It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BBC News: Alstom to pay $772m fine to settle bribery charges in US

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 04:12 PM
link   

The DOJ alleges the French engineering giant bribed government officials to win business in countries such as Indonesia and Egypt.

It called the scheme "astounding in its breadth, its brazenness and its worldwide consequences".

BBC News: Alstom to pay $772m fine to settle bribery charges in US

American hypocracy knows no bounds....

So why are the World Police fining a French company for bribes in Indonesia and Egypt?

Who gets the fines - charity?

What about America using their Military and Aid along with Foreign Military Sales to give their products an unfair andvantage?

How many other examples?

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 06:42 PM
link   
a reply to: TheCrowMan

The french should keep the money and tell tne USA togo # itself!

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 09:24 PM
link   
GE bought the company so it looks to me like the money will come out of their assets before GE acquires them? And I assume the DOJ will get the money like with other fines. At the time of the bribery they did do business in the US as well through a subsidiary in Connecticut. From what I can tell the purchase price is already established so basically GE will acquire a less valuable company but the French owners shouldn't lose anything maybe?

Just speculation, but maybe part of a deal to approve GE buying a company that was in hot water involved paying this fee? Idk.
edit on 22-12-2014 by TheBlackTiger because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 12:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

Let me guess, Europe should be able to fine US companies like Google though, right?

That would be sort of hypocritical.

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 07:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheBlackTiger
....At the time of the bribery they did do business in the US as well through a subsidiary in Connecticut...

As a sort of insider I can confirm that, yes, some of the transactions which were investigated were completed in US Dollars. That meant the DoJ could get involved, otherwise they would have been out of the picture.

I'm not 100% who will be paying the fine money, but it's irrelevant because even if Alstom pay the fine from their own pocket, that's less of a 'pocketfull' that GE will be aquiring through the purchase.

It's been quite interesting learning about this whole case from the lawyers leading the defence. Alstom have changed their ways since this case began years ago though so there's no more dodgy dealings.

Cheers
edit on 23-12-2014 by Thundersmurf because: Spelling as always

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Is this retaliation because France stayed out of the US and the UK's illegal wars in Iraq and Afghanistan in 2001..

And here was me thinking the punishment at the time for those who didn't Join the "Coalition of the Willing" was zero contracts on all things Oil and zero contracts on the rebuilding of what we destroyed.

Maybe France needs to grow a pair and tell The US and the UK to #### right off.

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

originally posted by: crazyewok

Let me guess, Europe should be able to fine US companies like Google though, right?

That would be sort of hypocritical.

If they have broken EU law in the EU then yeah.

Far as Im covered the US are trying to fine for action done outside the USA.

Your wretched country as far as im concerned has NO jurisdiction out side its borders.

top topics

join