It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can't get my emergency radio to work. Help?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 10:21 AM
link   
I really hate posting question threads, I'm sorry >_<

For Christmas, I got my first emergency radio. Its an Eton FRX4;

I've read all the directions in the manual and for some reason, I just can't get the radio to come in. I can change the time and set an alarm, I can charge it via the crank and the solar panels on the back, and I've turned the volume up all the way. Nobody is answering on the technical support hotline, and googling the problem didn't help, so here I am.

I've extended the antenna and everything. I'm getting no broadcasts, no static, nothing whatsoever. I can't figure out what the problem could be.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks ATS

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Does the radio have a signal strength meter and if so does it rise and fall as frequencies are changed? Or, does the display have a stereo icon that illuminates when a strong FM signal is tuned?
If not, there is probably something internal on the circuit board.

If you do have indications of the radio receiving with no audio, first check the earphone/headphone female plug to see if it is making connections (plug in a earphone/buds to see if you then hear something.)
If you do, connections to the speaker are missing (usually at the earphone female connector).

I'm assuming (I know, I know) that you have inserted fresh fully charged cells and that the wind-up charger is nominally working.

Try these first and then post back if that fails...

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 10:58 AM
link   
I downloaded the manual for the radio and read it, I see it has no squelch, because normally it is the squelch that is turned too high.

Have you tried pressing the reset-button?

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Do you have the AAA batteries put in, in addition to the lithium one?
a manual I found online

a reply to: XxNightAngelusxX

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 12:35 PM
link   
only for emergency use!

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Its an emergency radio> Aren''t they tuned to a station that doesn't broadcast unless theres an emergency?

In old days on CB radios channel 9 was "clear" of traffic unless there was an emergency. Or like pagers of old, in wait mode, waiting for a signal to activate.

Furhter: I see anniquity has solved the problem. Form his link…

SETTING WEATHERBAND ALERTTune to WB for your location and press and hold theBAND button. 'Alert' will appear in the display and theaudio will turn off. The radio will continue to monitor your WB station and will activate the audio if an alert is issued. Press the band button again to turn off the Alert.

Note: NOAA does a test alert every Wednesday between 10 am and noon,regardless of your location. For more information please go to:www.nws.noaa.gov...

Cool manuals library, thanks for the link…

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 01:07 PM
link   
'Alert' will appear in the display and the audio will turn off. The radio will continue to monitor your WB station and will activate the audio if an alert is issued. Press the band button again to turn off the Alert

you can wait until NOAA does a test alert every Wednesday between 10 am and noon

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: XxNightAngelusxX

Hi I have found Eton radios to not be very good. They are poorly made and to be honest good radios start right around $300.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 11:25 AM
link   
You've all been fantastic, thank you so much for your input!

I used a combination of everyone's advice here, and now I'm getting the signal and the audio, and I have the option to switch to fm radio. For some reason, it keeps turning itself off. I think I have a really crappy signal out here, I can't think of any other explanation, but at least now I know it works. Thanks again everyone!

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Hi I have found Eton radios to not be very good. They are poorly made and to be honest good radios start right around $300.

What? Mine works great, got it for $30 from beprepared.com. Even charges my cell phone.

new topics

top topics

join