It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Senate's 46 Democrats got 20 million more votes than its 54 Republicans

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 02:05 PM
link   
How ironic. Republicans are always claiming that more people support them and that somehow the system gips them, when in fact the truth is completely opposite. What a surprise.

www.vox.com...

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 02:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: CB328
How ironic. Republicans are always claiming that more people support them and that somehow the system gips them, when in fact the truth is completely opposite. What a surprise.

www.vox.com...

Ummm.... that is probably because Democrats tend to be concentrated in major urban areas with more dense populations. Guess you've never seen the map with the center of the country solid red while the coasts are blue. The founding fathers purposely set up our system so majorities could not necessarily over ride the minority which is why we are a Republic and not a Democracy. Democracy is just mob rule.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 02:22 PM
link   

www.vox.com...

Just proves more liberals are densely packed into suburban areas. They can only vote where they live, they cannot extend their influence of mob mentality over the rest of the country. This is a democratic Republic, not a mob rules straight democracy.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: CB328

Yes, from your source:

This doesn't mean that the Republican majority is illegitimate or anything like that. Indeed, after 2008 and 2012, the tables were turned: Democrats had more Senate seats than their vote share suggested they should.

It means smaller states get disproportional weighting in the Senate to offset their lack of representation in the House.

It's how the system was designed so that there is a balance of power and interests served.

It's worked, believe it or not.
edit on 3-1-2015 by Jamie1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 03:04 PM
link   
I am well aware of how it works, I am just disputing the conservative claims we always hear that that most people support them when obviously they are not.

I like the way you guys insult the American people and undermining their constitutional rights so that you can maintain your barbarian strongholds.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   
What I'd like to know is why this congress which has had a 14% approval rating since the 2010 midterms was voted in again in 2014? Borh Republican and Democrat. Makes no sense to me.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Which constitutional rights are you referring to?

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 03:14 PM
link   

I am well aware of how it works, I am just disputing the conservative claims we always hear that that most people support them when obviously they are not.

I like the way you guys insult the American people and undermining their constitutional rights so that you can maintain your barbarian strongholds.

Can you show some credible examples of these so-called "conservative claims"?

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I think what the OP is suggesting is highly dense populated cities that are mainly made up of Government Employees, Unions and a large percentage on subsistence vote Democrat.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 03:22 PM
link   
In my state the gerrymandering is working well. Nothing like creating extremely odd shaped districts to ensure a certain party wins.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 03:24 PM
link   
a reply to: TinfoilTP

That's the key. Cities are usually dem and the rest of the country is usually red.

NYC's a perfect example, except they somehow managed to destroy the entire state as well.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 03:25 PM
link   

WTF are you talking about? Who are you referring to as "you guys?"

What Constitutional rights are you talking about?

I'm guessing the conservative claims refer to high level, core principals, like less bureaucracy, less government intrusion, err on the side of freedom, protect our borders... stuff like that.

Few people protest so they can be more regulated, have less freedom, and have more government intrusion.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 03:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Southern Guardian
What I'd like to know is why this congress which has had a 14% approval rating since the 2010 midterms was voted in again in 2014? Borh Republican and Democrat. Makes no sense to me.

Because on the local levels it's an old boys network that picks the candidates that are running, and because anybody who is competent is going to be working in the private sector and would have to be an idiot to run for congress.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 03:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
In my state the gerrymandering is working well. Nothing like creating extremely odd shaped districts to ensure a certain party wins.

Congressional Districts are set by population.

Not easy to get the geographic Golden Ratios.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 04:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

You are not familiar with the technique. Draw the lines to assure the majority.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 04:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

You are not familiar with the technique. Draw the lines to assure the majority.

Sure I am.

But you should show maybe 10 or 15 examples of what you are talking about.

Then other people can see.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 04:49 PM
link   

This doesn't mean that the Republican majority is illegitimate or anything like that. Indeed, after 2008 and 2012, the tables were turned: Democrats had more Senate seats than their vote share suggested they should. The problem isn't that the deck is stacked in favor of Republicans. The problem is that the deck is stacked in favor of small states, which receive equal representation in the Senate despite dramatic variance in population. The Senate is a profoundly anti-democratic body and should be abolished.

from your link......so they want to aboilish the say of small population states (read republican) so that the coasts can then decide whats best for the nation? pretty sure this is exactly why we have checks and balances.also of note from the quote its not "illegitimate" they just dont like that pretty much the bulk of the interior of the USA is firmly republican .

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 05:07 PM
link   
WOW!
+20M more votes for Senate Democrats, eh?
Hey,....HERE's a fun fact:

Number of Government Employees in the US
How many government employees are there in the US?

www.numberof.net...

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 02:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
WOW!
+20M more votes for Senate Democrats, eh?
Hey,....HERE's a fun fact:

Number of Government Employees in the US
How many government employees are there in the US?

www.numberof.net...

Lol, you found em out.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join