It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IRS Warns Of Possible Shutdown

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 03:09 PM
link   
The IRS is throwing a temper tantrum...threatening to shutdown and delay tax refunds due to having it's bloated budget cut.
I don't know whether to applaud or to cry.

The IRS is considering its own temporary shutdown due to recent budget cuts enacted by Congress, its chief said Thursday.
IRS Commissioner John Koskinen said furloughs — forced unpaid days off for employees as part of an IRS closure — is one idea reluctantly being tossed about to save money, though they are hoping they will not have to go there.

“There is no way we can say right now that that won’t happen,” Koskinen told reporters at a press conference on the upcoming tax season. “Again, I would stress that would be the last option.”

He said a one-day closure would save an estimated $29 million.

The news comes a day after Koskinen warned IRS employees that overtime would be suspended and a hiring freeze enacted.
~~~~~~~

Koskinen said the IRS budget reductions are actually another $200 million more than what Congress cut because they had to give employee pay raises.

www.politico.com...
edit on 18-12-2014 by IAMTAT because: highlighting

edit on Thu Dec 18 2014 by DontTreadOnMe because: trimmed long quote IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

lol good...just let them shut down and stay that way...then they will whine some more when no one cares...but they do have access to those billions of rounds of ammunition the gov bought.. :/

you know..there is no better feeling than leaving a sinking ship
edit on 18-12-2014 by rockpaperhammock because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 03:21 PM
link   

'Tis the season to shut down.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

Whats really amazing is people keep buying it.

The only way the US government is going away is if somebody takes it away.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 03:28 PM
link   

They could save much more cash by not letting illegal aliens claim multiple children that do not belong to them.

Billions of dollars-at the very least.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 03:39 PM
link   

The news comes a day after Koskinen warned IRS employees that overtime would be suspended and a hiring freeze enacted.

Awwww

Let the "employees" do their jobs more efficiently then !!!!

No more screwing off on company time.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Good maybe less audits on conservatives this year

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Maybe they could go after the people that are filing foe others tax refunds instead of just writing the loss off. I bet they lose about half a billion bucks a year because of that and it makes taxpayers have to fight to get their refund. They seem to think that that is acceptable, they do not check things, desiring to make refunds go out as fast as possible. No wonder they are getting their funding cut. They need to clean house over there.

I suppose I will get audited this year for saying this.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 03:53 PM
link   

IRS budget reductions are actually another $200 million more than what Congress cut because they had to give employee pay raises.

huh? what? employee pay raises are considered budget cuts?
you gotta love the IRS and there creative accounting methods.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 03:59 PM
link   

I got a better idea.

Just drop all cases in progress.... They'd save a billion.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Wait.......the IRS is threatening to shutdown???????

Seriously??? Will they actually shutdown?? Is this a promise?

I double dog dare them. Actually, pretty pretty please IRS...shutdown.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Only if.....
It just so happens that I haven't received a refund in decades. I learned a long time ago that I would rather have the money in my pocket throughout the year rather than lend it to the government at 0% interest. I always owe a modest amount every year and that's the way I like it.
Personally I think they should be shut down permanently and the income tax revised to a straight flat tax. That's the fairest of taxation methods.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 04:47 PM
link   

I missed the news that hell froze over.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 05:08 PM
link   
The Agency should be eliminated.

All their employees fired and some investigated for obvious lawbreaking.

I liked the old way we picked Presidents....We Voted.

This makes my day...

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 05:09 PM
link   
I see the real story here as being they can't do their job for $10.9 billion? Come on!!!

I suppose since a greedy union and grossly overpaid employees destroyed a major auto manufacturer, they can certainly destroy a government agency.

I think the real problem is that it seems to take a half dozen government employees to do the work of a single worker in the private sector. I count two in my small group of friends and they never miss an opportunity to brag about how much work they can miss without having a dime deducted from their pay. They tell me they can miss three months simply by lying about the reason and use it like vacation time. I'm sure that plays a huge role in this as well as the budgets of any government agency.

If the government is involved, its almost a given that the private sector could pay just as well and do the same job with far fewer people, for far less money. There is no incentive for any agency funded by the taxpayers to be frugal or actually do a good job, just like it is impossible for people who can't be fired to be expected to give a damn.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Koskinen also said more tough news would likely follow as IRS leadership negotiates with the National Treasury Employees Union, particularly because personnel costs comprise about 75 percent of the IRS costs.

Now I'm not anti-union. I actually belonged to a union many, many, years ago. However, why do government employees need a union? Part of the US government's responsibility is to make sure that employees at large are treated fairly. That would indicate to me that a union, whose responsibility is to make sure that union members are treated fairly, is redundant and unnecessary.

dex

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 07:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: DexterRiley

Koskinen also said more tough news would likely follow as IRS leadership negotiates with the National Treasury Employees Union, particularly because personnel costs comprise about 75 percent of the IRS costs.

Now I'm not anti-union. I actually belonged to a union many, many, years ago. However, why do government employees need a union? Part of the US government's responsibility is to make sure that employees at large are treated fairly. That would indicate to me that a union, whose responsibility is to make sure that union members are treated fairly, is redundant and unnecessary.

dex

refer to your signature......

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 07:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: macman

Wait.......the IRS is threatening to shutdown???????

Seriously??? Will they actually shutdown?? Is this a promise?

I double dog dare them. Actually, pretty pretty please IRS...shutdown.

keep dreaming...they are shutting down to avoid refunds...have no fear they will open up ready for tax time next year

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 07:19 PM
link   
My spidey senses are telling me that these bozos aren't going to be seeing much empathy and/or support from the public.

And besides that, does the IRS have the legal right to shutdown the flow of government revenues ?

I should think not.

So bluff away, little IRS troglodytes, bluff away.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Guess they aren't getting enough attention.. let them shut down. Really? It sure won't make a difference in the long run anyway. Some of these lifelong GOV types are really beginning to annoy me with their idle threats...

I guess they forgot they work for us!!!!! So let them quit. Just like PATCO. Those foolish Air Traffic controllers ALL lost there jobs when President Regan was King!

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Hell Yeah.

Let them shut down, and never open their doors again.

LONG OVER DUE!.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join