It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Do Tree Rings Sound Like When Played on a Record Player?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Barholomäus Traubeck has combined music with science by custom-building turntables that “play” slices of tree trunks. The art installation is called “Years” because of the rings' ability to date trees. The record player uses a PlayStation Eye Camera and a stepper motor to read the rings on the trees’ cross sections just like a record player reads the grooves on a vinyl record. Although the tree rings don’t sound musical themselves, they are translated into music by a computer which converts data gathered by the record player into a piano track using Ableton Live.

Despite the fact that the custom system “interprets” rather than “plays” the trees, the song produced varies with each piece of wood. Listen to one of the recordings, below!

I had no idea where to put this so since trees grow in the earth, well I put it here

But it is so awesome.

pulseradio.net...

The Voice of the Trees by Bartholomaus Traubeck

youtu.be...

then there is this one

youtu.be...

edit on 113131p://bThursday2014 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 11:30 AM
link   
so the software pics up signals and convers to sound ,skip the tree rings you will have the same result
now understding how it is done i find the music/sound very eerie ...
edit on 18-12-2014 by haven123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 11:32 AM
link   
a reply to: haven123

I saw this floating around on the internet maybe a month or so ago, it's actually the natural pips and crevasses in the tree's rings that produce the sound, so if you take the tree rings out, no you won't get the same result.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Please post to existing thread.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Closed.

top topics

join