It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sony Calls on Media to Stop Publishing Hacked Documents

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Source:www.latimes.com...

I understand Sony is making this appeal to save themselves from more embarrassment. I don't blame them. Ouch.

But in the big picture, the hackers are unquestionably hoping to damage Sony, and embarrass them as much as possible.
Considering this, is the media not assisting the hackers by printing the unsavory emails? Essentially delivering what the hackers wanted? They know if they hack these embarrassing emails, all they do is make them available to the media, and they will complete the dirty work?

How important is it that we read a few insults about Angelina Jolie, and a few contrived remarks about what a crappy movie they've made?
Seriously?

Mind you, I don't care about Sony's hurt feelings. What I do care about is media-assisted hacking.

I think even if we spoke loudly to the media "We don't want to read the silly emails", they would spread them anyway. It wouldn't do any good. It has become clear that with no scruples whatsoever, they will do whatever they can for their 15 minutes.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 06:53 PM
link   
I don't have any sympathy for them.
They are adults and should realize that anything that you type in the digital realm has the real possibility of being seen by people that were not intended recipients.

Like dimwit Hollywood stars making sex tapes and then being shocked that people would steal and sell copies of them.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Oooooh, releasing such earth shattering things such as Alex Trebeck Almost quit Jeopardy, or George Clooney cares what his critics think....not since the likes of Snowden have we heard such revelations!!!! God who cares, I smell something awful with this whole "hacking" thing. Something else IS at play here....
edit on 17-12-2014 by thesmokingman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Without reading the link story (it's not working), I bet the insurance companies are worried about giant lawsuits from all angles.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Well I'd look at it like this...

Since when did the ones releasing nefarious information about agencies & conglomerates become the villain in this world controlled by the corporations?

Considering all the Musicians Sony has murdered I'd say this is their dominance & supremacy, of many talented people who have been taken from us & more importantly their families, this is their dominance & supremacy catching up with them.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 07:09 PM
link   
It's not working! Sorry.

Here's another one which uses the word "warning" to people who publish them.

Source: www.usatoday.com...

Sony Pictures Entertainment, reeling from hacker attacks, told news organizations Sunday that they may be held liable for damages if they publish the contents of its hacked e-mails and files.

The warning, which was sent to publishers in a three-page letter from Sony's lawyer David Boies and published by tech news site Re/code, said leaked e-mails, documents and other files amount to "stolen information" and that Sony "does not consent to your possession, review, copying, dissemination, publication, uploading, downloading, or making any use of the Stolen Information."

"If you do not comply with this request, and the Stolen Information is used or disseminated by you in any manner, SPE will no choice but to hold you responsible for any damage or loss arising from such use," wrote Boies, the high-profile attorney who has represented Al Gore and financier Hank Greenberg.

Woo! Threatening litigation. Now that kinda irks me. However, another article says some of the emails discuss salaries, and financial information, even personnel numbers and such.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 07:11 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

Well I'd look at it like this...

I'm still looking for a link that works. Sorry about this. Not sure what happened.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Okay here's the deal. The article in the LA Times is gone. It was there, I promise. Now it's not. Or I can't find it. Even did a search on the site. Gone, baby gone.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 07:23 PM
link   
a reply to: ladyinwaiting

It's here LA Times

edit on 17/12/2014 by LukeDAP because: spelling

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 07:27 PM
link   
a reply to: ladyinwaiting

No problem lady, my friend, I think the way I formatted my response may have led you to believe I was pushing you for a link...
That's not the case.

S&F btw.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 07:29 PM
link   
a reply to: LukeDAP

Oh thanks so much! I was beginning to be concerned about my own perceptions!

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 07:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
I don't have any sympathy for them.
They are adults and should realize that anything that you type in the digital realm has the real possibility of being seen by people that were not intended recipients.

You are right of course, but the problem I have is it should not be this way in the first place? Sending those emails was dumb I agree.

However, we should be able to be secure in our privacy with private emails to anyone from anyplace. We are not because the government seems to be above the law in their snooping and because of the criminals who engage in hacking.

If a burglar were to break into someones home and steal documents and mail, should it then become fair game? I see this as the same. A hacker is no different, no matter the scale and no matter the reason IMO.

The media does not need to spread this stuff, they want to no matter what they say. Lowlifes, do lowlife things like publish stolen, private emails. The media should be called out on this, but too many people are into gossip and they know it.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 08:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

Hi Blaine and thanks for your contribution. I agree with everything you said.

Additionally, I hold to what I said in the OP. I still think the media is giving a big fat ASSIST to the hackers.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 08:36 PM
link   
The only way I can possibly relate to Sony asking the media not to publish the hacked information is when it is dealing with the movie scripts, such as the as of yet unreleased Bond film Spectre. They put millions of dollars into the creation of the film, and deserve to not have something potentially leave a large dent on their return. Just as much as you or I deserve to see the fruits of our labors.

The embarrassment aspect ? Cry me a river.

-NF

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 09:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555
You are right of course, but the problem I have is it should not be this way in the first place? Sending those emails was dumb I agree.

However, we should be able to be secure in our privacy with private emails to anyone from anyplace. We are not because the government seems to be above the law in their snooping and because of the criminals who engage in hacking.

There is no right to be secure in your communications with a corporation. They have access to the ISP's and they can and will use anything you've said against you. What they say being public information is nothing compared to their crimes against us on a daily basis.

There is a lesson to be learned here if you didn't already know it: Be careful what you write down in the digital age. Anything you write down from emails, to forum posts, to pen and paper that's saved will come out if you're given enough scrutiny. We practically demand it of politicians. Fair is fair.

As far as Sony goes, this is a multinational corporation that wants DNS control over the internet, changes terms of use on products you buy after you buy them, and apparently has some of the worst computer security people on the planet. They deserve what they get. There is a reason Sony is always the target.

And we haven't even gotten into the philosophy on free and open access to information which results in transparency.
edit on 17-12-2014 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 10:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

I read somewhere that some of their passwords were actually "password" and 123456. At Sony!

Hard to imagine............

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Dear Sony,

Stop wasting money chasing pirated software and trying to enforce your 1990's style of profiteering. Instead, invest in your IT Security. How many billions have you made over the decades?

You dropped the ball, someone pulled down your pants and now your paying the price of embarrassment.

Let it be a lesson to you. The media are doing exactly what they are there to do, just because your ashamed of your past doesn't mean they need to ignore their role in society.

new topics

top topics

join