It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Half of All Children Will Be Autistic by 2025, Warns Senior Research Scientist at MIT (title)

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 09:34 AM
link   
I am slightly offended by parts of this thread.

You do all realise that DIAGNOSIS of autism is what has increased, not just the disorder.

And this notion that we are doomed if we all end up autistic? Again I think people are misunderstanding the disorder.

Autism is NOT a learning disability as one poster suggested.

Autism is a neurological disorder. We call it neuro diversity. I have met autistic people who can do things neuro typicals can't. I support autistic people through university and into highly skilled technical jobs that the majority of people here could never ever do. They are very valuable members of a rapidly evolving society.

As our world becomes increasingly technical and we become reliant on people to program, build and maintain these technologies, we see that humans are evolving with it and people with autism have a valuable role here. The majority of people I meet with autism are genuine geniuses when it comes to technology.

In our social world which is becoming increasingly remote, our communications and connections are carried out via technology... an autistic person is at home in this world. Social interaction is what they struggle with most (due to sensory impairment), unless it done via technology.

I am of course generalising but believe me I have worked and researched in autism for over ten years and the people with autism that I have met along the way have given me faith in humanity and our future.

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 09:40 AM
link   
a reply to: daftpink

I deal with the low end of autism (low is low functioning) and I think it can be classed as a learning disability but of course it depends from each individual.
Some of my dudes are on a different plane of existence than us, some on the high end of the scale do not communicate and "see" the world through different senses than us, some use touch for example as their primary way around the world.
I agree it was only in 1991 when people could be tested for it hence the rise of people with the condition.
But lets not forget they have the same rights as you or me and we strive to give every opportunity which they can manage.
Oh and I agree Autism can lead to the most warm hearted souls I have ever met.
edit on 29-12-2014 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 09:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: StoutBroux
a reply to: 727Sky

Glyphosate is an herbicide. It is applied to the leaves of plants to kill both broadleaf plants and grasses. The sodium salt form of glyphosate is used to regulate plant growth and ripen fruit.

A herbicide is a kind of biocide. Round Up was created to kill living organisms. If you feel it is completely safe go ahead pour a shot of it for yourself to celebrate your ignorance.

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 10:14 AM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

In my field people with autism can also have a diagnosis of a learning disability as these are two separate things. Obviously the people I support to university are on the high functioning scale of autism. I also work with people on the low end of the scale who struggle with social communication and stimuli but have savant-like abilities that are an inspiration to all around them.

I have been lucky enough to study and research autism and be taught by those leading the field in the UK and it is a well known misconception that autism has dramatically increased. Diagnosis is what has increased coupled with people's understanding of the condition. Only 30 years ago people with autism were shut away in institutions and called 'retarded'.

Now we know different.

But for the argument about how our environment, chemical consumption etc has CAUSED autism, i have to disagree to an extent since autism has existed before some of these chemicals existed in our food streams. If people are going down that road then you should include everything from cancer to cerebral palsy. There is an argument that a less toxic world will breed less toxic humans but its about knowing which is simply due to mother nature's hand and which is due to our toxic poisoning of the planet.

Remember that life began by mutation... mutation is how we evolve.
edit on 29/12/2014 by daftpink because: typo

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 10:16 AM
link   
A herbicide is a kind of biocide. Round Up was created to kill living organisms. Small dose exposure over time in humans yields some form of toxicity anyway you play it.

Also, is this study limited to human milk or does it extend to dairy? Factory farming does use low grade feed with its fair share of pesticides. I remember watching a documentary on dairy use in China as a strong link to cancers there.
edit on 12292014 by kushness because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 10:19 AM
link   
a reply to: daftpink

I would love five mins in some of our service users heads.
We have one lady who is 56 and she up until a few years back was in a terrible place, the staff stole her money left her in her own poo.....grrr but thankfully she is in a placenow what cares for her and we love her.
Ah man seeing her listen to Bob Marley at the xmas eve party...brought a tear to my eye.

Keep up the good work dude and keep fighting for those peoples rights!!

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 10:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: kushness

A herbicide is a kind of biocide. Round Up was created to kill living organisms. If you feel it is completely safe go ahead pour a shot of it for yourself to celebrate your ignorance.

Most likely a McDonald Hamburger is worst for you... You eat chocolate, but it will kill your dog, so I guess it is a biocide too...

The problem is there is no conclusive evidence suggesting that glyphosate has any negative effect on the environment or people. All the so called studies use "might", "could", "is possibly", "associated with", and so on as they get down to the causality of the study. So I guess the anti-GMO crowd needs to do real studies to support their claims, or just get over it.

BTW, an example of a statement from these groups that describe GMO as "terminator vegetables that the body can not assimilate" does not help in their cause either.

edit on 29-12-2014 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Autism is a business. Theres a large amount of people who need to keep creating autism variations so they can develop treatments and products.

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 11:52 AM
link   
yeah the future belongs to autistic kids! What kind of garbage thought process is that? If human beings were meant to be autistic we would think like an autistic person. That's like saying the future belongs to down syndrome people or homosexuals. It's all so perfectly normal!!!!! Don't take my comments as rude and insensitive. People who are different deserve the rights, freedoms, and chance at a normal life any other person deserves. But to say autistcs are going to run the world and lead the way is silly and shows some of you know nothing about the disease or the human brain.

Where are the studies showing the rates of autism between breast fed and non breast fed babies? Where are the studies showing rates of autism in vaccinated and unvaccinated kids? Why are there more boys than girls with autism?

There is a lot more research that needs to be done. One thing I've uncovered in my research is the dramatic impact something as simple as maternal stress and anxiety can have on a developing brain in uterine. America is one of the most stressed out, unhappiest, overworked, anxious societies on earth. We also happen to have the most heavily vaccinated child and infant populations in all of the globe. Our food and water has always been polluted and there has always been toxins kids and babies are exposed to. Absestos, lead, herbicides, etc. If autism can supposedly be healed or improved with "gut therapy" there is a strong immune system link to the disease. Kids immune systems are junk nowadays. A mess of short circuitry! But so are most mothers. The heavy vaccinations started 20+ years ago . All those parents who were kids are now having kids and what do you know! Autism etc . Is on the rise. It may not even be vaccinating kids and babies causing it, it could be the parents eg. MOTHERS who's blood stream is filled with adjuvants like heavy metals aluminum, Mercury and other things from not only their childhood vaccines but adult vaccines as well. Yes we know the anti-vaxers are just crazy unscientific whack jobs who's kids are putting everyone else at risk!!!!
Glyphosate isn't old enough to have infected every organism, animal, and river, stream,etc to be responsible for the immediate rise in autism. Also it's used extensively in other countries. If it's not glyphosate or vaccines it must be something else. But most of the time it's not academia that figures these things out. It's grassroot protest and controversy!

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   
And the appeal to authority in this thread and on a website like this is disgusting. Erin Brockovich didn't have a degree from MIT and she did more for local communities dealing with toxic water than any egg head researcher could have done. Academia especially places like MIT are where things like glyphosate are developed. And they are funded by the same corporations that will manipulate any type of research done at that level as well. You don't need a PhD from MIT to see the destruction of our food supply and the difference between regukations in China and ours. Nobody ever talks about everything made in China. 99% of all the crap mothers and babies use is made in China and third world countries. All the APIs used to make all the pills and medicines we ingest come from India and China. China has some of the worst regulated industries in the world. They have been caught putting melamine in babies milk for crying out loud.
edit on 29-12-2014 by MiddleClassWhiteBoy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: darkwarrior

Autism is a business. Theres a large amount of people who need to keep creating autism variations so they can develop treatments and products.

Yep! The medical industry is based on this type of dynamic. Billions of dollars are spent managing sickness instead of eliminating it.

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: darkwarrior

It is a business. But tell a room full of autistic people (high functioning and low functioning like the kids I volunteer with) and they'll tell you, the symptoms are real. The effects on them and those around them cannot be denied.

One poster above said autistic people can do jobs that neurotypical people can't. IMO it's true, in some cases. I've known low functioning autistic kids who were so shy they could barely look you in the eye (as a high functioning aut I have a lot of trouble maintaining eye contact so I know how it is) and yet they were mathematical geniuses, seekers of order out of chaos, they could solve problems and grasp concepts the other kids take a week to figure out.

IMO, our communication skills are our greatest weakness.

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   
What about something as simple as soy? Soy is literally in EVERYTHING! And it might explain the higher rates in boys???? Who knows!

Also look at all the toxins and crap women slather on their skin in the form of make up? What about all that hair dye and coloring women do? You've gotta look at common denominators that effect a majority of women in America. Especially upper income households. A lot more women in America get their hair , nails, and are using more make up than ever before. Sounds silly but have you ever followed your wife into a nail salon? You can barely breathe the toxic stench is so bad. But something so silly and trivial probably has no effect on our health! Riiiiiighhht! Why then does America have the highest rates? Glyphosate? Hardly!
edit on 29-12-2014 by MiddleClassWhiteBoy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 12:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

..."terminator vegetables"...

'Terminator' as in 'Hey, buddy. You got a dead cat in there, or what?' Terminator?

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: MiddleClassWhiteBoy

Who knows what it is. Maybe something we used 100 years ago affected the genetics down the line? Maybe it's all the sitting, lack of sunshine, bad food, sugars, salts, we use?

So many factors and people should not have to be affected by this.

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 12:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Yeahkeepwatchingme
a reply to: MiddleClassWhiteBoy

Who knows what it is. Maybe something we used 100 years ago affected the genetics down the line? Maybe it's all the sitting, lack of sunshine, bad food, sugars, salts, we use?

So many factors and people should not have to be affected by this.

Why more boys than girls? Maybe it's a way for the 0.1% to do away with most males so they can have a society dominated by women who are usually more compliant, can be used for breeding and as sex slaves. Crazy!

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 12:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: kushness

Most likely a McDonald Hamburger is worst for you... You eat chocolate, but it will kill your dog, so I guess it is a biocide too...

Just proved my point. Dark chocolate will kill your dog when he eats a sufficient amount required to be a lethal dose. Roundup will kill a human just as quickly when enough is ingested. It says poison right on the bottle. If the stuff is in our food supply even in minor doses it is going to build up in your body since you have to eat to survive. While it may not kill you right away it will lead to all sorts of detrimental side effects. If a dog eats a little bit of dark chocolate daily he won't die as quick but the side effects of the toxic substance will manifest in the form of disease or sickness. How is this not getting through?

As for proof, yes its out there. You might not hear about it too often because it is not as profitable as JayZ and Beyonce's baby Blue Ivy so the media won't even touch it. Here is the first site that comes up on Google when you type in "glyphosate mice study." Lots of good info there if you really wanted to be more aware on the subject.

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 01:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

..."terminator vegetables"...

'Terminator' as in 'Hey, buddy. You got a dead cat in there, or what?' Terminator?

lol as in

I'm assuming since it is not my quote...

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 01:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: MiddleClassWhiteBoy
yeah the future belongs to autistic kids! What kind of garbage thought process is that? If human beings were meant to be autistic we would think like an autistic person. That's like saying the future belongs to down syndrome people or homosexuals. It's all so perfectly normal!!!!! Don't take my comments as rude and insensitive. People who are different deserve the rights, freedoms, and chance at a normal life any other person deserves. But to say autistcs are going to run the world and lead the way is silly and shows some of you know nothing about the disease or the human brain.

Autism isn't a disease it's a neurological disorder present from birth. It's similar to dyslexia and other neuro diverse conditions. Diagnosis of autism is increasing that's why it appears there is a dramatic increase.

People had autism 100 years ago before we started playing with chemicals.

Just as we are diverse physically as in shape, size and colour so are our brains.

While I agree that our messed up diet and need to put chemicals and stress into our bodies can affect the forming brains of children in the womb, it can't be accounted to all cases of autism.

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 01:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion

Is that whats wrong with everybody?

No - just the libs.

Seriously, though - this doesn't explain my autistic son who wasn't breast-fed.

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join