It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Paramount Bans Showing ‘Team America’

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

I recieved a death threat last week and did not call the police.

I didn't feel it was a serious threat, so I blew it off.

Just like this deal, it's not a serious threat and no action needs taken.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 03:08 PM
link   
This is so stupid. Beyond stupid, beyond asinine, we're into the realm of needing a new word invented to describe exactly how brain-dead stupid bowing to someone's dislike of a film and thus yanking it from the theaters is. Grow the bleep up, NoKo, it's a movie.

I may have to indeed buy this movie now, their previous fuming over it got my attention when I hadn't heard of it. Unless they decide to bully Sony further & prevent direct to DVD or PPV sales, and they bury it in the company vault somewhere to rot for who knows how long. Which I wouldn't entirely discount, it IS North Korea, and they're making it very clear they can have epic tantrums to get their way over the most idiotic crap.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

i saw that video the other day.
im quite bothered by this whole thing.

i dont see why we(people, the country, the studios, etc) are caving and pulling these movies due to threats.
this is supposed to be a free country.
i know i know. sony owns the rights and they are within their rights to keep it on the shelf.

imo though, they were into it before. they gave it the green light. they financed it.
now that there are some threats we have to drop to our knees...

it sucks

team america has been out for years. millions of people have already seen it and now we are too damn soft to play it at the theater.

this is ridiculous.
i dont care if it is in bad taste. thats not the point.
in this country, we should be allowed to make and release movies.
i cant believe the actions(words) of people from another country are preventing this.

complete BS

i would love to see sony release this movie on the internet for free, right now to make a point.

the US does not negotiate with terrorists, but we will get on our knees for terrorist

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

It's simple for someone sitting behind a computer screen to try and understand...

But for a Corporation, who I'm sure have received more Intelligence information from the Agencies than you or I are privy too...
Well it's a different story.

Arrogance come to mind.

Again, if people had been hurt, where would all the "Our Nuts are too big to give in" be?
It likely wouldn't be you planning a funeral for someone.

You can sit there all day and say GOP are a non-threat.
This Multi Billion Dollar Corporation, who have been given all the details available while others sit here and speculate, obviously think differently about that.

& for people to come on here and say they're #ssys is just comedic.

Saying anything else is just rationalizing why you fear terrorism.

That's presumptuous & wrong.

Let's hope you never own a business that goes through similar circumstances...
Because your decisions could potentially lead people to a gruesome end.
edit on 18-12-2014 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I wonder, though. Viral Marketing campaigns have long existed in today's instant information age.

Is it possible, just maybe, that Sony engineered this "hack" and "threat" in order to drum up hype about the movie, pull it from theaters, only to announce days before Christmas that they're going to go ahead and show it anyway?

Perhaps this is a viral marketing campaign that got out of hand.

C'mon, this IS a conspiracy website, someone HAD to say it.
edit on 18-12-2014 by ScientificRailgun because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

If a movie isn't released to theaters, its because they know it will flop. These guys will love it though…

How America sees the world…

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

& that would be the equivalent of you receiving numerous death threats.

You've twisted my analogy to fit yours.

& no one has answered my questions.

Because you damn well know if you received death threats you'd call the police and take precaution.
Why is Sony to be held to some sort of fantasy, Heroic stance but not the everyday citizen?

It all boils down to sacrifice...
A crap propaganda film...
Or potentially people's lives....

Thank the Lord that it isn't you lot making these decisions.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: jude11

& you'll be chipping in to pay for people's funerals will you?

A U.S branch off of a Japanese conglomerate doesn't have to abide by your version of freedom of speech.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 03:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs

A crap propaganda film...
Or potentially people's lives....

what about the next movie? the next book?
the next whatever

every time lives are threatened, are we(whoever was threatened) supposed to just bow down and obey?

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

kim jong un is the closest thing north korea has to a jesus. in terms of authority anyway. people were getting pretty upset about iron skies 2 revealing a machine-gun toting jesus just a few days back...thats kind of how korea feels about this movie.
edit on 18-12-2014 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Does Tommy Lee Jones need to make another appearance?

The way you view Americans is insulting, and I don't even considering myself one anymore.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

I don't know, Charlie. We go to the movies every Christmas, it's our family tradition. When I think of the shootings, whether be be movie theaters or schools or shopping centers, in the USA, they've all been done by "lone gun men", supposedly.

If this "group" whoever they are, has the ability to perpetrate "911 scenario" I doubt that NOT showing a movie would stop them. Further, if they did perpetrate a 911 scenario in defense of North Korea's Kim Jong Un the US would consider that an act of war. Do you think Sony and Paramount are keeping America from a war with North Korea? I don't. I think this is more just pandering to fear BS.

edit on 18-12-2014 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 03:24 PM
link   

a reply to: Krazysh0t

It's simple for someone sitting behind a computer screen to try and understand...

But for a Corporation, who I'm sure have received more Intelligence information from the Agencies than you or I are privy too...
Well it's a different story.

Arrogance come to mind.

BULLCRAP! The government are the ones saying there is no credible threat from Guardians of Peace.

Terrorist threats are no laughing matter, of course, but the Department of Homeland Security has found no credible threat, and evidence that the Guardians of Peace have any sort of manpower that could do anything within the boundaries of the United States (much less at thousands of locations simultaneously) is practically non-existent. This sort of panicked cowardice would be absurd if it wasn't so damn sad.

So what pray tell would they be telling Sony and not us? You are just creating narrative because you fear terrorism. Didn't you get tired of that spiel in the 2000 decade?

Again, if people had been hurt, where would all the "Are Nuts are too big to give in" be?
It likely wouldn't be you planning a funeral for someone.

People die; it's a fact of life, but I'd be willing to bet against something happening in any case. You appear to like succumbing to fear.

You can sit there all day and say GOP are a non-threat.
This Multi Billion Dollar Corporation, who have been given all the details available while others sit here and speculate, obviously think differently about that.

Because they are cowards. Duh.

& for people to come on here and say they're #ssys is just comedic.

Yes, Sony is a laughingstock now. Good call.

That's presumptuous & wrong.

You haven't said anything to sway my opinion, just more and more fear rhetoric that I've heard billions of times before from the Bush administration.

Let's hope you never own a business that goes through similar circumstances...
Because your decisions could potentially lead people to a gruesome end.

Appeal to emotion fallacy.
edit on 18-12-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Grovit

Would it not be better to cease making offensive sh#...

But to fully answer your question, it all depends on who is threatened & why?

If innocent people are being threatened because a Corporation give the green light to offend an entire Country...
I'd say it then the responsibility of that Corporation to do the right thing.

I'm sorry but Hollywood trying to make a Political point is not as important as the people who could be affected.

SS agencies ignored the warnings of Cavemen coming to knock down buildings with Airliners...
And they sound more of a non-threat than a group of nefarious hackers who brought a MultiBillion Dollar Corporation to its knees...imo.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

The way you view Americans is insulting, and I don't even considering myself one anymore.

Real Americans aren't fooled by 'comedies' about assassinating foreign leaders.

You claim you are no longer american, I don't have any idea who you are. Except that you join in bashing the world on their behalf.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I'm hearing rumors.

Maybe the White House/DHS put the screws to the movies.

They fear backlash from the secret U.S./North Korea trade negotiations.

Nothing surprises me anymore.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Because you damn well know if you received death threats you'd call the police and take precaution.

But I would not remain in my house like some cowed wimp.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   

a reply to: jude11

& you'll be chipping in to pay for people's funerals will you?

A U.S branch off of a Japanese conglomerate doesn't have to abide by your version of freedom of speech.

I believe MY version of free speech is more in line with what it actually means than your version. But it's probably not easy to see it very clearly when you're hiding under the bed.

I'm going to go out to watch a movie, whichever one I choose and wherever I choose. I'll probably pick up a banned book, an illegal sized soda and a pop-tart shaped gun along the way.

I'll let you know when the "ALL CLEAR" is given.

Peace

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 03:34 PM
link   
This is bad.

It would be bad if someone lost their lives if they showed this and there was a terror attack at a theater, but...what has happened is worse. We've become a nation of cowards...of bullying victims.

We know it's better to die on your feet then live on your knees. I'm an American and I don't cower to nobody. If I could show it at my business, I would...on Christmas day. Doors wide open. Send me a copy...I'll follow it up with Team America. Let's do this.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hellhound604
Well, I wonder what the response would be if America's biggest enemy makes a comedy movie assassinating America's hero president (guess it would be a conservative, white dude, not Obama, seeing that Americans hate him that much), and show just how stupid Americans are.... Heck, even better, make a comedy about 9/11 showing the incompetence of the great USA....

I guess then the Americans would be up and screaming insisting that the movie be banned too .....

Why don't we rather focus on the good points in others, rather than ridiculing them, and then respond with anger and disbelief when they are angered by the ridicule?

If it were good satire americans would probably laugh at it. We like our comedy.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join