It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Affordable vs. Cheap: Firearm Ownership on a Budget

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 07:54 AM
link   
I want to chime in on the "Avoid a cheap gun" thing.

I bought a Kel Tec PF9. $300. New in box. Nice little gun, seems to have a following, fit nice in hand, extremely light weight, easy to conceal.

That POS never shot through an entire mag once without some sort of misfeed.

I traded it in on a Glock 19 and never looked back.

What purpose does a cheap and unreliable gun serve? You can't shoot it at the range, it's no fun there because it won't work consistently.

You can't carry it and rely on it to protect your life - what if it misfeeds? How can you trust it?

A cheap gun isn't worth any price even if it's free.

And glocks aren't cheap, I know that. I bought one because it has a well earned reputation for always working and I didn't want to mess around with anything but the best. I learned my lesson, luckily not the hard way.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I must dispute your slur against HiPoint Sir. I've found them to be very affordable pistols that are reliable.
They aren't fancy or easy on the eye, but they get the job done.

This one I'm about to show you is a striker-fired pistol, it has a safety that works and is on par with a glock for shooting.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

Great post, S&F...

The only thing I'd like to add regarding the AR vs. AK platform is this - in a SHTF/bugout situation, you can carry more .223/5.56 than 7.62 comparatively. Better said, the same amount of ammo in AR caliber is going to be much lighter and easier to pack/carry than the same amount in AK 7.62. It's the only major benefit to the AR platform.

projectvxn, you also might want to consider (if you haven't already) a post on quality budget optics.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Living in NY I was somewhat limited on selection.
I wanted an M1A but was told by my local shop they wouldn't handle the purchase. It had those evil accessories like a threaded barrel.

I ended up getting a Ruger mini30. It fires 7.62x39. I love it, as long as I use quality brass in it. If I use any of the cheap stuff it tends to jam.

One draw back to keep it legal in NY is I am limited to 5 round clips.
I added an accu strut to get my groupings more acceptable.

It is not a tack driver but at 300yds any aggressive 'deer' approaching my property wont make it.
If the 'deer' happens do get in the house unannounced I have a pistol grip 18" Mossberg pump 12ga.

The mini I got about 3 months ago for $900. The Mossberg about 18 years ago for $300 if I remember right.
I love them both.
Great thread, Thanks

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 09:09 AM
link   
a reply to: CommandoJoe
Joe,

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 09:13 AM
link   
a reply to: CommandoJoe
The vz58 is a great gun!
What many people don't know about it is its a full pound lighter with loaded 30 round magazine than a stamped AK!! oh and IT has a milled receiver! Also the magazines are lighter, it's much more lefty friendly, and JMHO but to me it feels like it has less recoil!!

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 10:34 AM
link   
a reply to: roguetechie

The CAI C39 AK has been pretty extensively tested over the last few years.

That's my next purchase. I can find them for less than $700.
edit on pTue, 06 Jan 2015 15:06:42 -060020156America/Chicago2015-01-06T15:06:42-06:0031vx1 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 10:02 AM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn
I like the centurion very much. But you know me and my compulsive tinkering lol. I recently bought one of the US made AK kits which is going to be a test bed for several projects. But mostly been working with the vz52 rifle and my mas49.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join