It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CIA Official Tweet Takes Credit for 50's and 60's UFO Sightings

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   
There are people here that believe what the CIA (and/or any US Gov affiliate) says?? Danger, danger Will Robinson!!
Woah, haaha

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 11:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: hounddoghowlie

CIA Claims the U2 Was Responsible for All or Most of 1950's and 1960's UFO Sightings

Please add to the discussion already in progress at the link above. Thank you. Thread closed.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Don't let the percentages fool you.

As a few have said in this thread, most of us agree 95% - 98% of the sightings back in the 60's, 70's, 80's, etc... were explainable and a large percentage of those were likely experimental/secret military craft.

It's also well known that AFOSI (Air Force Office of Special Investigations) used these sightings to their advantage by playing them up to people whose belief systems were more than willing to take on the ET story and were trying to gain a reputation in the UFO "field" for monetary gain (Rick Doty being the most obvious AFOSI member and Linda Moulton Howe being his most obvious target).

The issue I've always had with this narrative is the sheer number of sightings the 2% - 5% that can't be explained represents. It's in the thousands. Hundreds of those were "investigated" to the extent I would consider the limit of the investigative organization's ability with the data and resources they had and were left unresolved. That's a pretty big deal considering the organization doing the investigating was given pretty much whatever they needed from our good old Uncle Sam.

So, where does this report being released leave us?

Right where we've been for 40+ years, waiting for real data and scratching our heads in wonder... I'd add that it's my opinion that the intel folks are just as befuddled as the rest of us when it comes to the infamous 2% - 5%. That's why I've never bought into the "Disclosure" movement.

Speaking of "Disclosure", I think we just witnessed it, this report is all the "disclosure" of genuine knowledge we're going to get because it's all the governments have. They know (and have admitted yet again) they played up the ET meme to hide their new toys and I believe that's all they genuinely know.

Don't get me wrong, I'd bet there's data and reports they aren't releasing for one security reason or another that we'd love to see. I'd further bet some of those reports might contain stories of amazing sightings, technical speculation, and maybe even some mind boggling photos and video, but I absolutely do not believe there is any more understanding of, much less contact with, whatever phenomena is causing the unresolved sightings and bizarre occurrences all over the world.

admin note: Due to the multidimensional aspects of this story (military secret weapons and the CIA / Ufology and the CIA) we've decided to allow the thread in the Military Forum and this thread in UFOs to exist simultaneously so those with specific interests can discuss the different aspects.
edit on 12-31-2014 by Springer because: added admin note

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

I thought this claim by the CIA was settled some time ago. Forget what some official says in a Tweet. Consider the facts. The U-2 aircraft were built in very few numbers. Its total flight hours was/is very limited as compared to about any other aircraft. They were made and used for specific tasks most of which on genuine mission were in places other than over US airspace. Lastly, the operational ceiling for the U-2 is out of eyesight. One could fly a mission across the whole of the US and never be observed except when it was climbing out or descending to base. Given that it was ever seen at any altitude, its extremely wingspace would clearly show it to be an aircraft and not the round shape of a typical UFO. Basically, it is hogwash, a whitewash in reality, for anyone to claim that the U-2 was mistaken for a UFO.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 01:02 PM
link   
O so that where all the Gold went to producing those fiery Hellhound's, I mean it couldn't use black gold, to filthy, crude and un-pure to create such a beauty.

I mean cleanliness is close to godliness. Ain't that the old royal saying.
edit on 31-12-2014 by Specimen because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 01:14 PM
link   
The C.I.A.'s --- opening? --- tweet deserves a classic Doublespeak Award to the halls of spookdom.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 01:16 PM
link   
I think in some cases, some places, certain planes or craft could indeed be CIA. However, unless we have been in space longer then history says, and unless we have space craft with greater capability then we know of today; such as those with 90 degree turn capability and earth to orbit capability (without rockets attached.) and of course a ship which can go from horizon to horizon in just seconds. A ship which can dock in seconds, release and circle the main ship and then fly off from the main ship in moments (Meaning no complicated docking or distance countdowns) and then the main ship fly away into space after another smaller ship came over the other horizon from the other direction and docked..... Yes...then it could have been us.
I saw this, it was in the mid 60's, we were suppose be as a race just learning how to dock in space ourselves, that is as far as what we know as regular people.......this and those objects were not of this world.
I know our nation and others were experimenting with lasers and illusions on secret bases throughout the world, but I don't know when those programs were or whether they put on shows like this. I know illusion technology is much more advanced today......thus sightings are much harder to discern.
Are we being visited.....yes
but everything visiting this earth has had something to do with this earth since it has been an earth, much longer then human memory.
The liars, the insecure fantasy brewers and the cheat masters of our time are those who keep us from real and full knowledge.
Yes I feel bitter towards the secret keepers, but I also understand there is nothing I can do.
I join with your voices, I say to all......Tell the truth....share the wonder....don't be led....let us discern as individuals and assimilate knowledge from the floors of the ocean to the universe above, beneath and within.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Springer
The issue I've always had with this narrative is the sheer number of sightings the 2% - 5% that can't be explained represents. It's in the thousands.

Exactly my thoughts.

Sure, most of the sightings can be explained. But that leaves a whole lot that can't be.

My personal experience ... I've seen three. Their shapes and movements are impossible to explain. They weren't natural and there is absolutely nothing that humans can even come close to that can move or look like what I saw.

The CIA 'taking credit' for a large chunk is no surprise. I have no doubt that a whole lot are human made and are our military testing all sorts of stuff.

But two of the three I saw were mid day ... in the sunlight ... in shapes and with movement that aren't possible for us yet. And if it were the military, they wouldn't have been testing these over the mid day sunlight of Madison Alabama (typical cigar shape) and Wilmington Delaware (typical saucer shape and strange angles of flight ... probably 200 feet up).

The third I saw was 40 years ago over Connecticut ... a night sighting .. typical triangular shape hovered and pretty much disappeared.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 01:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: JadeStar

originally posted by: CirqueDeTruth
Well then I want to know...

What the hell is the CIA doing all over South America? The new UFO hotspots. Huh?

CdT

Are you kidding? The CIA was all over Central and South America then. The Cold War is often thought as one between the US and USSR but it was a world war in that the US and Soviet Union spied on each other as well as their proxies.

Back in the 1960s a lot of South American countries were part of the non-aligned movement.

It would not shock me if the CIA flew over these countries either with the U2 or drones (and they probably had them way back then, remember the secret stuff is usually 30 years more advanced than what is in the open world).

Drone helicopters can do plenty of UFO-like movements. No aliens required. It also would make sense why these objects would be lit at night, to avoid being hit by air traffic.

Why would extraterrestrials need running lights? Answer: They wouldn't.

Logic then says, most of that stuff would be government.

I speculate that ET's "running lights" are a fuel source for a photon propulsion unit onboard a starship that lacks access to starlight photons --- It's also an excellent form of camouflage --- not too mention having the fiery plasma [surrounding the starship] being able to clear-out obstructed landing zones and for running offensive/defensive OP's.
edit on 31-12-2014 by Erno86 because: added a word

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 01:48 PM
link   
And here I thought I wasn't going to see disclosure in my lifetime.

Not bad, CIA, not bad.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: funbox
a reply to: JadeStar

present past , how could you tell?

what I want to know is when your going to get a diagonal, for the poor person in your av, the one with a stiff neck and good knee's

seasons best wishes to you , peeps

funbox

best wishes to you in 2015 as well funbox.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 02:42 PM
link   

having seen three myself

I saw 2 (one sighting) at Shirley's Bay in Ontario,Canada.(my buddy and i almost crapped ourselves lol)
Ironically,it was also the site of where project magnet happened which was conducted by Wilbur Smith.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Ah, yes of course, the old U-2 spy plane again. That 20 million dollar spy plane that everyone and their grandmother could see from the ground...

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Looks like the alphabet agency just had a brain fart.

Lol. Seriously?

Seriously? ?? You are responsible for most if not ALL ufo sightings? Seriously? ?

*DOUBLE FACEPALM*

None of the proposed vehicles can stop mid air after travelling above mach 10.. then hover..then shoot off in the opposite direction.

What about the massive variety of vehicles. . Cigar shaped, pyramid shaped etc etc etc.

STOP WITH THE BS YOU BUNCH OF .....

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Interestingly this is still likely going on with the Triangle UFO sightings....

Remember the A-12 "Flying Dorito"?

It was supposedly cancelled however...

Some allege it actually has been further developed and is a secret plane called the F-119 with a much larger version of the A-12 called the AX-12 being a high speed troop carrier with EC (Electro-Chromatic) panels for optical, daytime stealth:

And then there is this from plane spotter Steve Douglass.... Mystery Aircraft Photographed Over Texas It seems like a new formerly classified aircraft is about to be revealed.

Excerpt:

On February 21, I posted this radio intercept to my Facebook group of aviation photographers:

"It's frustrating when you monitor something very interesting in your vehicle - but the scanner at home didn't catch it or record it. At approximately 2:39 PM, as I was driving down to pick my grandkids up from school (down in Canyon,Texas ) I heard this conversation on 321.100 MHz on the scanner in my vehicle.
BTW - pardon the language. I'm quoting.

"That's what I'd call an oh-ficial UFO. Unusual-#ing Object. What's it's designation?"
"Can't say over the radio."
"Weirdest #ing airplane I've ever seen."
"Hey - who's the boomer?"
"Mike Sinclair. Why?"
"I thought I recognized that ugly mug. Is he on the frequency?"
[pause]
"Should be- if he ain't we are in big trouble."
"Hey Mike - what do you think of this #ing thing - ain't it the fugliest thing yet?"
"How'd you rate that? Who's in the back seat?"
"I'd rather not say ... SIGNAL Begins to fade ..... UNINTELLIGIBLE."
"No, we will be your tanker all week ..."

While this was going on - I witnessed two aircraft flying to the west in approximately the same position our mystery aircraft would come from a few weeks later.

Could this have been our mystery aircraft on their way west?

Other questions remain.

Some may ask why they would fly it in broad daylight over Texas? Why wouldn't they use encrypted radio frequencies?

I've always been of the opinion, if they don't want you to see something, you won't.

There is also this from Aviation Week and Space Technology: Mystery Aircraft Over Texas

s far as I know, this sort of thing has happened only once since 1956.

That was when British magazines started getting eyewitness accounts and grainy photos of the Lockheed U-2, then operating out of RAF Lakenheath on its first spy flights over the Soviet Union. Classified programs have been exposed in all sorts of ways since then - for example, the A-12 Blackbird was disclosed under a degree of pressure - but until the RQ-170 Sentinel was seen at Kandahar in 2007-09 there has been no such aircraft photographed before it was declassified. (And in the case of the RQ-170, the operational security people were not trying too hard.)

With that in mind, let's look at the photos taken by Steve Douglass and Dean Muskett of an aircraft seen over Amarillo on March 10.

Three of us here - myself, Graham Warwick and Guy Norris - concur that the photos show something real. Guy and I have known Steve Douglass for a long time, and know that the reason that he sees (and monitors by radio) unusual things is that he spends time looking for them. Here is Steve's account of one of his better radio intercepts. This is more than a random image.

So yes, they have used UFO sightings to cover up secret black budget aircraft/spacecraft before, they're probably doing it now and will do it again.
edit on 31-12-2014 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 03:41 PM
link   
So they just admitted that there are UFO's, they want us NOT to believe in them for some reason? We know the real deal.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 04:36 PM
link   

So U2 spy planes flew in formation while flashing multi-colored lights, turned at 90 degree angles, stopped without slowing down at insane speeds too?

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 04:37 PM
link   
a reply to: JadeStar

I remember reading about the EC panels in AIAA monthly "Aerospace America" a few years ago. They are reportedly very good (high resolution) and it's claimed that from a few hundred feet you'd never see the seams/joints between the panels. Think of an LED billboard (ala Times Square building facades) that is only mms thick and utterly flexible.

Imagine what you could make something look like with a few hundred square feet of that stuff on the bottom (ground facing) and sides of the fuselage.

I've also been told they're playing with this stuff on the side of warships and freighters. Imagine a pirate boat thinking they're looking at USN Frigate, they'd probably move on.

WRT the images you posted, I have to agree with the guy who took the pics, we don't see anything "they" don't want us to see.

@Those who think the CIA is only talking about the U2, they're not. When Rick Doty was playing his games they were covering up the Stealth Bomber and Fighter that Lockheed's Skunkworks was test flying all over Nevada and a little over the High Desert in So. Cal.

I was friends with an S.W. engineer who gave me a copy of the same photo of the F-117 the newspapers and TV News folks got about 5 hours before the official press conference. I showed the picture to my then business partner and he refused to believe it was man made (he said it had to be an alien craft because nothing shaped like that could fly in our atmosphere unless it had anti-gravity propulsion) until he saw it on the news that afternoon. He still thought it was alien technology for years after that.

Ahhh, the good old bad days. LOL

edit on 12-31-2014 by Springer because: added quotes

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Why would extraterrestrials need running lights? Answer: They wouldn't.

Logic then says, most of that stuff would be government.

Unless the intent was to be seen and noticed.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I think it's great that they want to take responsibility for most of what people saw in the 50's and 60's but I also thought (as well as others on this thread) they already did that. It's plausible but what's next? The 40's and back further, 70's til now...? The battle of LA in 1942 where we would have been shooting at our own aircraft? Right...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join