It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the West a society of addicts? Or: the change of food

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: YogaGinns

oh YogaGinns - you have given me hope that you might begin to see the grand picture after all

Are you ready to discuss Diabetes?

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 03:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: YogaGinns
a reply to: anonentity

The thought has just hit me. that we might be seeing a lot more Obese people in the malls these days simply because twenty years back they would all have been dead? Its my bet if you could walk up to them and ask what medication that they were taking, it would be the usual. Their Doctor Would have told them that they were suffering from high blood pressure, Diabetes etc., and put them on the usual mass produced stuff. That would mitigate their symptoms.

That pretty much sums up what has been said all along in this thread. Are our illnesses are being created so that drugs can be prescribed?

There is a business in selling the foods that makes us gain weight and get sick. A business in diagnosing the illness/disease. And a business in creating the drugs to combat the symptoms and make us live longer. But for all of this to work on a grand scale, we need to be eating lots of the foods that make us sick in the first place. Which I believe is the premise of the OP.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quote from Tired of Control Freaks

In 1998, the American diabetes Association changed the meaning of fasting glucose concentration. It was reduced from 7.8 to 7.0, thus overnight creating thousands of new diabetics.

I will offer up my experience with this train of thought regarding cholesterol. A year or so ago my doctor called to say the my cholesterol was elevated and that she would prescribe Lipitor for me. Since I'd never had a problem before, nor is cholesterol an issue in my family, I went back to ask about the numbers. I was told that since I was now 55 there is a different calculation which put me in the "watch" zone, where I wasn't before. Not wanting to take the drug I asked for a diet plan to follow, less meats and more fruit, vegetables and grains. I was granted 6 months to lower the numbers which I was able to do without trying very hard.

At my follow up appointment she was very happy with my cholesterol and glad that the Lipitor had helped. When I reminded her that I declined the drug, she said to keep up the good work. And by the way I was borderline diabetic and would most likely need a low dose of Metformin to control it from getting worse. So again I begged of the drugs and made sure that I added more protein back into my diet and backed off on the fruits.

Fast forward to my last appointment and my fasting blood sugar was back down to 4.9 (HbA1c had been 6.1 now down to 5.9 under the radar) but hey your cholesterol is up again, I can give you a prescription for that.

I had also been to see a cardiologist and he never even mentioned the cholesterol being an issue, and he is well aware of all my medications.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am not dropping my view on the increasing waistlines and predominance of overweight/obese people now as compared to when I was a child, but I would like to hear more posters give their views on the pharma side of this topic.

Namaste,
YogaGinns

My experience was exactly the same as yours, exactly. I changed my diet and used Acetic acid in the form of Apple Cider Vinegar to get everything back to normal. I came across the Arizona trial which concluded that it was as good as Metformin. With the added bonus it dissolved the triglycerides. In fact I stopped all the pills without telling the Doc. and the relevant blood test came back, and the Doc. said keep up the good work. The research that I'd done on all the pills, concluded that the Metformin would cause leg rashes that might lead to later complications. Plus ten years on Metformin would lead to injecting insulin. The Cholesterol tablets would give you a 50% chance of cataracts within two years, and actually give you Diabetes. Along with many more side effects, but they were the main ones. So getting pro active, and using common sense is better than all the medication.

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 05:10 PM
link   

I came across the Arizona trial which concluded that it was as good as Metformin. With the added bonus it dissolved the triglycerides.

When you mention the Arizona Trial is this the documentary you are talking about?

Namaste,
YogaGinns

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 06:01 PM
link   

No I haven't seen it but I will. The trial was conducted at the Arizona state University, although small about thirty people it was significant. The participants had their fasting blood glucose monitored. In the evening before bed they had some cheese, along with a couple of capfuls of Vinegar in an eight oz. glass of water.. As far as I can gather, if a small amount of food is taken with the Vinegar, the liver doesn't bother producing glucose during the night, and the vinegar, slows the carbohydrate absorption. The conclusion was that this alone would drop the blood sugar fasting morning reading by a significant amount. As much if not more so than the Metformin. For those with normal readings, their was no change, the ones that were diabetic showed the big drops.

I did my own trial and eat the same food for two days running, and found that at that time, the morning reading that was usually 7.5 dropped to 6.5 I started to take two capfuls when I got up, and with every meal. Plus one at bedtime with a sandwich. I didn't get the big drop until, I cut out the Dairy, then the weight just fell of. I sort of concluded that if the dose dissolved the fat and slowed the carbohydrate absorption. If their was no fat in the food, it would dissolve the fat you were carrying, which seems to be the case'. After about three months, the morning reading is under 6.0. As far as I can ascertain that if the morning fasting reading shows at 7.0 on two separate occasions, you are considered diabetic. If the random reading shows 11.0 twice then you are considered diabetic. As it can peak after a meal. Now I check it about every five days , and they show according to the rational that I am no longer considered a type two diabetic. I check my blood pressure at home, during the time that I showed high sugar readings, it was well over 150+/85 even on the pills. Now the reading is 117/75. I conclude that the fats in the circulation have been dissolved. No more are going in as I have had a diet makeover etc. In fact my food intake has halved and I feel great. I get a half hour walk in every day as well as I'm naturally pretty lazy.

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: TiredofControlFreaks

Like everything else that's been discussed, I believe the change in the way commercial foods are made. As in the addition of HFCS (high fructose corn syrup) to most processed foods is responsible for the current levels of diabetes and insulin resistance.

The desire for these foods leads to increases in weight, that results in the many other diseases currently being treated. The fact that these foods are generally cheaper, and readily available, has them competing with good old fashioned home cooked meals. Choosing these products over the healthier foods makes it an problem created by some to increase illness for profit. By drawing so many into the fast food joints over and over again, ensuring a consistent market share, is the basis of the issues outlined in the OPs videos.

Namaste,
YogaGinns

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 07:11 PM
link   

I did my own trial and eat the same food for two days running, and found that at that time, the morning reading that was usually 7.5 dropped to 6.5 I started to take two capfuls when I got up, and with every meal. Plus one at bedtime with a sandwich. I didn't get the big drop until, I cut out the Dairy, then the weight just fell of. I sort of concluded that if the dose dissolved the fat and slowed the carbohydrate absorption. If their was no fat in the food, it would dissolve the fat you were carrying, which seems to be the case'.

Those results are impressive and I will research that Arizona Trial further.

I have in the past made a drink out of water, ACV (apple cider vinegar) and honey, but haven't done that in a couple of years. Thank you for reminding me of that.

Namaste,
YogaGinns

edit on 28-12-2014 by YogaGinns because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 07:42 PM
link   

I did my own trial and eat the same food for two days running, and found that at that time, the morning reading that was usually 7.5 dropped to 6.5 I started to take two capfuls when I got up, and with every meal. Plus one at bedtime with a sandwich. I didn't get the big drop until, I cut out the Dairy, then the weight just fell of. I sort of concluded that if the dose dissolved the fat and slowed the carbohydrate absorption. If their was no fat in the food, it would dissolve the fat you were carrying, which seems to be the case'.

Those results are impressive and I will research that Arizona Trial further.

I have in the past made a drink out of water, ACV (apple cider vinegar) and honey, but haven't done that in a couple of years. Thank you for reminding me of that.

Namaste,
YogaGinns

Just a note regarding the honey, before the problems mentioned, I used honey as a sweetener in coffee .Just for fun I put a test strip in an eight oz. glass with a small bit of honey in it. The test strip went black literally off the scale. This might have been pushing my blood sugar readings a lot higher as well. It might be dicey if your diabetic. Plus the more weight you carry the energy is required getting around. So the more sugar your muscles need. Its a vicious circle best avoided.

Just a footnote, a teaspoon of Metamucil in an eight oz. glass of water with the Apple Cider vinegar added is the evening drink of choice, its a nice beverage.

edit on 28-12-2014 by anonentity because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 07:47 PM
link   

a reply to: TiredofControlFreaks

Like everything else that's been discussed, I believe the change in the way commercial foods are made. As in the addition of HFCS (high fructose corn syrup) to most processed foods is responsible for the current levels of diabetes and insulin resistance.

The desire for these foods leads to increases in weight, that results in the many other diseases currently being treated. The fact that these foods are generally cheaper, and readily available, has them competing with good old fashioned home cooked meals. Choosing these products over the healthier foods makes it an problem created by some to increase illness for profit. By drawing so many into the fast food joints over and over again, ensuring a consistent market share, is the basis of the issues outlined in the OPs videos.

Namaste,
YogaGinns

Totally agree with that one.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Came across this video on how the food we buy has changed in the past half century. Profit driven to pad the bottom line on the few large companies who produce most of the foods available today.

Yes food is different today, much different, from what our parents grew up with. Interested in what you come away with after watching it.

Namaste,
YogaGinns

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 07:11 PM
link   

I was paranoid enough with regards to modern food production, but after seeing that I now know why. The careless cruelty shown by the big food producers, has a flow on effect into the general population. They should have a cut of meat called "Stinking karma". To be taken with Blood pressure pills, and statins. Because that's the reality.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 04:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: anonentity

I was paranoid enough with regards to modern food production, but after seeing that I now know why. The careless cruelty shown by the big food producers, has a flow on effect into the general population. They should have a cut of meat called "Stinking karma". To be taken with Blood pressure pills, and statins. Because that's the reality.

I agree, the more I learn about where our food comes from the more worried I get. I can at least feel good that most the food I had in my formative years was whole and unadulterated, as we couldn't afford the "convenience" type prepared stuff just coming out then. Plus, it was fortunate that I had a stay at home mom who cooked good basic fare.

Heck, I still remember going out to a farm with a friend's family to get chickens, I wasn't prepared for the fact that they would be beheaded right then and there, but that was the meaning of "fresh" from the farm and quite common back in the sixties. Do I want to pluck my own dinner? No thanks, but just maybe spending a bit more for local meats at my farmer's market is not such a bad deal after all.

It is the generations today that are brought up from the very start with all the processed foods full of additives, chemicals and GMOs now on our supermarket shelves. Sad really when you think about it.

My thoughts anyway.
Namaste,
YogaGinns

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join