It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Was attack on Silicon Valley Substation a North Korean dry run?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 07:56 AM
link   
In April, a California substation was attacked in a very military fashion. Could this be linked to the North Koreans?

www.wsj.com...

The attack began just before 1 a.m. on April 16 last year, when someone slipped into an underground vault not far from a busy freeway and cut telephone cables.

Within half an hour, snipers opened fire on a nearby electrical substation. Shooting for 19 minutes, they surgically knocked out 17 giant transformers that funnel power to Silicon Valley. A minute before a police car arrived, the shooters disappeared into the night.

The reason for this idea is from a recently released, heavily redacted DIA file from 2004 that explains that there have been NK teams in the US since the 90's ready to act in case of aggression from the US.

freebeacon.com...

This part is what I feel is very interesting

The FBI, in response to a Freedom of Information Act request, said it was unaware of the DIA intelligence report on North Korean commando teams. In a July 9, 2012 letter, the FBI stated that it was unable to find any file records on North Korea’s Reconnaissance Bureau.

An FBI spokesman had no immediate comment. A DIA spokesman did not return emails seeking comment on the documents.

A second DIA document reveals that an American defector identified only as “Jackson” and as a former Air Force officer was working inside North Korea for the Reconnaissance Bureau.

The 1998 document stated that the officer had been “captured by North Korea” and was teaching North Koreans “U.S. Special Forces tactics, English [language], and interrogation techniques as chief of psychological operations studies at Madonghui Military College to North Korean seaborne snipers.”

The American also “visited the 52nd Seaborne Sniper Battalion to teach U.S. Special Forces tactics, American English, and interrogation techniques since before 1983,” the report said, noting that the training was carried out under the Reconnaissance Bureau.

The reference to “American English” is an indication the training may have been preparation for the future dispatch of North Korean snipers to the United States.

Connect this to the recent 'SONY' threat of 9/11 style attacks and it makes you wonder just a little bit. There could be some very valid reason we do not bomb them back to the stone age.

Also, don't forget that 'satellite' that was supposed to crash is still travelling over the US. Scary to think it could hold EMP technology that could work in conjunction with NK strike teams and cyber attacks to cripple the US power grid and other needed resources.
edit on 12am31amfu2014-12-19T07:57:24-06:000724 by matafuchs because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you, World War III.

The new War... It seeks not nations and territories, but information and technologies.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Grasping at straws, we need to blame the coming economic crash on someone other then the real perpetrators.. NK is as good as any I guess

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 08:07 AM
link   
a reply to: YouNeedMe

I feel the collapse is coming...war makes money...thins the heard. Look at WW2.

I just thought these two stories seemed to match to each other in odd fashion.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Just like Jericho, we bomb ourselves and then bomb Iran and NK in retaliation.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Wait, I though Putin is responsible for every bad thing that happens?

To OP. Nice reach. It wasn't North Korean sappers, lol. Their country is occupied and under siege by the US Military.

I live in Silicon Valley. They haven't caught anyone yet. The attack wasn't done in a "military" fashion, it was done with the thorough understanding of the local grid that only someone with inside knowledge (like disgruntled employees) could have pulled off.

North Koreans…

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Listen! You can hear it. The Confusion. Thousands of voices crying at everywhere, none knowing if it is the right direction. These voices blinded by confusion... They are the new casualties; the victims are the minds now, and the bodies no more.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 08:30 AM
link   
a reply to: swanne

The new War... It seeks not nations and territories, but information and technologies.

You must live indoors.

The real wars for nations and resources is ongoing. If not from your window, you should be able to see it from your computer screens.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 08:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: hillbilly4rent

Just like Jericho, we bomb ourselves and then bomb Iran and NK in retaliation.

and China, and Russia, and Venezuela, and..insert US non compliance country here.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 08:56 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

How about the second attack....

www.frontpagemag.com...

On the other side of the country around the same time.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 09:17 AM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs

I didn't know about that "incident". Hardly an "attack" like what happened here. "Ak 47s" weren't used either.

A trespasser would not be completely extraordinary, but an armed trespasser willing to engage in a shootout with a police officer who arrives there by boat raises a whole series of questions.

Sounds like he was after copper, maybe. Article is misleading. A nuclear power plant wasn't "attacked".

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 09:23 AM
link   

and China, and Russia, and Venezuela, and..insert US non compliance country here.

Roger that.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 09:58 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

They were at a nuke plant looking for copper in the middle of the night? So they can lug all that heavy copper into a boat and get away? Copper thieves engaging in gunfights? Usually it is an inside job or crackheads on job sites stealing ac units and copper tubing.

How about the Russian attacks for the last 18 months on our network infrastructure? It is not true becuase the MSM media machine our govt controls does not report it?

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 10:10 AM
link   

In terms of tactics and efficiency, I highly doubt it was a military OP. I doubt it was a recon OP either.

Sure Transformer HW takes some time to replace but there are other things that are harder, like the power plant turbines or underground pipelines.

So bottom line, it seems there are obvious ways to improve on both dimensions. It just doesn't seem like it was well planed or had a goal other than vandalism.

If it was a planned Op by foreign intel, then they don't seem that dangerous.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 12:11 PM
link   
a reply to: InverseLookingGlass

15 of the 17 transformers were destroyed. This is not a disgruntled employee. This was a coordinated attack to judge response time and how long it would take a overload the system.

The FBI ruled it out as a terror attack as a terror attack usually has someone who claims responsbility and there is proof of why it occurred.

These guys were in, out, left rock outcroppings showing recon and no fingerprints on the shell casings.

This was not a few kids or some 'Insurgent Americans' ....it was a test.

I was only suggesting who may have been behind it and after reading the DIA report it seems to fit.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 12:14 PM
link   
a reply to: shhawsgl

Hey asshat, stop screwing up my reading with this crap!

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 12:25 PM
link   

They were at a nuke plant looking for copper in the middle of the night? So they can lug all that heavy copper into a boat and get away? Copper thieves engaging in gunfights? Usually it is an inside job or crackheads on job sites stealing ac units and copper tubing.

"He" was one thief and yah, every thing in a sub station is copper. Bus bars, windings, tools, wire, whatever. Couple hundred pounds of copper is worth hundreds.

Tools? thousands.

The security incident happened on the Tennessee River side of the plant property, more than a quarter mile from the plant’s protected area

He probably fired in the air to get away… no use offing a guard over burglarizing.

edit on 19-12-2014 by intrptr because: additional

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 02:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Wait, I though Putin is responsible for every bad thing that happens?

To OP. Nice reach. It wasn't North Korean sappers, lol. Their country is occupied and under siege by the US Military.

I live in Silicon Valley. They haven't caught anyone yet. The attack wasn't done in a "military" fashion, it was done with the thorough understanding of the local grid that only someone with inside knowledge (like disgruntled employees) could have pulled off.

North Koreans…

You realize that these two scenarios are not incompatible.

Inside knowledge of a local grid could be acquired by North Koreans by the usual ways: espionage (i.e. surveillance & hacking) and bribery of employees.

Disgruntled employees aren't likely to snipe in the middle of the night effectively and then be completely quiet. They want to be known, and want people to know them and feel their pain. Why else the 'going postal' scenario? Do disgruntled postal employees quietly sabotage mail transports? No. They blow away their supervisor and then kill themselves.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 03:02 PM
link   
The attack in California left the plant closed for over a month. This causes other parts of the grid to be accessed and can lead to outages.

The event in Tennessee happened where one person came ashore. They were confronted. They did not fire into the air. They fired multiple shots are on premise security. Why would they go to rob a place and want to carry it 1/2 a mile away? Robberies of industrial goods are almost always quick grabs.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join