It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: FBI blames North Korea for Sony hack

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 10:57 AM
link   
The BBC has reported that the FBI has just formally accused North Korea of hacking Sony Pictures.

The US Federal Bureau of Investigation says North Korea was behind a cyber-attack on Sony Pictures over a film about its leader Kim Jong-un.

The agency said analysis of malware showed links to North Korean actors.

www.bbc.com...

The Guardian has further included reports by the FBI:

The FBI has released its update on the Sony investigation, which reads in part:

“The FBI now has enough information to conclude that the North Korean government is responsible for these actions. While the need to protect sensitive sources and methods precludes us from sharing [all the details of its evidence], our conclusion is based, in part, on the following:

“Technical analysis of the data deletion malware used in this attack revealed links to other malware that the FBI knows North Korean actors previously developed. For example, there were similarities in specific lines of code, encryption algorithms, data deletion methods and compromised networks.

“The FBI also observed significant overlap between the infrastructure of this attack and other malicious cyber activity the US government has previously linked directly to North Korea. For example, the FBI discovered that several internet protocol (IP) addresses associated with known North Korean infrastructure with IP addresses that were hardcoded into the data deletion malware used in this attack.

“Separately the tools used in the SPE [Sony Pictures] attack have similarities to a cyber attack in March of last year against South Korean banks and media outlets, which was carried out by North Korea.

“We are deeply concerned about the destructive nature of this attack on a private sector entity and the ordinary citizens who worked there. Further, North Korea’s attack on SPE reaffirms that cyber threats pose one of the gravest national security dangers to the United States. Though the FBI has seen a wide variety and increasing number of cyber intrusions, the destructive nature of this attack, coupled with its coercive nature sets it apart.

“North Korea’s actions were intended to inflict significant harm on a US business and suppress the right of American citizens to express themselves. Such acts of intimidation fall outside the bounds of acceptable state behavior. The FBI takes seriously any attempt – whether through cyber-enabled means, threats of violence, or otherwise – to undermine the social prosperity of our citizens.

“The FBI stands ready to assist any US company that is the victim of a destructive cyber attack or breach of confidential business information. Further, the FBI will continue to work closely with multiple departments and agencies as well as with domestic, foreign, and private sector partners who have played a critical role in our ability to trace this and other cyber threats to their source. Working together, the FBI will identify, pursue, and impose costs and consequences on individuals, groups, or nation states who use cyber means to threaten the United States or US interests.”

www.theguardian.com...

Obama will hold a press conference regarding the situation at 1:30 pm ET.
edit on 19-12-2014 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: daaskapital
You forgot the link dass :-p lol

www.bbc.co.uk...

EDIT: and you edited it in....heh

I wonder if the USSA will use this to attack NK?
edit on 19/12/14 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: woogleuk

Haha, i noticed that!
It's 3:00 am here!

I don't think the US will attack North Korea, but i expect them to announce sanctions or something similar.

Thanks for the reply, and for including the link, lol!

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Not short enough post.

Try

BBC reports FBI accuses DPRK for Sony hack.

More details ASAP.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

Would they have people capable of such a hack in NK?

I know they can [allegedly] build nuclear weapons, but as an IT engineer, I cannot imagine them having such a great tech department when it comes to that, unless the security that Sony employs is no better than the built in Windows firewall.

Don't get me wrong, I don't subscribe to the thought that they are all working on Commodore PET / Vic 20 / whatever.....but this is a pretty sophisticated attack that I wouldn't think that such a restrictive country would be capable of.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 11:09 AM
link   

The greatest security measures are meaningless if social engineering nets you one valid admin password.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 11:13 AM
link   

I think that North Korea being so close to China and not to mention the widespread availability of modern computing hardware/software it's fairly easy for a Country like NK to have done this, couple that with a pop culture view of North Koreans almost being cavemen in intelligence.

Some are scared shirtless about North Korean possible capabilities while others do not fear them at all. Some of us neither underestimate nor overestimate them but try to keep an eye out.

Could it be some sort of 'False Flag' ?

Sure, why not, everything these days gets that label why not this one too.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 11:15 AM
link   

The BBC has reported that the FBI has just formally accused North Korea of hacking Sony Pictures.

So what is worst? being formally accused of hacking or being formally marked as an Axis of evil?

Both appear to give you the permissions to go to war.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 11:15 AM
link   

I'm not sure I buy any of this. They have said for quite some time there was no real connection to NK. Now they're changing their tune. I find it all quite conveniently distracting from all the other BS happening they don't want anyone to notice. Kind of reminds me of the Benghazi video charade.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 11:17 AM
link   

The FBI has released its update on the Sony investigation, which reads in part:

“The FBI now has enough information to conclude that the North Korean government is responsible for these actions. While the need to protect sensitive sources and methods precludes us from sharing [all the details of its evidence]

I've been saying this to a few people...
No one would accept what I'd said though.

They probably worked in tandem with the Chinese to manage this.

It's gonna be an interesting New Year.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 11:18 AM
link   

It's telling that an attack on a private US corporate entity is equivalent to a National security threat.

It's screaming at you. The US is a Fascist state. Throw in the merging of civilian police with military and the loss of "rule of law" and it's absolutely obvious.

keep a very close eye on these so-called "elections".

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Separately the tools used in the SPE [Sony Pictures] attack have similarities to a cyber attack in March of last year against South Korean banks and media outlets, which was carried out by North Korea.

I read yesterday that DPRK denied any involvement in those attacks.

The South Korean communications regulator reportedly linked the computer failures to hacking that used malicious code, or malware.

An investigation found that many of the malignant codes employed in the attacks were similar to ones used by the North previously, said Lee Seung-won, an official at the South Korean Ministry of Science.

North Korea denied responsibility.

CNN Source.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   

The Elite in DPRK have exactly the same opportunities as anyone around the World.

It's the lower classes who are allegedly subjected to live in 1970 technologically.

The Military would definitely be capable of this.

It's also been said that 90% of the World would have succumbed to the attack...
With the exception of companies like Microsoft etc who would have hacking protection equivalent to the Alphabet Agencies.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Could it be some sort of 'False Flag' ?

Sure, why not, everything these days gets that label why not this one too.

I'm glad someone said it before it was seriously considered.

False Flags don't usually involve losing money, rather the opposite.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Does this response from the FBI strike anybody else as crazy? The FBI is fingering North Korea (NK)? Perhaps I have the wrong idea on how things work in global intelligence agencies, but the FBI is supposed to be concerned with domestic crime. The "crimes" at the present are rather petty as international crimes go (as compared to North Korea's unstoppable printing of US $100 notes), and the cimes really originated in that country. What can the FBI do about it, go arrest the perps?

Where are all of the US intel alphabet agencies that are the guardians of our secrets and the internet? They are eerily silent in this matter. Why are the major US players in this hacking business not showing us their responses? Are they wanting to drag this negative attention of the vulnerability of the internet? And Once they garner enough public attention and outrage in the West they can eventually propose international "safeguard" controls to cause the internet to be a conveniently and totally controlled?

The FBI seems to me to be a store-front operation to keep the game going as other outfits, such as the NSA, work behind the scenes on various tactics and goals. Nothing is ever as simple as it seems. Don't let a good crisis go to waste.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

They're cavemen and couldn't possibility have the brains to pull this off.

Sarcasm/off

Just read some of the replies of what people think of them here at ATS.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 11:32 AM
link   
My question is simply, although not simple.

Now what?

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Bilk22

On the contrary, i read in the week the hacks happened that Sony was considering North Korea as a suspect. I think it would be a logical deduction considering the then imminent release of The Interview

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 11:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: daaskapital
a reply to: Bilk22

On the contrary, i read in the week the hacks happened that Sony was considering North Korea as a suspect. I think it would be a logical deduction considering the then imminent release of The Interview

Sony may have considered that but the FBI has stated for quite some time, there was no connection. Check for yourself. I'll not waste time searching and posting links, but there's plenty that confirm that.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Your telling me, pal...

It goes from downright hilarious sometimes...
To dangerously arrogant.

Sure they said the same about Al'Qaeda's plans.
That's the sole reason these threats are now never underestimated by the Agencies.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join