It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am no longer confident the universe in which we live is benevolent.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 09:47 AM
link   
All I see is consciousness against a random background that is the multiverse......
Consciousness is the only real force arrayed against chaos......the rest is beautiful but meaningless background....

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: droid56

The universe is not one nor the other. The universe is a name we gave to an accumulation of matter and energy, which comprises all of the elements of existence that we can measure using science. It is not an intelligence, either artificial or otherwise, and lacks therefore the capacity to be either benevolent, malevolent, or any of the positions between. It is a place, and perhaps just one of many for all that we can know at the moment.

God, well that is a matter of religious preference or lack thereof in some cases. Personally, I believe in God, and that despite the fact that his manner of showing it can seem perverse, he has love for all his creation, including every one of us. I can understand how that kind of faith is hard to maintain though. Do not mistake my belief for naivety. I am determined that when I die, and if I keep my nose clean, the creator and I will have words about a few things. However, for the moment, all I can do is maintain my faith, and live in the moment.

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 10:48 AM
link   
a reply to: droid56

Well your still on the right side of the dirt so that's a plus.

The natural worlds does not see good and evil or good and bad. It seeks balance. Like electricity. It can cook a man's dinner or cook the man. Electricity is not evil but step on a downed wire and you're still toast.
Keeping a positive attitude helps.

And I don't mean, "I'm positive that life sucks".

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   
The universe is a cruel place. Creatures literally have to shred and eat each other to survive. That's painful and frightening and to invent universe in which creatures live briefly and then die is, by my logic, twisted.

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Nobody invented the universe it just IS......
Nothing controls the universe it merely progresses in the same way we do in our life spans ....
It too, is merely a victim of circumstance.....
What the master said....."life is like a beanstalk,...isn't it?"

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 04:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Itisnowagain

How wonderfully cleansing. Waves washing over and melting the idea of separation and the will to be. The pathless path.Thanks itisnowagain.

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 08:46 PM
link   
I believe there is a benevolent Creator Spirit in the Universe. But with the information highway and places to learn like ATS our eyes have been opened and we are now aware of the corruption, and depravity of our leaders, destruction of our planet, an alien or demonic presence that is somehow feeding on us, financial crises, war with Russia etc etc. One can only assume that an apparently evil darkness has control over our little corner of the universe, it makes it difficult to hang on to the thread of believing that the spirit that creates good has any control here at all.

I know that our collective thoughts can create our reality, because we have that creator spirit inside ourselves. So, did mankind tip the scales when we held our breath until 2012 got here? I was raised to believe that Armageddon should have come by now. So, did we create this doom and gloom because we bought into the religious teachings about the end of the world and then manifested it ourselves?

Maybe we should do an experiment, and all think really positive thoughts for the OP, and just see if our collective thoughts can be used to change lives.
If it works, I want to go next lol

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 12:31 AM
link   
I`m going to be seen as crazy, but this is just what happened to me 30 minutes ago. I was driving home on a very rainy night, and I got to the stop-light just before the damn improvement project. This light stops you sometimes for a long time. During this prolonged stop I happened to glance up at the dark grey night sky, and this is what I saw. It was a bunch of bright lights arranged in the shape of a very big bird going sideways. Totally unexpected.

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 03:27 AM
link   
To determine if the universe is "good" or "evil", one has to determine what good and evil are.

The world is a cruel place from the perspective of living beings and humanity has decided what is cruel and what is kind.

Our sense of fairness or how things should be if they are truly benevolent, seems to be an instinct we are born with. Humans seem to be born with a sense of how things are "meant" to be but get beat down by the reality of a cruel world that seems somehow unnatural. This could be due to some cultural mixed messages we get as we grow older and mature.

It boils down to evil being something that harms our well being and good is something that benefits us. We are naturally repelled from rotten food or our own excrement, but those things literally mean life for other organisms. What is good or bad or ugly are instincts that help us to survive by not eating rotten diseased foods or keeping warm and dry or avoiding death and danger, keeping comfortable and safe are survival instincts. If it feels good to us, then chances are it is good for our survival.

This, of course, doesn't directly address the perceived notion that life is good or bad in some greater objective point of view. There may be good and evil in the universe on a level we can't really understand, but we have our ideas of what that should be, be they right or wrong. Until we can break out of the human condition, we will never get beyond our idea of what is good or bad.

edit on 21-12-2014 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Typo

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join