It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Barack Obama stands up for free speech, severely criticizes SONY for pulling "The Interview"

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity

originally posted by: Aleister
It'll be released now, I'm pretty sure of that.

Even after this statement, doesn't it still depend on what the lawyers make of it all. If it is released and something happens, who's liable?

Why does it matter? DHS has already said that there is no credible intelligence that Guardians of Peace could ever carry out their threats

I don't know about you, but I'd rather not fear more terrorist rhetoric. I went through enough of that baloney in the 2000 decade with the Bush admin yelling terrorist every time a shadow moved.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

The DHS did no such thing. The DHS are the ones saying that there is no credible threat from Guardians of Peace. You are making up a narrative here.
edit on 19-12-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 02:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun
a reply to: applesthateatpeople

So instead of saying "Good for him, he did something right for once!"

You waggle your finger and deride him anyway.

6 years!

6 YEARS!

If a person kills 6 kids, and allows the seventh to go free, untouched--- I should say, "good for him, he did something right for once" ???

6 YEARS of ignoring basic US constitutional freedoms is FAR TOO LONG!!! He had his chance...

6 YEARS AGO!!!

He should have defended constitutional rights from DAY ONE!

Only then, would he be worth anything to America...

6 years of treating America like his own kingdom does not heal by one instance of him defending a movie...

What you are arguing is heartbreaking and laughable all at the same time.

edit on 19-12-2014 by applesthateatpeople because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   
North Korea is only the puppet here. China is pulling the strings with the help of Russia. When I first heard NK mentioned I knew they didn't have the technology to pull off a Sony-type hack by themselves. China, Iran, and Russia, however do have the technology. and have used it. This is cyberwar for real.

This will be something to watch how we handle this situation. Because it sets the stage for the future. This will have far-reaching consequences no matter which way it blows.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 02:42 PM
link   

What I'm arguing for is for people to applaud him when he does something right, and call him out when he does something wrong.

Is that wrong?

I don't agree with 90% of what Obama has done, but that doesn't stop me from calling it like it is when he does something right. Yeah, he's largely been an ineffective potus and done some pretty stupid things, but he did the right thing here, so I'll give him kudos for it.

Just because I agree with one thing he does, doesn't mean I'm somehow giving him the thumbs up for everything he's done.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 02:43 PM
link   
LOL

Wow. People still can't keep politics out of this and the tired refrains of "..he destroyed american...took away our basic freedoms.." LOL

Um...He're a news flash.. the constitution isn't destroyed.. no more than anything Bush did....neither did Obama take away any of my freedoms. I'm actually just as free now as I was before he took office.. and hold on...okay I'm back.. I just looked outside my door. He didn't destroy america. LOL Whew!

Oh wait...found it.. there was a crack in the sidewalk and the streetlight nearest the corner to my shop was out. He really is destroying America. Slowly...very, very slowly...

Back on topic. This is very good and just the sort of speech we needed on this from the president. Good for him!

edit on 19-12-2014 by amazing because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I'm sure that this has already been brought up. But, can anyone remember what he had to say about the hullabaloo when it came to Innocence of Muslims?
edit on 12/19/2014 by cmdrkeenkid because: Fixing broken italics tags.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

The DHS did no such thing. The DHS are the ones saying that there is no credible threat from Guardians of Peace. You are making up a narrative here.

They often talk in opposites.

I am very suspicious.

The "Guardians of Peace" are not the problem.

I bet they have many "other" threats from "credible" sources.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun

What I'm arguing for is for people to applaud him when he does something right, and call him out when he does something wrong.

Is that wrong?

I don't agree with 90% of what Obama has done, but that doesn't stop me from calling it like it is when he does something right. Yeah, he's largely been an ineffective potus and done some pretty stupid things, but he did the right thing here, so I'll give him kudos for it.

Just because I agree with one thing he does, doesn't mean I'm somehow giving him the thumbs up for everything he's done.

Then why can't you understand that it is too late?

"OBAMA DEFENDS FIRST AMENDMENT" will be what people see...

ANd it will cloud the fact that HE DOES NOT CARE about the US constitution at all. Your response is exactly what he wanted...

Politics is all about controlling what people think.

EDIT;

Oh, and you didn't answer my question about the child killer.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Obama doesn't control how I think. I look at facts and make my own opinion.

And the fact is he did something right here. So he gets my customary golf clap and I go about my day. My overall opinion of him hasn't changed.

EDIT: And your child-killer question is irrelevant to the discussion and was a baiting question so I won't answer it.
edit on 19-12-2014 by ScientificRailgun because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 02:55 PM
link   

“We must pass an information sharing bill as quickly as possible next ."
- Sen. Feinstein

There it is!

Link
edit on 19-12-2014 by raedar because: added link

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Obama shouldn't be speaking about issues like this. I however as a conspiracy theorist have full reign to discuss my opinion about anything and pretend to be expert about everything.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: TsukiLunar

We're all armchair politicians, pundits, and experts here.

I wouldn't expect any less from ATS.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

I agree before I became a conspiracy theorist I was not an expert in anything now I know everything from climate science to political science. My experience with every subject is so all-encompassing it dwarfs all non-conspiracy theorist opinions.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Sounds like paranoia talking to me.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 03:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Aleister

I'm not a fan of capitalism; however, I fail to see where the government can or should dictate a business decision and in particular a Japanese business.

But there is precedence for Government meddling in film:

In the musical "1776," the song "Cool, Cool, Considerate Men" depicts Revolutionary War era conservatives as power-hungry wheedlers focused on maintaining wealth. So it's not surprising that then-President Richard Nixon, who saw the show at a special White House performance in 1970, wasn't a big fan of the number.

What is surprising is that according to Jack L. Warner, the film's producer and a friend of the president, Nixon pressured him to cut the song from the 1972 film version of the show--which Warner did. Warner also wanted the original negative of the song shredded, but the film's editor secretly kept it intact.

articles.latimes.com...
edit on 19-12-2014 by FyreByrd because: (no reason given)

One of my favorite musicals, I watch the restored version every July 4th.
edit on 19-12-2014 by FyreByrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Would you please enlighten us as to which freedoms Obama succeeded in taking away from us?

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity

Even after this statement, doesn't it still depend on what the lawyers make of it all. If it is released and something happens, who's liable?

Having worked for many years in liability insurance, I can confidently tell you that acts of terrorism/war are specifically excluded from any and all liability. The liable party would be those that harm others (i.e., terrorists).

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 03:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Would you enlighten me as to where I said that?

I said OBAMA DOES NOT CARE ABOUT THE US CONSTITUTION!

I said OBAMA UNDERMINES THE US CONSTITUTION!!!

BUT, to answer your question...

Renewing the patriot act...

Indefinite detention act...

Those TOOK basic freedoms AWAY from us.

You seem to be loving every minute of losing freedom, so why even question me?

All you need to do is celebrate...

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 03:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

BTW, if you want a full list, I am more than happy to put it together...

Give me a day or two, though... THIS IS A HUGE TASK!

Say the word...

I'll make a whole thread on it, if you like.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join