a projection of sorts.

You claim the above on a regular basis, it is nothing but deflection. Do you really think that we can't see you?

From my current study, I believe that even text characters on a screen (such as this) appear radically different to those that are "switched on" - being able to read a lot between the lines, the text even having its own kind of "colour" that highlights the personality of the author. As such, being vain, even the way one types would have to be doctored to maintain whatever characterisation they desire to have.

Even if you believe you are inventing a character just for ATS, the character is seen. And with you being so vain you would only be painting what you consider is appearing best for others.
If you want to look good to others you might like to consider not being so condescending or arrogant - do you think that those character traits are attractive?

edit on 6-1-2015 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Itisnowagain

You claim the above on a regular basis, it is nothing but deflection. Do you really think that we can't see you?

If it is deflection, then what do I look like? What is my demeanour and behaviour? How do I interact with the people in my life? Yes I really think you cannot see me, and you are deflecting. You see my words and fill in the rest with your own imagination.

Even if you believe you are inventing a character just for ATS, your real character shines through. And with you being so vain you would only be painting what you consider is appearing best for others.
If you want to look good to others you might like to consider not being so condescending or arrogant - do you think that those traits are attractive?

What real character shines through?

Everyone of your posts in my threads are an attempt to hurt my feelings, itsnowagain. It just doesn’t work, my friend. I have thick skin and I write for the thick-skinned. You are not my intended audience. Find a writer who appeals to your tastes.

You claim peace on a regular basis, and attempt to convey your rhetoric by parroting your youtube gurus, likely because they settle your sentimental emotions. You betray your completely fabricated guru-like air you pretend to give off every time you write in such an accusatory fashion, simply because you do not like the way I write and what I write about. So much for the “peace” you’ve been trying to sell. So much for me being something arising in your movie, when you take time out of your day to start yelling at your screen.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 12:31 PM
link   

How do I interact with the people in my life?

I can only see how you interact with people on ATS. I have no other way of seeing you.
I thought you would welcome some advice on how to look and appear better to others as your thread is about better vanity.
I see arrogance and condescension in the posts written under the name LesMisanthrope - that is how you appear here. If you want to be vain and impress others with your behaviour I for one, would like to see less condescension.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 12:43 PM
link   

I can only see how you interact with people on ATS. I have no other way of seeing you.
I thought you would welcome some advice on how to look and appear better to others as your thread is about better vanity.
I see arrogance and condescension in the posts written under the name LesMisanthrope - that is how you appear here. If you want to be vain and impress others with your behaviour I for one, would like to see less condescension.

You'd prefer to read less condescension. No one but yourself is forcing you to read it.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I really don't mind the condescension, however if you wish to appear good in others eyes, you might not have noticed that you project a little arrogance and come across condescending.
Do you think arrogance and condescension are attractive traits?
I am not trying to hurt you.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 01:00 PM
link   

I really don't mind the condescension, however if you wish to appear good in others eyes, you might not have noticed that you project a little arrogance and come across condescending.

Yes I am quite aware of the personality that follows this avatar around in the heads and minds of others. It is by my design, after all. If I evoke feelings of condescension or arrogance in your imagination, then I apologize, but I would argue your imagination is doing most of the work.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

Yes I am quite aware of the personality that follows this avatar around in the heads and minds of others. It is by my design, after all.

Being vain and all - do you think that arrogance and condescension are attractive traits?

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Being vain and all - do you think that arrogance and condescension are attractive traits?

I've answered this in the OP.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Can you not answer it now afresh?
It would be nice to hear your thoughts.

edit on 6-1-2015 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   

No, they are not attractive, nor do they have any particular benefit.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 04:39 PM
link   
PLEASE...

...keep in mind that members are never the topic and that insulting posts directed at a member are not allowed here.

Thanks so much,

Blaine91555
Forum Mod

Do not reply to this post.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join