It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Wikipedia under attack, a code problem, or is it just me?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 10:13 AM
link   
During edits of Wikipedia yesterday and today I've encountered an inability to move my mouse on numerous occasions. Has anyone else had this occur, either now or at some other time, and is it a problem of the site or of my computer? It's not occurring on ATS, nor other sites. Thanks.

If Wikipedia is under some kind of 'attack' which is actually slowing the site down and driving people away (I left after it happened a few times) then that's a pretty serious attack. Or code malfunction somewhere in Jimbo Wales' basement.

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 10:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Aleister

Someone said they were having a similar mouse problem here. I didn't book mark it.

Maybe they'll be along.

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 10:19 AM
link   
This is why I never use Wikipedia for serious research. Anyone at all can write what ever they believe. I don't know about restrictions but there sure needs to be some. Maybe that is what you've encountered. Maybe people are complaining about the site containing bad information.
Perhaps they've implemented editing restrictions for this reason.
edit on 12212014 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Really? Maybe North Korea is having a hissy fit about all the negative publicity and sending the code-troops out to ravage the net. ATS and Wikipedia would be two sites which prominently mention the recent controversy, so if I were in the inner-circles of North Korea's little-man (well, kind of fat man) leader (and maybe I am!) these would be two sites I would have on my list. (sinister laugh inserted here)

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: AutumnWitch657

Although I don't edit there as often as I'd like, I've found that the data on Wikipedia is very accurate, and if bad data sneaks in it's only because that page is not being watched by an experienced editor. By the way, the ATS page on Wikipedia was taken down, it really should be rewritten with very good sources so it sticks ( en.wikipedia.org... and en.wikipedia.org... ).
edit on 21-12-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-12-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Wiki is quite a contradiction in some ways imo . Earlier on it looked lt would be the cat's meow but soon turned into a idea that incurred some very basic problems that turned many that were contributing away . Thanks to one Mr. Connolly that took up permanent residence and would edit contributions to the point of not resembling the original content .Still it's one of my first places to check out to either get a basic or find the links to the source . a reply to: Aleister

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Your browser/website/anything like that ... simply cannot control and does not possess any ability to control your mouse movement what-so-ever.

Well, in case you use Windows, everything is possible, but frankly, haven't seen that happen - ever.
edit on 21-12-2014 by Necrose because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I think people who don't like Wikipedia because "anyone can write whatever they want" are being a teeny bit pretentious & irrational.

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Eunuchorn
2nd that.

After all,
There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know.

So who cares? We will never know anything for sure. Mr. professor M.D. PhD. DrSc. might have said something, but again... it may not be true as well.
WIKI RULEZ!

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Unknown facts unverified by anyone anywhere of any age saying whatever they want.

I wouldn't be using unverified fact submissions as truth

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

It's just the authority of 'the Old people full of wisdom' that makes you think it's verified and thus correct and the true truth.

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Necrose

Don't even try, bro. These people probably vote & think "peer reviewed" actually means something.

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Apparently this thread has turned into commentary about Wikipedia. I like it personally, and find very few errors, and have thought about editing there more than I do. Ain't a bad wiki, and seems to be the biggest source of information in the world's history. At least on some level.

But this thread was written to ask if anyone has heard of a computer glitch or even cyber-attack on Wikipedia, or if anyone else has had the there where you can't move your point of typing from one-point on the page to another (and in two cases, as I was scrolling down reading a page, I couldn't go past a set point - the downward scan bar stopped at the same place every time I tried. I had to read the parts of the pages I was missing by hitting edit and reading the raw edit page).

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 01:01 PM
link   

man, this is the most difficult explanation about a computer problem ever

"set point", "downward scan bar" ... "can't move point of typing from one-point"

after reading it, I still don't get what was the exact problem of yours, though I am pretty sure it was rather a computer glitch than any type cyber-attack.

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Necrose

The downward scan bar, on the right of the computer screen, got stuck at the same point of the article every time I tried it, and it wouldn't go past that point. This never happened before. Other articles would work fine, I'd go back to the one I'm talking about, and it would stick the page at that exact same point and not allow scrolling down, either on the side bar or with the mouse controls. Apologies I don't know the formal names, but that description should be enough to know what I'm talking about.

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aleister
a reply to: intrptr

Really? Maybe North Korea is having a hissy fit about all the negative publicity and sending the code-troops out to ravage the net. ATS and Wikipedia would be two sites which prominently mention the recent controversy, so if I were in the inner-circles of North Korea's little-man (well, kind of fat man) leader (and maybe I am!) these would be two sites I would have on my list. (sinister laugh inserted here)

I don't think they are "hacking" your mouse.

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 04:03 PM
link   

it's sidebar or scrolling bar
I've never heard "downward scan bar"
anyway I DO UNDERSTAND now.
btw, I love your avatar, I honestly smiled once I caught it looking (kinda missed it before) and it's really genuine

so no hack, no crack, no cyber-attack.. don't worry, life goes on!

edit on 21-12-2014 by Necrose because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 04:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aleister
a reply to: AutumnWitch657

Although I don't edit there as often as I'd like, I've found that the data on Wikipedia is very accurate, and if bad data sneaks in it's only because that page is not being watched by an experienced editor. By the way, the ATS page on Wikipedia was taken down, it really should be rewritten with very good sources so it sticks.

Yes, the ATS page has been down for some time now. But then some pages on Wiki just get edited by who knows, including the spooks, and for no good reason. That's the problem with Wiki, it's just too big to moderate or arbitrate for that matter. They have rules about minimal external links for instance, yet on so many pages they are full of same, which can leave you with no idea if any page in particular is being unmoderated or promoted by Wiki.
Wiki was a good idea, now it needs money ahead of being something credible again.

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Awe man my favourite thing to do with wiki is edit american history entries. Mucho fun.

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 10:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Hijinx

I like the movie plots. After I see a movie I'll often look at the Wikipedia article about it and add to it or change minor errors. Most edits, if they are accurate, seem to stay, but some are reverted or added to by others. It's a give and take site.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join