It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ebola case confirmed in Glasgow

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 01:00 PM
link   

A healthcare worker who recently returned from West Africa has been diagnosed with Ebola and is being treated in hospital in Glasgow.

The Scottish government confirmed the patient was at Glasgow's Gartnavel Hospital.

Ebola case confirmed in Glasgow

Wonder if anyone on her flight has been contacted.

The UK had been expecting a few cases by Christmas and this is the first confirmed case.

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a reply to: flammadraco

Well, I suppose of all the places in Britain to drop someone with Ebola, I would say Glasgow has to be one of the best possible locations. I say that only because at this time of year it gets cold as all hell up there, and I can only see that being a good thing for keeping the blight contained within its current host, since Ebola is a disease which typically effects the more equatorial regions, and therefore is perhaps less hardened against the harsher extremes of cold.

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 01:20 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Unfortunatly that's not the case. It does better in the cold. Heat and UV light kill it off quickly. In lab experiments at 4*C (49*F) it lasted up to 50 days
Survival outside of the host

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: MDpvc

What about at minus four?

Just curious to know, is it viable in those conditions, still transmissable for example? Still active? Or does it go into some kind of cellular stasis during a cold snap?

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 01:40 PM
link   

I agree with the Temperture point you make.

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Close the Border !! ... Oh wait

Luckily we (the UK) have top shelf health services so I don't feel the need to worry.

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: flammadraco

Well, I have my doubts now, about the usefulness of my point of view here. I may well be misinformed about this particular disease, and it may have survival capabilities of which I was unaware. That is why I asked for clarifications from MDpvc, to find out!

Don't hang up your HAZMAT suit on my account!

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Why do they let the health workers come back on a plane and freely just do what they want . They should not be allowed near anyone for at least a month our government ar stupid playing with our lives .

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Great, Just Great. If this worker was a Zombie you would shoot em. in fact, If someone said they were going away to work with zombies you would say... good, dont come fn back.

I cant believe there has been no quarantine measures set in place. That's a plane load of people + whoever got on the same plane behind them and everyone else this person has come into contact with who could be infected because i'm 100% sure the person with Ebola/Zombieitis didn't fly wearing a hazmat suit.

This is how pandemics get a foothold.

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: joshdeb

Well, that is not entirely accurate, although I would say that there should definitely be quarantine, automatically for everyone who comes back from West Africa, for a week longer than the maximum period that the disease can be in a persons system before becoming symptomatic. I would suggest disused airforce bases would be perfect for this purpose.

The reality though is, that this individual cannot have been contagious, because she was not showing symptomology until the point at which she called her case in. What little I do undertand of the virus, is that when there are no actual symptoms, there is no viable threat of contagion passing from the individual in question, to others.

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Posted earlier here
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion in the above linked thread.
Thanks

**Thread Closed**

new topics

top topics

join