It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NLBS #28: Detoxing Cleanses Don't Do Anything For You

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+15 more 
posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 05:59 PM
link   
After a long flu-induced hiatus, we're finally back with a new episode about the hype and BS surrounding the pseudo-science of detoxing cleanses. You know, those seven or fifteen day regimens of usually foul-tasting juice concoctions and limited calories, typically promoted by self-absorbed hipsters. We uncover the deception going on with the purveyors of this silliness, and show you how your body actually gets rid of toxins. This is truly a first-world non-problem, thought up by people with nothing better to do than obsess about their narcissism.

Watch in HD on www.TheNLBS.com

Share this video. Tell your friends. Spread the Next Level BS!

Follow Next Level BS on Twitter @theNLBS

Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Go to the website: www.theNLBS.com

And get NLBS t-shirts and swag thenlbs.spreadshirt.com

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 06:07 PM
link   
a reply to: theNLBS

edit on 22-12-2014 by jacygirl because: nevermind

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Is excess fat considered toxic?

What about bad bacteria?

Are you considering bad bacteria toxic?

What about being very acidic, is that toxic?
edit on 12/22/2014 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 06:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion

Is excess fat considered toxic?

That's a different set of health concerns. Though if you want to consider "fasting" as a part of the "detoxing" and as a weight loss tool it doesn't work. Though I am under the impression, certain "toxins" are stored in fats.

What about bad bacteria?

Are you considering bad bacteria toxic?

Your body has mechanisms in place to already combat bacteria. I just went through said process without help of antibiotics.

What about being very acidic, is that toxic?

Like heartburn? Change your diet.
edit on 22-12-2014 by theNLBS because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Can you really change your gut flora?

or is that a myth?

If so, how long does that take?

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 06:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
Can you really change your gut flora?

or is that a myth?

If so, how long does that take?

You can change your gut flora in a very short time with dietary changes.
Article

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 06:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: theNLBS
After a long flu-induced hiatus

A good cleanse might have boosted your immune system enough to quickly fight that off, Joe.

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Well I need to detox now after the cursing !

The swear counter nice touch.

Live how you want. Eat what you want I say.

And I have never gotten the flu shot.

Why would anyone intentionally infect themselves with the flu I ask.

That's what that shot does.

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 06:53 PM
link   

"You can't negate all of your bad choices in 7 days"

That's not true.

You can do a lot to keep the gall bladder tuned-up with "gall-bladder flushes", with demonstrable results: just put "gall-bladder flush" in Google Images to get a look.

Otherwise you are correct. The bull# about directly cleansing the liver and being able to "cleanse" the pineal gland at all is especially pernicious.

The biggest threat posed by toxins on the internet is the toxins that build up from holding in sarcastic comments. Those toxins are killing me. Little by little.

edit on 22-12-2014 by Bybyots because: . : .

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 07:04 PM
link   
The scam is in the word "cleanse". It is very subjective and open to interpretation. Usually, most herbs focus on a specific area, but the nutrition companies like to flex it a little and say it "may" also do this and that.

There are no clear defined results in any conventional or natural medicine. Lot's of chance and fooling the body takes place for both.

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Why do I keep seeing these threads pop up from an OP who has obviously NO knowledge of Biology, Anatomy, Nutrition, Endocrine systems, digestive systems, "toxicity"...or any related area of health?

Getting tired of this.
edit on 22-12-2014 by BatheInTheFountain because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 07:11 PM
link   

I'd also say your "plant heavy" new diet is probably the wrong choice for someone with high cholesterol, uric acid, and overweight issues. Atkins, my friend! lowcarbdiets.about.com... Science!

If you track America's obesity epidemic, you'll find that there are two major components
1. Processed food
2. The rise of low fat fad diets

As to the cleanse question itself, I'm unsold either way. It makes sense to me that a cleanse is an excellent way to begin a new diet. It definitely resets your inner "feed me" clock and menu and makes the actual dieting process a lot easier. It also drops pounds quite efficiently (proven by the fact that those same "snake oil juices" are what hospitals feed morbidly obese patients who are placed on liquid crash diets.) I do agree that it is a waste of money, however, to buy the cleanse and then turn right around afterward and resume drinking unfiltered tap water, living in any major city, eating any food you yourself didn't prepare (not to mention preferably kill and process), etc. No reason to throw good money after bad...

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 07:14 PM
link   
While I agree that the overpriced "miracle detox" elixers are scams by greedy hucksters, I would argue that you can
"detox" your body to a large degree. The term "detox" itself means different things to people. The purveyors of the
fad detox formulas don't even mention what dreaded toxins their cleanses are supposed to be removing from your body.

If you consume a plant-based diet and drink fresh vegetable juices, you can totally change your physiology, ie...
you can normalize bodily processes. Blood pressure, blood sugar levels, cholesterol, intestinal flora...just to name a few.
It's been proven that the soluable fiber in many fruits and vegetables will remove plaque from your arteries.
isn't that a form of cleansing?

Clean your Arteries with Garlic an Lemon

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 07:15 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Exactly.

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 07:17 PM
link   

I just had this conversation online.

Less meat, no dairy products, coconut cultured yogurt, sprouted grain bread and cereal only, egg whites, strawberries juice with lemon kale carrots and beats

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Don't forget...

3. Artificial sweeteners
4. Flavor enhancers
5. Preservatives

If the food was good from the beginning, it wouldn't need so many crutches to stand up on its own. Hand to mouth syndrome is also to blame. Profits over people

EDIT: I guess what I suggested all constitutes for processed food. Lately certain unwanted ingredients have made their way into food I used to like. I feel backed into a corner unless I order online. That corner usually requires me spending more money.

edit on 22-12-2014 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 07:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

I'd also say your "plant heavy" new diet is probably the wrong choice for someone with high cholesterol, uric acid, and overweight issues. Atkins, my friend! lowcarbdiets.about.com... Science!

If you track America's obesity epidemic, you'll find that there are two major components
1. Processed food
2. The rise of low fat fad diets

As to the cleanse question itself, I'm unsold either way. It makes sense to me that a cleanse is an excellent way to begin a new diet. It definitely resets your inner "feed me" clock and menu and makes the actual dieting process a lot easier. It also drops pounds quite efficiently (proven by the fact that those same "snake oil juices" are what hospitals feed morbidly obese patients who are placed on liquid crash diets.) I do agree that it is a waste of money, however, to buy the cleanse and then turn right around afterward and resume drinking unfiltered tap water, living in any major city, eating any food you yourself didn't prepare (not to mention preferably kill and process), etc. No reason to throw good money after bad...

I'm already low-carbs because I'm "sensitive", AKA my stomach doesn't like, flours and grains. I had an allergy panel done by a doctor. What got me in trouble in the first place was a lot of processed food, because I was being lazy, and fried food because it's so tasty.

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 07:32 PM
link   
the terms fasting and cleanse might be used interchangeably these days, but I think they have very different meaning and intent. Cleansing, in which special products must be used (supplements, detox in a box, etc.) definately more like a marketing scam, IMHO.

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 07:35 PM
link   
(wrong reply, removed, sorry)
edit on 22-12-2014 by SkepticOverlord because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 07:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: theNLBS

I'm already low-carbs because I'm "sensitive", AKA my stomach doesn't like, flours and grains.

Gluten? Ah Joe, you're laying the smack down on one of your previous NLBS episodes.

I refrained from commenting on that episode thanks to lack of time, but I will say there's a strong comparison between that episode and this one. I would argue that the missing data points here involve individual human physiology and metabolism and a good old theory called "whatever works for you." I kinda feel like the detractors of gluten free and cleanses are getting hung up on semantics rather than actually disputing anecdotal evidence that these honestly work for some folks.

Gluten, for example... the gluten tests at a doctors office are very finite, looking for something very specific. What it fails to see is the presence of people, many people truth be told, who feel like ass after eating high gluten products. That doesn't make them scientifically "gluten intollerant," but it certainly makes them anecdotally gluten unfriendly... thus, gluten free is their chosen path. You can argue known science, but you cannot argue someone's personal experiences and feelings. Another thing you can argue, but be carefull doing it because the pocket protector crowd gets a bit uppity and huffy over it, is known science vs reality. Science of 2014 looks back at sicence of 1950 with a hearty laugh and a "WTF were they thinking?" head shake. Imagine, if you will, a scientific belief that radiation was good for the body, thalidomide was super for morning sickness, and a common practice of yanking a portion of the brain out through the sinuses to "cure" metal disorders. Now imagine the horselaughs that will be heard in 60 years when the next generation of "enlightened" scientists and doctor look back at the savages we have making high assed, supposedly "learned" statements today in the scientific community of 2014.

The same is true of the cleanse issue. One major component is that one of cleansing's biggest advantages is elimination of yeast overgrowth. Guess what? Modern western medicine doesn't even ackowledge that as a thing unless the patient has AIDS or some other medical problem that makes it impossible to hide. So of course most doctors are going to pooh-pooh a dietary plan that focuses on rebalancing the yeast in your body. Oh, and those yeasts? They feed on toxins, and I don't just mean junk food toxins. They also feed on the mercury amalgams used by all modern dentists, flouride in every municipal water supply, and all the pesticides and GMO shenanigans our scientists have blessed us with. A "healthy" diet isn't enough to combat a true yeast overgrowth.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join