It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NYPD’s Cop Union: ‘We Have Become a Wartime Police Department’ after Two Officers Slain

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 04:38 PM
link   
in the bigger picture this is exactly what the US government wants, for people to call for a federal a nationalised police force that will work outside of state jurisdictions and have all power of the federal government....
as for the NYPD what kind of professionalism is that to go wearing t shirts and the statement of we are at war...what does that statement we are at war even mean? without clarification they have opened up a larger can of worms...so much for professionalism with public servants,

that said indiscriminate killing of police officers is not an answer, violence only begats more violence...change must come from the inside and this is what the police department lack...this is why good cops must remain silent this is why corruption runs rampid in police departments...when I was in law enforcement they told me my word was above reproach...think about that.....

this change must start from the inside, police ,court systems ,politicians...but power corrupts and they are the embodiment of the corruption

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 04:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: BelowLowAnnouncement
a reply to: jude11

Exactly the response I'd expect from armed, paranoid cowards.

There is a reason for the paranoia that many Americans simply do not want to consider or do anything about, since it will violate what they see as their God given right to be armed at all times.

One reason why so many American police shoot first is that so many American civilians are armed. This year 46 policemen were shot dead; last year 52,000 were assaulted. When a policeman is called out to interrupt a robbery, he knows that one mistake could mean he never makes it to retirement. As this newspaper has often pointed out, guns largely explain why America’s murder rate is several times that of other rich countries. And the vastly disparate rate at which policemen shoot young black men is not simply a matter of prejudice. Roughly 29% of Americans shot by the police are black, but so are about 42% of cop killers whose race is known.

If America did not have 300m guns in circulation, much of this would change. That, sadly, is not going to happen soon. But there are other ways to make the police less violent.

www.economist.com...

What is happening in the US with the out of control cops killing citizens and the growing hate against LEOs, you just do not see in other western countries where is it NOT normal to carry guns or have them stashed around your house. These countries do not have school shootings on a regular basis either.

It really is baffling that Americans are not able to draw any conclusions from these facts.

edit on 21-12-2014 by th2356 because: spelling

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I don't blame them. These men were ambushed while doing their job. That's what an animal does.

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 04:51 PM
link   
The police was made by the people and can be taken away from the peoples.... Their are a lot more citizens with guns willing to regulate areas plus their are more military are on citizen side not police ...
edit on 21-12-2014 by 3u40r15m because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-12-2014 by 3u40r15m because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 04:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: jude11

Starting IMMEDIATELY: At least two units are to respond to EVERY call, no matter the condition or severity, no matter what type of job is pending, or what the opinion of the patrol supervisor happens to be.

Just when you thought a discussion was safe from some random bible tard
showing up and dropping bible quotes all over the place

Police used to work in pairs, being a Christian nation we
sent them out just like Jesus did with his apostles,
out into the world in pairs.

This move by the NY Police Department seems disengenous,
and pairs "in name" only, not in spirit. I imagine that
with a force as large as theirs, rivaling some small armies,
the majority of responses will be two officers who have
never met before.

That's hardly the kind of predictability and back up that
a well seasoned team of officers used to enjoy. Is it any
wonder that the individual officer in New York feels all
isolated and alone, and beginning to display a besieged
mentality.

The car companies convinced all the departments to split
up their men, and then with Patrol Cars™, they could
cover twice the area! Well... hasn't the day come for us
to say "O.k. car companies, we bought _every_ cop a car
now can we put our teams back together. Please. Oh,
and in the future try not to bury an entire culture just to
sell us a product.

But over all
    I approve. Teams can exhibit mercy better than the frightened lone officer.

Mike Grouchy

edit on 21-12-2014 by mikegrouchy because: there their

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: suz62

But the coward who did it is dead.

Who is this a War against?

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 04:57 PM
link   
nypost.com...

The link provides a short story and video of the attempt to stabilize the two officers after the shooting.

A dramatic cell-phone video obtained exclusively by The Post captured the chaotic moments after two Brooklyn cops were gunned down in cold blood on Saturday and as two dozen EMTs and officers desperately tried to save them.

I am not surprised that it happened just sorry it did. Wenjian Liu and Rafael Ramos were their names.

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 04:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: suz62
I don't blame them. These men were ambushed while doing their job. That's what an animal does.

Not unlike being unarmed and ambushed in your private homes right?

At least they were armed while on the job.

Do you actually believe their statement of "We are at War" excludes you? If you are one of those that still holds the "if you are doing nothing wrong you have nothing to fear" mentality, I feel sorry for you. Because they don't care and you are not excluded.

How much more will it take for people to see this? Right or wrong isn't important anymore because this thing has a momentum of its own.

Peace

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 05:01 PM
link   
What has happened on both sides is pathetic and sickening.

I haven't looked up their records, so I don't know for sure, but I doubt either of these two officers have ever killed or seriously messed up in their line of work. In fact, what are the statistics on that? I realize a lot of people get brutalized by cops, but there are also a lot of cops. What percentage of cops have actually committed these crimes?

On the other hand, cops on the whole are responsible for myriad deaths and injuries that seem completely unnecessary to me, what ever happened to tazing, tackling, shooting to disable, etc. Why are cops using the 3 in the chest, 2 in the head type of concepts that make more sense to military personnel?

Who is to blame here? Why are citizens so fed up with the laws and their enforcement? Why are police feeling so threatened?

Could it be that a corrupt, unworkable congress has passed so many laws as to make it IMPOSSIBLE for compliance and enforcement to coexist?

Have we been forced into this situation?

And why?

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 05:03 PM
link   
" NYPD’s Cop Union: ‘We Have Become a Wartime Police Department’ after Two Officers Slain "

MSM hyperbole at its finest.

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Yea way to misunderstand folks. The wartime police dept thing harkens back to the 70's when quite a few cops were being gunned down on calls. Criticize the NYPD all you want but none of you and none of the politicians from NYC thought anything about the kill cop chanting of the protesters! That permissive attitude is what get people killed. Here is a bigger look at the reason for the wartime footing.

“These are precautions that were taken in the 1970s when police officers were ambushed and executed on a regular basis,” the statement added.
Link
Context matters and lets face it all this uproar directed at the police for Eric Garners death, yet no one wants to own up to the fact he was a serial offender.Maybe it's time to start looking at the laws that get heaped upon us by our political class. There is no connection being made to all the laws written to make the populace feel good and get them votes. Selling "loosies" is a crime because it deprives NY state of tax revenue from said cigs. This will not be the last cop killing I'm afraid.

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 05:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi

"Absolutely NO enforcement action in the form of arrests and or summonses is to be taken unless absolutely necessary and an individual MUST be placed under arrest."

I read into that as them admitting they have been slap happy with arresting people for no good reason. They shouldn't have been arresting people unless absolutely necessary in the first place but we all know keeping the courts and jails full is good for their business.

On top of that I think too many of them have grown up idolizing Judge Dredd movies taking liberties when they can.

That`s not how I read it, in the context of them declaring war I read it to mean:
" just shoot them down in the street don`t waste your time arresting them,booking them and sending them to trial,they don`t deserve that just shoot them. only arrest them if you absolutely have too, as in if there are too many witnesses for you to just shoot the suspect."

In the context of declaring war it makes more sense to start killing more people.
A declaration of war is a declaration of intent to kill people, is it not?
edit on 21-12-2014 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-12-2014 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 05:11 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

for the first time in a number of years, become a ‘wartime’ police department.

How is it MSM hyperbole when that's exactly what the police said in their statement?

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 05:12 PM
link   
a reply to: TheBlackTiger

what ever happened to tazing, tackling, shooting to disable, etc. Why are cops using the 3 in the chest, 2 in the head type of concepts that make more sense to military personnel?

Well tazers are more lethal than people were comfortable with, there was quite a uproar over people dying when tazed. As for shooting to disable, not as easy as you would like to think. Police are not crack marksmen, they barely get enough range time to be proficient, remember that training like that cost $$$ gov't is loathe to spend.
I had to laugh though when you went on about the laws like I did in my 1st post. I agree with the excess of laws. Just remember law makers face no penalties for poorly created laws. Most laws are written by lawyers in office. That in and of it's self should scare people.

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I hate to sound like a broken record Jude, because I've said and posted these before, but aren't we just seeing the fruition of what we have been warned about for decades, but have ignored, or felt helpless to change?

It's a sad statement for our "civilized" society, but we have to remember, those who have been charged with the administration of our country's affairs are often NOT civilized.

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 05:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Tardacus

No, it means everyone is a potential enemy, which has always been the mindset. It's a matter of self preservation in a thankless job.

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 05:42 PM
link   
The killer is dead, he killed himself it seems. It was a terrible event, similar events happened in the fake war here between so called Christian groupings who have about as much Christianity in them as a spud with blight, and yes many of them are still about and in positions of power. Don't you just wonder about that?
Don't you just wonder also why a highly unionised official from NYPD should come out with that statement? was he talking from his ass or his elbow considering the rank and file?
R.I.P. for the slain officers, and condolence to their families.

edit on 21-12-2014 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 05:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

On top of that I think too many of them have grown up idolizing Judge Dredd movies taking liberties when they can.

Ya there really is just as many cop movies where they go on basically killing sprees, of course it is all 'bad guys' that they are killing.
But people always want to talk about how the culture of some areas get defined by what is in the music and movies, think the same can be said about cops and the movies that glorify going out and killing in the name of the law.

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 06:01 PM
link   

What an immature thing to say. I hope they drown in blood!

"We...........have become.....a wartime .......... police dept!"

Just so happens, we've been gearing up for it the past fifteen
years. And now that you can all be slaughtered with the least
amount of casualties on our side!

Green light baby!

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 06:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
a reply to: suz62

But the coward who did it is dead.

Who is this a War against?

You.