It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Barack Obama stands up for free speech, severely criticizes SONY for pulling "The Interview"

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: scattergun

It's not just about a movie hack, it's about cyber security and bowing to terrorist threats on a private sector level. Sony was just an example of what shouldn't have been done. The moment we start changing the way we live our lives, is the very moment terrorists will gain a foothold against us.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

I could be considered a hater of his policies, but I thought he did a great job adressing this issue!

Pretty much said what must of us have. Sony and Lil Kimmy are cowards!

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: applesthateatpeople

So a sitting president makes a stand for Freedom of Speech, and you deride him for it.

Just making sure we're clear here.

link   
What about Team America World Police?

Didn't that movie depict North Korea in a bad light? Didn't the old "Dear Leader" get killed in a pretty guresome way? Why no hacks then? Why no outrage then? Why no press confrences? What exactly is going on here???

link   

originally posted by: parad0x122

It's not just about a movie hack, it's about cyber security and bowing to terrorist threats on a private sector level. Sony was just an example of what shouldn't have been done. The moment we start changing the way we live our lives, is the very moment terrorists will gain a foothold against us.

We started changing the way we live our lives and bowing to terrorists threats as soon as The Patriot Act became law.

link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity

originally posted by: AgentShillington

originally posted by: Aleister
It'll be released now, I'm pretty sure of that.

Even after this statement, doesn't it still depend on what the lawyers make of it all. If it is released and something happens, who's liable?

The Hackers.

In real life.

SONY and the theater owners probably. Maybe they'll release it online. But I'd think some theater chain would now take it on. If it opens in all cities at once that would at least make it easier to feel safe going into the theater....then again, with all the multiplexes maybe all the movie releases would suffer. Interesting situation.
edit on 19-12-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: AgentShillington

That may be true, so you're saying we should continue on down that path?

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I hope Sony releases the movie now. If ANY attack happens at a theater because of this movie, Obama will take full responsibility right?

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 01:31 PM
link   
a reply to: parad0x122

What should or shouldnt? We are, and will continue.

Because "KEEP CALM and CARRY ON" is a fad that no one actually understands.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Even after this statement, doesn't it still depend on what the lawyers make of it all. If it is released and something happens, who's liable?

The Hackers.

In real life.

Do you mean, who will the Conspiracy Theorists blame?

I don't think that matters.

Um no. Liability as in casualties and medical bills and damaged things. Sony's attorneys may have something to say about that, as might the theater owners' attorneys. Or maybe the federal government will foot the bill.

link   
a reply to: Aleister

Right. I was typing above

link   

Even worse, if producers and distributors start engaging in self-censorship becaues they don’t want to offend the sensibilities of somebody who frankly probably needs their sensibilities offended.

IF???? Why this sounds like the history of censorship in the US for the last 100 years. All this recent thing does is focus on the problem of censorship. Remember all those movies and tv shows where married couples could not even go to sleep in the same bed because it offended some people??? Remember the iffyness of some of the early anti-Hitler movies and how they were censured to not antagonize the leader too much? How Chaplin had to skirt the true nature of his political statements?

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 01:33 PM
link   
a reply to: applesthateatpeople

I'm sorry I'd like to say what I say without thinking about it twice sometimes without getting shot or arrested. It happens. And if I make an addition to the current cultural art of entertainment, I'd like doing so freely, without censorship from a little di*# with a god complex.
But that's just me...
Also pulling Team America is the silliest thing I've heard in this cyber tale. That one doesn't make Americans look good or anything. It's just maybe the funniest movie ever...

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 01:34 PM
link   

The Hackers.

In real life.

Um no. Liability as in casualties and medical bills and damaged things. Sony's attorneys may have something to say about that, as might the theater owners' attorneys. Or maybe the federal government will foot the bill.

Well, considering that we have officially blamed North Korea for the hacks, then any acts of violence would no doubt also be blamed on NK. So, my guess is that it would be seen as an act of war, and would be dealt with accordingly.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 01:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: jheated5
I hope Sony releases the movie now. If ANY attack happens at a theater because of this movie, Obama will take full responsibility right?

He would have to. He also confirmed it was North Korea that did the hack. Very interesting situation. Americans will probably be seeing that movie on Christmas Day (is there a European and other continent release?).

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 01:36 PM
link   
What does Sharpton think about all this?

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 01:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire

Even worse, if producers and distributors start engaging in self-censorship becaues they don’t want to offend the sensibilities of somebody who frankly probably needs their sensibilities offended.

IF???? Why this sounds like the history of censorship in the US for the last 100 years. All this recent thing does is focus on the problem of censorship. Remember all those movies and tv shows where married couples could not even go to sleep in the same bed because it offended some people??? Remember the iffyness of some of the early anti-Hitler movies and how they were censured to not antagonize the leader too much? How Chaplin had to skirt the true nature of his political statements?

Yes, but Chaplin and the other censored situations didn't have a president making a very public announcement calling the studios almost anti-American. Nah, he did call them, not in so many words, anti-American. I repeat, a very very interesting situation. SONY ought to be making an announcement soon, they can't wait too long. And the arguments that must be going on. Ah, to be a swarm of flies on those corporate walls.....

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 01:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: parad0x122

I really get it, however we have been fighting a cyber war for 15 years now. Sony is nothing. And the terrorists pose a small threat. Nation States have been trying to destroy us for years now. Our hack is just better some days thats all. But I don't ride the terrorist DOOM TRAIN yet ...

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   

The Hackers.

In real life.

Well, considering that we have officially blamed North Korea for the hacks, then any acts of violence would no doubt also be blamed on NK. So, my guess is that it would be seen as an act of war, and would be dealt with accordingly.

I am speaking of financial liability. Sony and the theaters might not be too keen on that.

I am also saying that it's easy for someone to say what the president said and what many say here. But the attorneys may not green light this venture, because if something happens, and if people sue, they could be out of a lot of money.

Remember bailing out the airlines and all the cleanup costs around 9/11? How much was that? About $3 trillion dollars.
edit on 12/19/2014 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join