It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Barack Obama stands up for free speech, severely criticizes SONY for pulling "The Interview"

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 01:06 PM
link   
In Barack Obama's Christmas news conference he tears SONY a new one (I mean nostril, he tears them a new nostril) for pulling the movie "The Interview". Wow. Asked if he'd watch the movie himself he sidestepped that question, but he's made huge major news with this. SONY might have to backtrack and release it now.

EDIT to add youtube vid of the event:

edit on 19-12-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-12-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Aleister

thats awesome.
is there a link or a transcript?

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 01:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grovit

thats awesome.

He's speaking live at the moment from what I saw.

~Tenth

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 01:10 PM
link   
awesome

www.theguardian.com...

“We cannot have a society where some dictator someplace can start imposing censorship here in the United States. Because if somebody’s goign to intimidate them for releasing a satirical movie, imagine what’s going to happen when there’s a documentary they don’t like. “Even worse, if producers and distributors start engaging in self-censorship becaues they don’t want to offend the sensibilities of somebody who frankly probably needs their sensibilities offended. “That’s not who we are. That’s not who Americans are.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grovit

thats awesome.

Happening as I typed. When a transcript of this comes out somewhere I'll copy paste it to the OP (unless someone can put it up in an early post). He just treated SONY like a dog treats a bone. A historic stand for free speech, when you see the youtube video (maybe it's up now) you'll see what I mean. Huge headlines will come of this one. He just blessed a reporter who sneezed.

+2 more 
posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Must be a pretty boring day at the White House. Again, I see no value in our President opening his mouth about this issue... I would like to think those fellas up there in Washington have far more important things to do than be concerned about a Sony hack. Geez, if they need a few ideas all they have to do is look outside the window and read some of those signs people are holding up...

Education
Employment
Heath Care
Tax relief
Civil Rights

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Yea this is great.....

What about showing Mohammad on TV? Where was the outrage for freedom of speech....oh wait

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 01:14 PM
link   

edit on 19-12-2014 by KewlDaddyFatty because: double post

+5 more 
posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 01:16 PM
link   
inb4 the Obama haters slide in here and start their spin either by saying "Obama shouldn't even be talking about this" or outright blaming him for the attack somehow.

Good on him for standing up and saying Sony shouldn't have pulled the movie. He made some excellent points.

ETA: Ooops, too late. They got here before I did!
edit on 19-12-2014 by ScientificRailgun because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: scattergun

It was the first question asked at his last news conference of the year, which historically is a very long press conference and creates lots of news. He'll be taking questions for awhile.

This is actually major news, and not something for a slow news day. It will probably go down as a "speech" in the annals of speeches advocating free speech. Lots of pressure against SONY, and now that Obama has their back they can release it to theaters and if anything violent occurs they can say Obama stood with them, which means the United States government now stands with them. It'll be released now, I'm pretty sure of that.

EDIT: And there must be many people at SONY who advocated releasing it. Their influence is now much greater, and heads may even roll at SONY(or at least be bowed). Almost like a social freedom revolution in Hollywood on this one.
edit on 19-12-2014 by Aleister because: add a word to edit edit

+4 more 
posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 01:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: scattergun

Education
Employment
Heath Care
Tax relief
Civil Rights

Being fondled at Airports......

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 01:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aleister
It'll be released now, I'm pretty sure of that.

Even after this statement, doesn't it still depend on what the lawyers make of it all. If it is released and something happens, who's liable?

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Agreed, Sony is being pressured now pretty hard to go ahead with the release.

If they don't, I imagine a lot of people, not just here on ATS, would say Sony is... How do I put this without breaking T&C. Sans Testicles? Yeah, we'll go with that.
edit on 19-12-2014 by ScientificRailgun because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 01:23 PM
link   
And if SONY showed the movie which resulted in an attack on the US of some sorts...Obama would blame them for that as well.

Because there is no reason OBAMA can be the problem with hatred towards America around the Globe...right?

POS

BTW...SONY should show it regardless of anything Obama spins.

Peace

link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity

Even after this statement, doesn't it still depend on what the lawyers make of it all. If it is released and something happens, who's liable?

Good point. I guess with the U.S. government now pretty much telling them to release it, some insurance companies may have to step up.

link   

The Hackers.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 01:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: AgentShillington

The Hackers.

In real life.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun
inb4 the Obama haters slide in here and start their spin either by saying "Obama shouldn't even be talking about this" or outright blaming him for the attack somehow.

Good on him for standing up and saying Sony shouldn't have pulled the movie. He made some excellent points.

ETA: Ooops, too late. They got here before I did!

Wow, he defended a movie? Really?

I guess that makes him capable of running the most powerful military in the world...

I guess that makes up for everything else, right?

LOL... I would say that was sarcasm, but I am far too confused by people's priorities these days.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Free speech my ass this is about money.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 01:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: AgentShillington

The Hackers.

In real life.

Do you mean, who will the Conspiracy Theorists blame?

I don't think that matters.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join