It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Great Pyramid Causeway Finally Found.. in Illegal Dig Under House

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 05:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
a reply to: Quetzalcoatl14

The same is true today.

Remember the Buddhas of Bamiyan that were destroyed by the Taliban? Then there's sites like Tell Umm al-Aqarib that were damaged by war in Iraq.

War is particularly bad news for ancient sites and artifacts and so are looters. It's depressing to see something that has survived the ravages of time only to be destroyed by modern man.

A lot of mediterrean countries suffer a huge problem of illegal buildings in the modern times, but in the past ignorance (and ofc real needs) could have simply hidden or destroyed so much. Italy, Cyprus, Crete, Turkey, Lebanon and Greece have surely lost a lot of pottery/artifacts and may have even dismantled entire sites just to build a concrete *****. The valley of temples in sicily is just a famous example of such an area.
Wars and looting is not the only way to destroy our past, ignorance helps a lot and with the 20th century idea of "progress" at the expense of everything else (where progress means money, nothing else) we may have forever lost who knows how much.
It's sad and depressing that such ephemereal benefit is allowed and favoured by most at the expense of something that gets lost forever.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Amazing discovery.
I would love to see what the whole area looked like back in the day. It must have been a sight to behold.
I wouldn't be surprised if the guy is told his house is now a dig site & he has to move somewhere else. I really hope we get to see more of what's down there.

Hopefully there are a lot of other discoveries out there in Egypt, waiting for us to find them.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Thanks for the post. I had read about it somewhere else before this but it was good to read the opinions of others about the find. About the loss and destruction of artifacts that does make me sad wondering how much knowledge has been lost. I just recently finished Ardy Sixkiller Clark's book Sky People and read about how friar Diego de landa burned idols and 27 manuscripts, he destroyed all but 3 maya codices so that little is known about why the maya felt the site of izamal was important. The loss of others history is one thing but when it's the loss of your own people's history by someone who fears it and doesn't understand it is just heartbreaking. Thanks again for the post.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 07:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: jlafleur02

originally posted by: boncho

originally posted by: jlafleur02
How do these things just get buried. Since it was built there has always been people living in that area. Something that massive doesn't just disappear.

The dinosaurs were massive, they were buried. The pyramids in Mexico were massive, they were buried. (A little closer in age as well)

The Yucatan has pyramids massive in size that were totally buried to the point they just looked like hills. Mother nature can do pretty much anything it wants over hundreds and thousands of years.

You can't compare dinosaurs to this. Pyramids are 7000 years old. Do the pyramids in Mexico have a massive causeway that was buried? that area hasn't been inhabited constantly has it. You make no sense. ?

Yeah, which is why I gave other examples...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join