It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Second Greatest Commandment

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

All people have souls and all should be regarded as those who have them. For this reason we should love other people as we love ourselves.

The idea of what this love is has been misconstrued. Jesus thundered and lashed those in the temple who were selling and making profit out of usury. Since the Pharisees had been bribed, the money changers were allowed to do so. Jesus did not hate these people, but he did not smile, wave, and walk past them either.

So it seems to me to be perfectly fine to love a sinner in a different way than a saint. For if I were to be in the darkness of sin I would want someone to shake me and force me to stop ignoring the voice of my conscience. Thus it is well to do for sinners as I would for myself, shake them, and hearken their ears to the voice of their conscience. Otherwise, to leave them be would be to let them die.

Thus I call such love of one who loves unwisely and complacently 'false compassion'. These who hold this doctrine are made drunk with the spirit of a lie.

I treat others the way I would want to be treated and loved. I listen earnestly, I speak wisely, and I act justly to the best of my capability. Because if I am were in sin I would want to be reproached; I would want to be told to repent. I do not want someone to tell me that the Lord loves me just the same no matter what I do, that is license to do evil, and that doctrine is handed out everywhere.

I can now see the hailstorm of scoffing, but I say so anyway without any doubt.

So when you think of love, do not be unwise and liberally ignorant, act justly and do as Jesus would do.

Peace to all of you.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 08:29 PM
link   
a reply to: backcase

And my husband is very much like this about how Jesus was too. And I do understand also. Yet, also, I must add, I was once one of those "sinners" and most would have walked right past me. I was not beyond help, but I needed to understand to BE helped.

If that makes sense, so I treat everyone like they were me back then simply because I am not Jesus to know who may become changed later. I spent my life being stomped on, only three people in my life thought it was not good to do any stomping on me, Jesus was one of them, my husband the other.

As to the rest, all they have is this life. I am not taking their short happiness from them. If this is all they want, so long as they don't hurt mine, I don't figure I have a problem, unless or until they hurt mine.
edit on 31-12-2014 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Since this was clearly directed at me... I will offer my retort

T'will be brief, since I do know forgiveness I will also not linger with this attempt at yet another silly fight with me...

Consider what Jesus said carefully

Then read over your remarks in a previous encounter with myself

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 08:30 PM
link   
a reply to: OpinionatedB

well I wouldn't hurt anyone intentionally. I will open a wound to heal it though, and that is where pain comes in.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 08:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

The last thing I want is a fight akragon, but this is more so people may be made aware of your doctrine and its flaws.

LOL don't flatter yourself

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 08:33 PM
link   

That is what most people in my life thought too. Yet, it was the one's who didn't hurt me who I saw God and Jesus in.

I think the one's closest to Jesus are the only ones who can say what they think is right. For me, it is not right to hurt anyone, but only reach out in kindness and love.
edit on 31-12-2014 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Everyone knows that the second greatest commandment is found in Deuteronomy 21:11.

"if you notice among the captives a beautiful woman and are attracted to her, you may take her as your wife."

And of course, that is second only to Leviticus 22:24.

"You must not offer to the LORD an animal whose testicles are bruised, crushed, torn or cut. You must not do this in your own land."

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 08:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: backcase
a reply to: Akragon

The last thing I want is a fight akragon, but this is more so people may be made aware of your doctrine and its flaws.

LOL don't flatter yourself

I make it quite public... and just as before, you are looking for a fight...

But see, I stick to my beliefs... You just flaunt them as a cloak...

Love your neighbour as yourself eh...

And you call me a BS artist... ha!

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 08:38 PM
link   

I get upset when people pat me on the back for wrong behavior. I have been listening to a woman lately who is kind and also just and I am learning much in her wisdom.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 08:43 PM
link   

The only thing that I would scoff at is the bit about forcing you to stop ignoring your conscience....

The conscience has to be trained, it is not to be trusted simply because it is your conscience - it doesn't know what is actually good or bad - it just knows what you think is good or bad.

You know how the saying goes: "How do you sleep at night?"... they probably sleep well if their conscience is telling them they did something that was "good. "

But other than that... yeah I agree about reproof but not reproof of those who are not Christians - we are not to judge outside of the church - we do not judge heathens.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 08:43 PM
link   

I haven't learned that yet.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 08:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Bleeeeep

I think that the conscience is like something unchangeable, and that people can ignore it or listen to what it says. To those who say that their conscience tells them that evil deeds are fine, I say that they have not examined their conscience.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 08:45 PM
link   

This makes sense to me. Correction and reproof is for the church. Not everyone.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 08:47 PM
link   

well God is better than I am, listen to the Spirit of God before you go by my word as I have different circumstances in life than you.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 08:48 PM
link   

this is true. Your calling is different than mine.

As a side note:

1 Corinthians 5:12

For what have I to do with judging outsiders? Is it not those inside the church whom you are to judge?

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 08:50 PM
link   

And what of people that oppose the church? You must defend what God build that it may not be torn asunder. Remember when Paul made that guy blind for a while in the Acts?

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Sounds like a thread where I could get in trouble if I say something Witty. Have a happy New Year.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 08:56 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

I was actually reading some of your old posts today from my earlier threads... weird.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 09:01 PM
link   

I know how you feel, I used to think the same way.

read this:
www.askyourpreacher.org...

And really just think about it... think about how you have felt remorse for something that you have done in the past but at the time that you did it you had no voice telling you no and no remorse until way later... it is because you didn't think it was bad at the time.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 09:12 PM
link   

That makes sense actually. I find it good to have a nightly meditation to examine my conscience, and I do so with the help of God so that I may not go easy on myself. I pray to God and ask Him to humble me. What more can I do?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join