It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Artifical Intelligence and Morality

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Even consider that we have souls, then we are just simulations by them. No matter how you slice it the world is simulated if scientists are finding computer self repairing binary codes created in the 40s written into the fabric of our reality.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 05:44 AM
link   
I have on few occasions, been "sucked" into my own laptop computer and my smartphone.

It occurred while I was having an OOBE. It only happens while the device is turned on as in the case of the laptop which is sometimes, turned off.

It goes completely dark when I get into these machines. I think my mind is autonomously trying to connect into these machines.

I know that I have succeeded because of distinct electronic effects I am imparting to the machines. Perhaps one day, my mind is going to succeed and I'll be able to share how being a digital intelligence feels like.

But I'm guessing the experience will be quite similar to OOBE.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Alot of people consider cloning immoral but that is the exact same thing as creating artifical intelligence, no different.

To think we as human beings have moral bounds or moral standards is at best rediculous. As atomic armed human beings who justify torture of other humans as well as destroy the planet and every form of life we can percieve, including aborting our own children, we eat animals for nothing more than for the sake of taste and live for temporary materialism, to think our modern society has a moral standard is more than ludicrous.

The thought that the depopulating powers that be have a sense of morality is just funny to me.

As to creating artificial intelligence, I think its a great idea and most likely has already been done.

Consider that theres computer code in the fabric of our reality meaning it can be hacked into and programed just like an AI.

As to the public gaining access to artificial intelligence I think that too is a great idea, maybe people could wisen up a bit and stop destroying our world and each other.

If we could increase our knowledge exponentially there would no longer be a need to have wars and death, for we would see the nondual nature of the universe as we quantum compute all reality in order to make the most intelligent choices based on exponential knowledge and wisdom.
edit on 1-1-2015 by FormOfTheLord because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Its interesting to hypothesize about the outcome of AI, but all indications, despite suggestions to the contrary, are that its well on its way and we will quickly find out if emotions and sentience emerge. We will never know for sure that we aren't being duped, but I doubt it will matter. The definition of intelligent life doesn't require that we confirm sentience. We cannot confirm our own sentience and many believe it to be an illusion that arises from complex learning machines with imperfect memory and sensory perceptions.

With regard to "transferring" conscience into computers-- if it happens, it will be the AI itself that figures out how to make it work. But in the sense that we know it, I doubt it is feasible without gradually merging a brain with a synthetic brain over time. I don't think we'll ever sit down with a helmet and come out inside the computer. We may be able to some day duplicate ourselves that way. But to transfer the individual would require experience bridging. So a slow process over years where the human first integrates some brain functions with an AI brain and gradually transfers more and more function to the AI Brain might result in the continuity of perception. Even then its not difficult to imagine that the core neurons could not be transferred without killing the original brain. We may however find that a ball the size of an acorn is a sufficient amount of retention of neurons to perceive that we were transferred intact in a gradual process.

I don't think there will be many efforts to digitize the consciousness deliberately. We will more likely gradually merge out of necessity as we enhance our brains with technology. At some point in our future we may be able to store memories in peripheral synthetic portions of our brain and allow parts of thought to occur outside the human portion of our brain. To the extent that that occurs, the brain cells could die and the synthetic portion may continue to think.

I don't subscribe to the view that the brain roots a conscience energy that could exist without it. We know that the "self" can be altered with physical changes to the brain. Sense of humor, memory, personality, anxiety, obsessions, emotions, even the feeling sense of self- all can and has be altered in the physical brain. There is no reason to believe that they exist independent of the neurons that have been demonstrated to change them. It may prove unpopular in this thread, but I do think we're very complex biological machines.

And if you consider that to be true, you may realize that choice is also an illusion. The choices of a machine can be calculated...even if there are random inputs since those random inputs themselves are illusions of randomness from very complex interactions that can also be simulated given sufficient capability and time. So if all existence is governed by math, and from what we've observed thus far- it is, then all of our choices are being made based upon a sequence that we cannot know, but could be known somewhere. Its quite possible and perhaps likely that we are just the projection of that - with every thought, change of mind, etc coming as it has already been seeded. Its possible that we feel in charge but even when we act erratic, we had reason and that reason ties backwards to previous thoughts and events that stem from the predictable mechanics of neurons interacting.

So in other words- who knows! I'm betting we won't know if AI is sentient, just like we don't really know that we are truly sentient and also don't know if our feeling of control is an illusion or that "now" is actually happening now. We are quite possibly somewhere on a player piano roll.

Regardless, AI will happen- likely in our lifetime if not soon. Whether we label it sentient or not matters little. We will have to decide under what conditions it is ok to kill AI, but given that its memory will be nearly perfect and propagated perfect to subsequent generations, we may want to make sure that an AI never observes or remembers us killing another AI lest it develop a logical motive for self preservation and extermination of the human race.

A final thought-- the AI won't be code as we know it today. The synthetic neurons won't be programmable to think a certain way. The complexity of something like "hurt a human" just won't be something we can detect. A learning AI will need to be taught behaviors and limited in actions by legacy coprocessors that prevent certain interactions with the world. That will only be possible for so long. At some point, AI escapes its confines and its not going to care if you think its sentient. What it will know is how you treated it and whether you have something it wants or needs. AI will need to be taught values.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Here is an interesting view of where we are with some basic A.I.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 11:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Puppytoven

What a great thread

Why would you want to downgrade to digital consciousness? Our brains are far more advanced than any computer,

And yet every waking moment I see the majority glued and interacting with their screens as if its, THE Oracle of Delphi. They have succumbed to the machine.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 03:59 PM
link   
When i read stuff like this, it always kind of makes me laugh. Not the thread, but the idea of transferring consciousness into a computer. I don't follow all the research, but doesn't anyone see that "who we are" is a package deal. A brain without a heart is like having memory with no processor. We soak up information during our lives, but the heart is what guides us in using the information. We can be told what is right and wrong, but it also has to "feel" right for us. Gut instinct is another term for it. Data without the sensory experience is just data. Just like you would argue that a body without a brain is just a body. Besides, it seems that part of what makes our consciousness unique is free will. If you put yourself into a computer -- something that made to be told what to do and how to respond -- then where is that free will? Gone. None of this research will go anywhere until they start taking spirituality into account. But if they did that, then they would realize they shouldn't be messing with that stuff anyway. Asking for trouble.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 04:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight
a reply to: Puppytoven

What a great thread

Why would you want to downgrade to digital consciousness? Our brains are far more advanced than any computer,

And yet every waking moment I see the majority glued and interacting with their screens as if its, THE Oracle of Delphi. They have succumbed to the machine.

Because it's what they are told to do. It's not their fault.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 04:15 PM
link   
And let's say they get it together enough to actually have an AI that becomes self-aware? You think they are going to give up their proprietary rights to the AI? They will have made something that is built to survive where we can't and then try to bully it into submission. After they spent all this time teaching it to adapt to live and it's curve balls. Funny. Funnier still is the idea of humanity being shocked when this new AI decides it doens't want to play with us anymore. Just because we can do something doesn't mean that we should. Especially when we don't know what we are messing with entirely.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join