It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ohhh, the horror, OMG, the humanity!!! Ridiculously advertised numbers used as scare tactics...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Here's something that has been annoying the flying F%^$ out of me for some time.

"Tell me, why do thousands of people have to die each year, while others get to sip on their tea? Money and quite possibly eugenics. Controlling the health of a nation is a power to behold. Far too many handouts, not enough responsibility. Many rely on a system without mutual benefit. Just a cycle that repeats itself while they erode back into dust. "

Ok, a quick bit of very very basic math....

let's say 10,000 people died a year from the flu...

10,000 dead / 7,000,000,000 world population

The percentage of the world population impacted? 1.428571428571429e-6

Yepp, a REALLY FREAKING SMALL percentage.

Let's up the anti. Let's say, 250,000 deaths annually, given today's world population.

250,000 dead / 7,000,000,000 world population

Percentage? 3.571428571428571e-5

According to CDC and the University of Minnesota, 2009 was a VERY bad year for the H1N1 influenza virus related deaths wrldwife.

Jun 27, 2012 (CIDRAP News) – Working with admittedly sparse data, a research team led by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has estimated the global death toll from the 2009 H1N1 influenza pandemic at more than 284,000, about 15 times the number of laboratory-confirmed cases.

Wow, only an infinitesimally larger number than I figured with a quarter million deaths.

www.cidrap.umn.edu... 2/06/cdc-estimate-global-h1n1-pandemic-deaths-284000

First Global Estimates of 2009 H1N1 Pandemic Mortality Released by CDC-Led Collaboration

www.cdc.gov...

Here's an interesting tidbit from the World Health Organization (WHO)...

Causes of death: Ischaemic heart disease, stroke, chronic obstructive lung disease and lower respiratory infections have remained the top killers during the past decade. Chronic diseases cause increasing numbers of deaths worldwide. Diabetes caused 1.5 million (2.7%) deaths in 2012, up from 1.0 million (2.0%) deaths in 2000. Lung cancers (along with trachea and bronchus cancers) went up to become the 5th leading cause of death in 2012, killing 1.1 million men and 0.5 million women in 2012. Injuries continue to kill 5 million people each year. Road traffic injuries claimed about 3400 lives each day in 2012, about three-quarters of whom were men and boy

www.who.int...

Ohhh? There's more?

The 10 leading causes of death in the world, 2000 and 2012

Ischaemic heart disease, stroke, lower respiratory infections and chronic obstructive lung disease have remained the top major killers during the past decade. HIV deaths decreased slightly from 1.7 million (3.2%) deaths in 2000 to 1.5 million (2.7%) deaths in 2012. Diarrhoea is no longer among the 5 leading causes of death, but is still among the top 10, killing 1.5 million people in 2012. Chronic diseases cause increasing numbers of deaths worldwide. Lung cancers (along with trachea and bronchus cancers) caused 1.6 million (2.9%) deaths in 2012, up from 1.2 million (2.2%) deaths in 2000. Similarly, diabetes caused 1.5 million (2.7%) deaths in 2012, up from 1.0 million (2.0%) deaths in 2000.

www.who.int...

Hmmm. Should I do the math again for everyone?

How about these neato facts?

The 10 leading causes of death by country income group (2012)

Now, cumulatively speaking, is this a shame? Is this largely due to poor living conditions and income? Is it a case of the wealthy vs the poor? How about the flatout forgotten?

Yes.

Is it something to be all "feel good, let's RACE for a CURE!" ? Is it something that companies who hawk vaccines actively use scare tactics in an effort to make a buck? Is it a means of control?

Yes.

Now, let's look at the HPV virus...

For the past seven years, a drumbeat of publicity and warnings were issued over the virtues of the human papillomavirus, or HPV, and how to thwart its spread before countless women develop cervical cancer. The impetus was FDA approval of Gardasil, the Merck vaccine, for treating girls and women between the ages of 13 and 21.

Income from this vaccine ALONE for Merck for 2011 ...

Gardasil sales were strong last year, hitting $1.6 billion, a 65 percent rise from 2010.

Wow that's a dollar earned for ONE OUT OF SEVEN PERSONS worldwide (using today's population values against a 3 year old sales figure).

Forbes
Do the damned math. Analyze things for yourself.

Think for yourself. If you don't, you'll accept almost anything as "truth".

-NF

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Just to make sure it's understood....

I actively value and promote human life. I believe we all deserve a fighting chance.

I also have an intellect. Don't blow daisies up my butt designed to feel good.

-NF

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 10:02 AM
link   
You do need to do your math again..

10,000 out of 7,000,000,000 people is only 0.0000014285%

Your 1.4% claim would be around 10 million people, I would call that a problem..
edit on 4-1-2015 by Hoosierdaddy71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 10:05 AM
link   
a reply to: nullafides
An ounce of preventative measure will ease the pain of someone in your family dying because of something that could have been prevented. Maybe I'm buying into their propaganda, but, I would never risk my family's lives because of my values. Risk mine? Hell yah. I don't get anything extra without a need. I was vaccinated when I was young and I'm doing okay. A yearly physical and healthy living will get you far.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Im glad i live in Ohio it gets cold enough here a few months out of the year to kill germs God bless the cold sometimes.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Not willing to toss me a comment earlier, eh?

let's say 10,000 people died a year from the flu...

10,000 dead / 7,000,000,000 world population

The percentage of the world population impacted? 1.428571428571429e-6

Yepp, a REALLY FREAKING SMALL percentage.

You basically just made up a number to prove a point here. Ten thousand NEVER die from the flu each year. Hundreds of thousands do. If you named a specific county it would've made more sense.

The truth is, 36,000 people die each year in the US alone and Worldwide there are between 250,000 and 500,000 flu deaths per year. Between three and five million people will have what is considered a serious case of influenza during the flu season. That's either half a million less mouths to feed or half a million less slaves working for you. I guess the weak will die off either way. They keep us alive with meds we think we need until there's nothing left to squeeze out of us. Used up and discarded. Next comes all the funeral bills! /scam

Let's up the anti. Let's say, 250,000 deaths annually, given today's world population.

250,000 dead / 7,000,000,000 world population

Percentage? 3.571428571428571e-5

I believe your decimal point is in the wrong place.

250000 is 0.00357142857143% of 7000000000 - Calculator

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Hmmm. Should I do the math again for everyone?

Please don't!

Do the damned math. Analyze things for yourself.

Certainly!

Think for yourself. If you don't, you'll accept almost anything as "truth".

Like your Mathematics you mean?

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 11:04 AM
link   
7000000000 people will die because of living.
Living should either be cured or made illegal.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 11:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Dumbass

exactly,

illness or not, don't take life to serious non of us get out alive anyway

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Anyone know the point of this thread ? It feels like it's in response to a previous thread I haven't yet read..anyways people die, actually LOTS of people die, each year! Woopdidoo..one day we'll all be a statistic in that category. I'm not sure if I'll ever understand the way people view death..I've never felt more alive than when my adrenalin is pumping and I'm staring possible death in the face, now isn't that ironic ? I find life to be an absolute bore these days precisely because I haven't felt alive in so long, bummer

edit on 4-1-2015 by threeeyesopen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 11:58 AM
link   
A couple of wannabe mathematicians don't understand the concept of e-6. But I'm not a mathematician.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 01:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kukri
A couple of wannabe mathematicians don't understand the concept of e-6. But I'm not a mathematician.

I wanna be a mathemagician! Do I get to learn how to pull numbers out of thin air to make magic?

I actually tried to look up the meaning of it so I wouldn't sound like a fool. But didn't see it.

What does it mean and does it add or take away from what the OP is trying to say?

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 02:11 PM
link   
It's notation. (scroll to 'E Notation')

It basically means move the decimal six places to the left..
edit on 4-1-2015 by Serdgiam because: Link added

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Fear makes people more manageable.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 07:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Serdgiam
It's notation. (scroll to 'E Notation')

It basically means move the decimal six places to the left..

Everyone studied that in high school, seems some have forgotten and that is OK.

But to rail against the OP is just showing you ignorance!

Then many can not seem to get the underlying message being too caught up in trying to catch the OP out on his figures which were preceded by the words

let's say

So many posters do not seem to understand what that means.

P

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 09:26 PM
link   
a reply to: superman2012

Like many here, you race to assumptions rather than actually read my post.

At no point in time to I say anything about not taking preventative measures. Rather, I questioned the emotional reasoning and scare mongering behind the blatant push on high dollar return vaccines.

Feel you're going to fall into the less than .001% ? Fine. Go ahead. Pay into the sucking vortex known as the pharmaceutical income machine.

Personal choices.

-NF

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 09:27 PM
link   
a reply to: sweets777

Coming from Colorado, raised in Alaska, I couldn't agree more.

-NF

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 09:32 PM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis

Way to cherry pick. Congratulations.

I originally stated 10,000 to prove a point. Then, I gave a number rather close to that which the CDC actively stated was the number of deaths for the given year.

Oh, and btw, the maths I did ? Yeah, good old Windows Calculator. Were you not aware of the basic tools available on your computer?

Even if my math was off, are you really attempting to suggest that a 4 in 1000 chance of actually dying from the flu is worthy of succumbing to fear and emotion?

Buy many scratch off lottery tickets?

-NF

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 09:37 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

I'm really conflicted here.

Did you actually read what I wrote with the intention of coming to an understanding of what it was that has been annoying me for years?

And if you believe that the math is off, fine. Say so. But the sentiment still stands. Your chances of actually dying from influenze, contracting HPV without a vaccine, etc, are still ridiculously low.

My point was, and I'll state it again, numbers thrown around are given as half truths. Scary numbers, designed to induce a state of fear. Not given with the appropriate information to make an informed decision.

-NF

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 09:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Dumbass

Couldn't agree more. Especially when the threats posed as something to be concerned with are severely unlikely to happen to you.

-NF

top topics

<<   2 >>

join